Pedestrian bridge collapse at Florida International University FIU Miami

RTH10260

Re: Pedestrian bridge collapse at Florida International University FIU Miami

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:55 pm

tencats wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:20 pm
Cracks in FIU bridge grew to ‘shocking’ size days before collapse, new photos show

Cracks that appeared in the Florida International University bridge days before it collapsed were far more extensive than previously disclosed, according to photographs included in a preliminary report issued Thursday by the National Transportation Safety Board.

The photos show four alarming-looking cracks — one at least 3 1/2 inches deep into the bridge’s deck — developing in precisely the section of the span that is believed to have failed on March 15, killing five motorists and one worker.

Given the size of the cracks, the photos raise new questions about why officials at FIU, the Florida Department of Transportation and the private contractors running the project did not seek to shut down the busy road underneath the bridge.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... rylink=cpy
[img]https:// i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/10/04/4EFA757400000578-6046109-Pictured_Large_cracks_that_appeared_on_the_walkway_to_Florida_In-m-7_1533873410291.jpg[/img]
[img]https:// bobcat.grahamdigital.com/001a231589d0b666b0895f028de4fff6f14e792d/crop-640x360-000.jpg[/img]
Photos show cracks in FIU bridge grew before tragedy

More.
NTSB pictures show cracks on FIU bridge days before collapse
https://www.local10.com/news/florida/mi ... e-collapse
I am shocked, why did the journalist not question why the transport and installation was not halted rather than discussing a road block? :brickwallsmall:

Whip

Post by Whip » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:33 pm

agreed. that's some hardcore negligence allowing that to even be moved.

tek

Post by tek » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 pm

My reading is that these cracks are after it was set in place.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Whip

Post by Whip » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm

tek wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 pm
it collapsed the day it was put in place didn't it?

TollandRCR

Re: Pedestrian bridge collapse at Florida International University FIU Miamivetsityes donor kill

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 pm

FIU was committed to Accelerated Bridge Construction. It may have forgotten a simple rule: universities do not kill people. Even if there is good theoretical reason to think you are not doing so. Caution rules. FIU seems to have missed that.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

tek

Post by tek » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Whip wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm
tek wrote:
IIRC it was in place and collapsed later when some adjustments were being made.

A truckload of bricks

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Whether those “adjustments” could have made the bridge safe is an issue.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

vic

Post by vic » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:14 pm

tek wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:50 pm
Whip wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm
tek wrote:
IIRC it was in place and collapsed later when some adjustments were being made.
You are correct.

This wikipedia article says
On March 13, the third day after lifting of the main span, the project's lead engineer discovered cracks at the north end of the span (the end that later broke)
That would put the lifting on Saturday, March 10. This CNN article agrees that the span was lifted on Saturday:
The 174-foot main span had been assembled on the side of the road, allowing traffic to continue. Then, on Saturday -- at the start of FIU's weeklong spring break -- a rig moved the span into position over the street as community members gathered to watch. The process took about six hours.
And returning to the wikipedia article:
At 1:47 p.m. on March 15th, the north end of the installed bridge span sagged deeply as the first diagonal fractured, folded, and immediately dropped the heavy full span onto the roadway below.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Whip wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:33 pm
Ahem - snippet from above:
MiamiHerald wrote:Cracks that appeared in the ... bridge days before it collapsed

Whip

Post by Whip » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:27 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:41 pm
Whip wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:33 pm
Ahem - snippet from above:
MiamiHerald wrote:Cracks that appeared in the ... bridge days before it collapsed
I agree that's what it says but I was always under the impression it collapsed the same day in was being installed and why everyone was calling for stopping traffic. I was clearly incorrect as was pointed out upthread.

Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Wait wait wait is my timeline correct?

They noticed small cracks (prior to installation or after lifting into place/ after modification of lift process).

These small cracks became the huge f-ing cracks (pictured above) after placement. They discovered these cracks and photographed them.

And still they preceded to tighten the cross bolt thingys (seriously blanking on the name) / Fix crack problem on north end and DIDN’T SHUT DOWN THE DAMN ROAD!!!!

Truthfully, my physics is quite rusty but my brain still can’t wrap itself around this gross miscalculation. Was the a need to be on schedule- prove to the world they could do it be damned.

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:45 pm

An ideological commitment to Accejerated Bridge Cinstructiion coupled with low safety standards explains why the street was not closed ABC also explains the silence from thst part of the FIU community. It failed.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Mary Quite Contrary wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm
Wait wait wait is my timeline correct?

They noticed small cracks (prior to installation or after lifting into place/ after modification of lift process).

These small cracks became the huge f-ing cracks (pictured above) after placement. They discovered these cracks and photographed them.

And still they preceded to tighten the cross bolt thingys (seriously blanking on the name) / Fix crack problem on north end and DIDN’T SHUT DOWN THE DAMN ROAD!!!!

Truthfully, my physics is quite rusty but my brain still can’t wrap itself around this gross miscalculation. Was the a need to be on schedule- prove to the world they could do it be damned.
Thank you. I gots engineers in the fambly, and I'm pretty sure any competent engineer would have life-and-limb safetied the operation at the first sign of a potential structural problem. He or she would perhaps have OK'd proceeding with the plan, but only after (in this case) stopping the damn traffic.

Of course, it's possible that those who observed and photographed the problems never actually reported them to a bona fide engineer.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

tek

Post by tek » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:41 pm

I guess I'm surprised the responsible engineer didn't do an inspection walkaround before the readjustment was done.
Or if he/she did, didn't raise an alarm.

But I'm a electrical/computer engineer, so I don't know how things are done in the civil/mechanical world.

A truckload of bricks

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:39 pm

The cracks appeared even before they hoisted the bridge up to it's final position. They got substantially larger after the bridge was in place. It's looking like the design was flawed, not necessarily the construction. According to everything I have read, the construction seemed to have been done according to design. I wonder how much of the design flaw had to do with changes that were made to the design after it was determined the north side would have to move 11 feet. That is the side that cracked and ultimately failed.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:09 pm

I come from a family of engineers too. This has been an long discussion between my brothers (all engineers) and I. (I opted for medicine instead to be cool). They collectively cannot comprehend this lastest development. I truly hope some people are charged and end with substantial jail time.

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:02 am

Why Florida law may shield companies behind deadly FIU bridge from criminal charges
BY NICHOLAS NEHAMAS AND DAVID OVALLE
August 14, 2018 07:00 AM

Engineers working for Florida International University saw gaping cracks open in their brand-new bridge.

Someone thought the damage was sufficiently ominous to take a series of pictures. But no one thought to share the photos with employees at the Florida Department of Transportation, which could have ordered the road closed and traffic diverted.

When the bridge collapsed two days later, on March 15, six people died.

In the judgment of independent engineering experts, ignoring the cracks — which ran like chasms through a crucial support at the north side of the bridge — amounted to professional misconduct.

Could it also have been a crime?

The answer may lie in a meeting that occurred the morning of the catastrophic collapse.

Records and recollections from the meeting could reveal who shot the photos, who viewed them, and who — if anyone — thought they were serious enough to warrant closing the state road known as Tamiami Trail. But FDOT has refused to disclose documents from the two-hour meeting, leading the Miami Herald to sue for their release in an ongoing case.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... 42965.html

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:46 am

There definitely were cracks before the span was lifted into place; I posted a photo of one of them.

Return to “Science & Technology”