ART: I know it when I see it

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

ART: I know it when I see it

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:12 am

From One World Street Art on Twitter -Street Art Only on this site: Dreamcatcher
DY2b8QnXUAELE3U.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

MsDaisy

Re: ART: I know it when I see it

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:17 am

Wow, that's cool :thumbs:

Birfers are toast

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:22 am

Cool!

There are lots of places where there's really neat street art. Buenos Aires has some cool stuff and I love Reykjavik's. I'm sure there's lots more around the world.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:20 pm

If it looks in person like it looks in the photo, that is quite some statement.

:thumbs:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:25 am

The Letter by Duffy Sheridan Oil on Canvas

https://artrenewal.org/Home/SiteSearch
the_letter-large_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:35 pm

https://sm.mulplayer.com/article/21559/ ... f0,4193045

I want one, but can't choose! Moar at site.
Artists Anya Stasenko and Slava Leontyev work together to create little sculptures of whimsical creatures both real and imagined that are as adorable as they are weird…br /
5_1.jpg

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:07 pm

http://kengarex.com/27-stunning-illustr ... ghts-1907/
27 Stunning Illustrations by Edmund Dulac for Stories from the Arabian nights, 1907

Edmund Dulac (1882 – 1953) was a French-born, British naturalised magazine illustrator, book illustrator and stamp designer. Born in Toulouse he studied law but later turned to the study of art at the École des Beaux-Arts. He moved to London early in the 20th century and in 1905 received his first commission to illustrate the novels of the Brontë Sisters. During World War I, Dulac produced relief books and when after the war the deluxe children’s book market shrank he turned to magazine illustrations among other ventures. He designed banknotes during World War II and postage stamps, most notably those that heralded the beginning of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign.
0_1044a3_c86d420c_orig-768x1089.jpg

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 am

Da6NNjIXcAAj2Qy.jpeg

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:05 am

That is delightful. Info????

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:48 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:05 am
That is delightful. Info????
This is Cats in a Tree which is a linocut. The artist was born in England in 1906, moved to Australia as an adult, then moved to New Zealand for the remainder of her life (1994). She illustrated many books.

http://www.thegreatcat.org/the-cat-in-a ... zealander/

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 am

Not at all what I thought it was, but wow. I have now have a new favorite.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 pm

A personal favorite, a colorized version of Camille Flammarion’s wood cut Universum:
universum.jpg
The original caption reads: A missionary of the Middle Ages tells that he had found the point where the sky and the Earth touch.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Love it!!!!!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Love all those above. Dulac has always been a favorite.

Is the cats in trees artist, Ms. mayo, related in anyway to our maydijo, (I swear one day I’ll ask her what the heck that means. My personal favorite guess is mayonaisse and Dijon mixed together)?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Some of Dulac's works remind me of batik. But they're not done that way, are they?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:25 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:21 pm
Some of Dulac's works remind me of batik. But they're not done that way, are they?
I don't know.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:26 pm

DbA7wSHUQAAyOLa.jpeg

Al Tucci
https://altucciart.com/al-tucci-art-gallery/

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:31 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:21 pm
I'm pretty sure he was an illustrator. No batik.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

DbUN3GVWkAERmy1.jpeg
Miami artist SNIK.

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:37 pm

In the brand new cancer center here there's a “meditation/rest” area with lots of windows, floor to ceiling and lots of modern “art”. Paintings as well as blown glass abstract things hang from the high ceilings. The most puzzling art piece is a painting about 3 foot by 4 foot. The canvas is covered with a layer of a sort of maroon color maybe slightly graded. Across the middle is a straight black line. That is all. Hummmmm

Bloom where you're planted 🌷

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:15 pm

WriteItDown wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:37 pm
In the brand new cancer center here there's a “meditation/rest” area with lots of windows, floor to ceiling and lots of modern “art”. Paintings as well as blown glass abstract things hang from the high ceilings. The most puzzling art piece is a painting about 3 foot by 4 foot. The canvas is covered with a layer of a sort of maroon color maybe slightly graded. Across the middle is a straight black line. That is all. Hummmmm
Is it a Rothko? Sit and watch it for a whole. It sucks you in. It’s not a static piece of art.

What’s the center? Is the glass Chihuly?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:25 pm

If the place has Chihuly glass somebody not only had good taste but also some money.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:15 pm
WriteItDown wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:37 pm
Is it a Rothko? Sit and watch it for a whole. It sucks you in. It’s not a static piece of art.

What’s the center? Is the glass Chihuly?
Yes, I looked it up and it is Chjhuly. Shows you that all my taste is in my mouth huh? The sculptures are very colorful and fun but not really my cup of tea. There are probably 2 dozen pieces of it. So. It must have been a donation to the center. Not many Universities have huge art budgets. I will look at them more carefully and maybe pot a couple of photos.

By the term center do you mean of the art work. I think you mean the University of Nebraska Buffet Cancer center. The Buffet center is really new and shiney bright.

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Sorry about the typo Chihuly

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:07 pm

The words 'Nebraska' and 'Buffet' in one phrase like that can only mean Warren Buffet, the multi-millionaire Oracle of Omaha. He has put his money to good use, donating millions to charities and institutions.

Regarding Chihuly, I'd love to see photos of his work if you could post them. I've seen his exhibits and installations whenever I've been near one and find them fascinating. Once, in Las Vegas, I sat on the floor in a corner of the Bellagio Hotel lobby for at least half an hour admiring his ceiling.

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Return to “The Lounge”