Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Arizona behaving badly and otherwise

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:

And I like the new avatar! :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Delarin
Verified: ❌ This is not the Delarin you're looking for.

Post by Delarin »

Gregg wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:28 pm They hold out past the Monday deadline and Katie Hobbs closes the statewide election without those votes, and now the AG votes is not close enough for a recount and also too the Congressional vote flips the seat to a Democrat.
Too, also, with at least 4 or 5 House Republicans already opposing Kevin McCarthy for Speaker, one more flip could allow the Democrats to choose, amirite?

(The WP link above worked for me without a subscription, but might need a gift link. I recently cleared my browser cookies etc., so I don't know if I get a few freebies before hitting the paywall or not.)
bob

Post by bob »

Delarin wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:54 pm Too, also, with at least 4 or 5 House Republicans already opposing Kevin McCarthy for Speaker, one more flip could allow the Democrats to choose, amirite?
The Speaker is elected if they have a majority of the votes cast. Republicans could not vote, or some could just vote "present," and McCarthy would still be elected.

Boehner, for example, was elected in 2015 with 216 votes. Pelosi in 2021 also was elected with 216 votes.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

much ado wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:23 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:49 pm The problem with this scenario is that the person that needs to charge them is Brnovich, who is currently going after Maricopa county where nothing illegal happened, and ignoring Cochise county, where something illegal is definitely happening.
Can't they be charged after the new AG is in office on January 2, 2023? So they would not be immediately charged, but they would still be charged.
I dunno, but the situation will be resolved one way or the other by then and I doubt anyone will be interested in reopening that particular can of worms.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:49 pm The problem with this scenario is that the person that needs to charge them is Brnovich, who is currently going after Maricopa county where nothing illegal happened, and ignoring Cochise county, where something illegal is definitely happening.
He won't be the one to charge them in January though. And don't discount how pissed off 17,000 people who's votes were tossed out because the County Commissioners in Cochise County think a few dozen people didn't get to vote in Maricopa County, despite them saying that they don't think the machines are certified even though the State and Federal Government assured them that they are.

Nope, the statute of limitations lasts longer than The Nunchuck AG and I AM HERE FOR IT! :popcorn:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

bob wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:59 pm
Delarin wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:54 pm Too, also, with at least 4 or 5 House Republicans already opposing Kevin McCarthy for Speaker, one more flip could allow the Democrats to choose, amirite?
The Speaker is elected if they have a majority of the votes cast. Republicans could not vote, or some could just vote "present," and McCarthy would still be elected.

Boehner, for example, was elected in 2015 with 216 votes. Pelosi in 2021 also was elected with 216 votes.
But, and I have been screaming this into the Wilderness, the Democrats could in theory find half a dozen sane Republicans and ask them to pick a Coalition Speaker from among themselves with Democratic votes. All the Dems might want is to to keep EmptyGee off Committees, limit the investigations that let's be real will hurt Republicans more than Democrats and pass a few bills that everyone agrees might be a good idea.

That, honestly, is how Government is supposed to work.

bob

Post by bob »

Gregg wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:25 pm But, and I have been screaming this into the Wilderness, the Democrats could in theory find half a dozen sane Republicans and ask them to pick a Coalition Speaker from among themselves with Democratic votes.
Aka the Willie Brown Maneuver.

Possible but not probable.
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I'm challenged to think of a half dozen sane.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Why not both?

Hobbs sues Cochise. However, the case is tied up in court and she has no choice but to certify without them bc deadlines.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:12 am Why not both?

Hobbs sues Cochise. However, the case is tied up in court and she has no choice but to certify without them bc deadlines.
I think a Judge will rule in time for them to still refuse, go to prison and screw themselves. But whatever Judge gets it will try. Right now the County Commissioners can't find an Attorney after the local DA noped out of this nonsense. I think they have a hearing at noon.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Yes, we appear to be living through an era of "look at meeee!!" stupidity. It didn't matter much when it was Orly Taitz tilting at courtroom windmills with just us and a handful of birthers in the peanut gallery, or the massive demonstrations by tens of thousands of truck drivin' folk in lawn chairs circling their wagons around their resident pedophiles and abusers, but it gets significant when it evolves into sabotage of the mechanisms of democracy.

