ART: I know it when I see it

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: ART: I know it when I see it

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 pm
The Monet exhibition will be in the Hamilton Building. It is named after Frederic C. Hamilton who headed the fundraising drive for the $110 million building. In 2014, he bequeathed 22 impressionist paintings to DAM, four of which are by Monet.

The building's odd shape is said to create equilibrium problems for some people.

Hamilton Building - Denver Art Museum
Love it!
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu May 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:48 pm
Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 pm
The Monet exhibition will be in the Hamilton Building. It is named after Frederic C. Hamilton who headed the fundraising drive for the $110 million building. In 2014, he bequeathed 22 impressionist paintings to DAM, four of which are by Monet.

The building's odd shape is said to create equilibrium problems for some people.

Hamilton Building - Denver Art Museum
Good art often throws people off balance.
Yeah, but so does bad art. :rolleye:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun May 05, 2019 12:49 pm

April 30 ·
Very powerful! WINNER 2019 Port Aransas Sand Fest Sculpture - “Liberty is Crumbling” 😢🇺🇸
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 07, 2019 11:00 am

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue May 07, 2019 12:55 pm

:shock:
"Islam loved Hitler and his elk.” - SSG Moe Ron

tencats

Post by tencats » Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 am

Facebook Bans Artist For Transforming MAGA Hats:

Kate Kretz
May 20
A Cautionary Tale on Art, Censorship & Social Media

I’m one of those artists who’s been plugging away in the studio for the past thirty years. Part of the Art World’s middle tier, I am perpetually hovering on the edge of my “big break”, but I no longer hold my breath in wait for it. I have work in a few important collections, and a 25-page CV. I’ve won Arts Council grants in all the states I’ve lived in, I have a few nice exhibition catalogs, and have been in museum shows across the country and abroad. I hope to move up a few more rungs on the art world ladder before I die, but that’s far less important to me than consistently making work I am proud of.

Presently, all but the top 1% of artists are struggling. Several artist grants have dried up, and sales have declined, leaving creatives to expend more energy simply trying to make ends meet. So many middle-tier galleries have closed that a large number of artists like myself are managing our own careers full-time while making art. Social media has been a tremendous help in this area: I can create a new work, post it, get instant feedback, and often, within a few weeks or months, get offers to exhibit it. While a few hundred to a few thousand people might see my art “in real life” during the course of an exhibition, a strong, well-photographed image placed on social media can reach ten times as many eyes through multiple “shares”.

Read more at

Return to “The Lounge”