On the optimistic assumption that this era might pass, especially as the trash-the-joint nutters tend to be elderly and unhealthy, I wonder how it will be viewed from the future? Will it be seen as an oddity of no great significance, a transient spell of collective madness, a symptom of a societal malaise, a harbinger of whatever is to follow, what?

There will certainly be many sociological and political theses written in attempts to untangle "wtf were they all thinking then?"
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:50 am There will certainly be many sociological and political theses written in attempts to untangle "wtf were they all thinking then?"
I kinda wish I could freeze myself for a few centuries so I could read all the research on the 'transition age of social media'. I blame the human brain just not coping well with the internet and how information propagates now. We just are not wired for these scales.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Just to pitch in, I see a lot of assumptions that the judge(s) who hear any case against the Trumpist county commissioners would follow the law and rule against them, just because state law is unambiguous and requires them to act.

But this is the United States of America in the year 2022, and your chances of getting a Trumpist judge or two are not zero. They may not be atmospheric, but they are not zero.

Especially, I hate to say because it's a beautiful place, in the silly state of Arizona.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I was curious. Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochise_County,_Arizona):
Politics
Cochise County leans strongly towards the Republican Party in presidential elections.[22][23] Although Bill Clinton carried the county narrowly in 1992, it has supported the Republican nominee by large margins in every other election since 1968, except for 1996 and 1976 when Clinton and Jimmy Carter each lost only narrowly. Although the county includes the relatively liberal town of Bisbee, as well as the city of Douglas which has a large Latino population, this is outweighed by the heavily Republican tilt of the more populous Sierra Vista, which is adjacent to Fort Huachuca and thus has a heavy military presence.

In the United States House of Representatives, the county is part of Arizona's 2nd congressional district, which is represented by Democrat Ann Kirkpatrick; the majority of the district's population is in Tucson and its suburbs, which are far more liberal than Cochise County. In the Arizona Legislature, the county is part of the 14th district and is represented by Republican David Gowan in the State Senate and Republicans Gail Griffin and Becky Nutt in the State House of Representatives. This district also includes the entirety of Graham County and Greenlee County, as well as portions of Pima County.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Gregg wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:24 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:12 am Why not both?

I think a Judge will rule in time for them to still refuse, go to prison and screw themselves. But whatever Judge gets it will try. Right now the County Commissioners can't find an Attorney after the local DA noped out of this nonsense. I think they have a hearing at noon.
Public Officials with Publice Defenders :rotflmao:

(yeah - it's not a criminal case :( )
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:violin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

No lawyer? Not the court's problem.
https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/stat ... 9852390400
The AZ - abc15 - Data Guru @Garrett_Archer wrote: .@CochiseCountyAZ judge denies continuance. The board must proceed without an attorney present.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Well, shoot. Look at Katie Hobbs "threatening" folks with the consequences of their illegal actions. Two points!
https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/statu ... 0110148608
Charlie Kirk @charliekirk11 wrote: CONFIRMED: Katie Hobbs' office emailed Mohave County supervisors threatening them with up to two years in prison if they didn't certify their election results.
raison de arizona

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/stat ... 9581416448
The AZ - abc15 - Data Guru @Garrett_Archer wrote: BREAKING: Judge orders @CochiseCountyAZ Board of Supervisors to canvass the 2022 General Election.

Today.

Judge "You will meet today. You will canvass this election by 5 pm."

In his order. The judge explained that Arizona law is unambiguous. Questioning the tabulation machines is not a reason to delay canvass. The only lawful reason to delay is if some precinct results have not been received, which was not the case.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

He wanted removal to the Eastern District of Arizona.

There is no Eastern District.

#dumbass

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
raison de arizona

Oh lookee who scheduled an emergency canvass meeting for this afternoon...
somerset

Post by somerset »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:32 pm Oh lookee who scheduled an emergency canvass meeting for this afternoon...
Is anybody attending via Teams?
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

They voted 2-0 to certify the votes.

Tom Crosby was a no-show.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
raison de arizona

What a pansy.

I'd say hopefully the voters will remember this, but they probably will and reelect them BECAUSE of this.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”