US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

DmitriNotPetra

Re: US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy &

Post by DmitriNotPetra » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:18 pm

CJ Roberts wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:52 pm
Trump had grabbed all the p's, but their was some excess unused o's
*rimshot*

much ado

Re: US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy &

Post by much ado » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:19 pm

CJ Roberts wrote:
Trump had grabbed all the p's, but their was some excess unused o's
I thought it was the Russian hookers who took all the p's.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So truth isn’t truth but anonymous sources which Trump says should never be believed can nonetheless exonerate him. Ok.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:34 pm

I agree that Trump is a Queens thug. He does not have the accent, but everything else fits.

He is not very good at it.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:26 pm

You can agree or disagree with Marcy Wheeler's conclusions in any given essay she writes; but she always provides a full plate of food for thought, often compacted into just a few paragraphs. There is a lot of interesting stuff in this one.
:snippity: MANAFORT GOT VERY LITTLE (THAT WE CAN SEE) FROM HIS PLEA DEAL
NB from the bottom of Marcy's essay:
As I disclosed July, I provided information to the FBI on issues related to the Mueller investigation, so I’m going to include disclosure statements on Mueller investigation posts from here on out. I will include the disclosure whether or not the stuff I shared with the FBI pertains to the subject of the post.

https://www.emptywheel.net/2018/09/14/t ... lers-case/

The comments on Marcy's blog are well-worth reading as well as the essays themselves. I could never make a comment over there; I would be drawn, quartered, and then hung out to dry for all to ridicule. Fogbowzers, especially our IAALs, are much gentler, for which I am grateful. :bighug:

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:11 pm

My avatar gave up :P Singing like a bird. Gee, all these tough guys, Cohen said he'd take a bullet for Donald... could it be they didn't really mean it?

Avatar Photo: Cindy Hyde-Smith, Mississippi Senator & Candidate took the photo during a 2014 visit to the Jefferson Davis Home and Presidential Library. "Mississippi history at its best!" Hyde-Smith exclaimed.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 pm

CJ Roberts wrote:
Trump had grabbed all the p's, but there were some excess unused o's
:rotflmao:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:11 pm
My avatar gave up :P Singing like a bird. Gee, all these tough guys, Cohen said he'd take a bullet for Donald... could it be they didn't really mean it?
I think they are like domestic abuse victims and suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. Once separated and having no contact with the adored controller, the scales gradually fall from their eyes as they see him distance himself from them and their own legal situation becomes very clear. In Manafort's case, his wife was his partner in one of the foreign lobbying entities putting her at risk for federal charges.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

DmitriNotPetra

Post by DmitriNotPetra » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:17 pm

I'm going to take "Donald Trump Jr." as the next person to do the indictiment/cooperation routine. If it happens I expect full bragging rights, if it doesn't, I expect my prediction to be forgotten. Please make a note of it.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:06 am

Let the Sunday talk shows begin. Adam Schiff and Dershowitz coming up on Meet the Press.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:07 am

Kendra wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:06 am
Let the Sunday talk shows begin. Adam Schiff and Dershowitz coming up on Meet the Press.
Edit: Still quiet on the subject at Twitter. Very quiet.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 am

FTR, I put myself through the entire hour of Maria Bartilomo's (sp?) show on Fox to see what was said about Manafort's plea and cooperation. Crickets. None of the Repubs she interviewed could say his name either, just all those wicked peeps at the DOJ and Clinton campaign and their evil doing.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:01 am

The Daily Beast

Verified account

@thedailybeast
Follow Follow @thedailybeast
More
The U.S. assets of Oleg Deripaska, the Russian oligarch very closely linked to Manafort, have been frozen.
The New York City mansion of Oleg Deripaska—the Russian oligarch very closely linked to Paul Manafort—has been frozen alongside all of his U.S. assets, according to the New York Post. U.S. officials say Deripaska, who made his billions in aluminum, is close with Vladimir Putin and is allegedly involved in murder, money-laundering, bribery and racketeering. His assets include a mansion at 11 East 64th St. but he has reportedly arranged to have the children and ex-wife of business partner and fellow oligarch Roman Abramovich live there in his place. Deripaska bought the East Side property for $42.5 million in 2008, property records show.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Courthouse News

@CourthouseNews
Following Following @CourthouseNews
More
A federal judge has signed off on the forfeiture of Paul Manafort’s Trump Tower apartment and his home in the Hamptons, ordering the Justice Department to take control of them later this month. http://ow.ly/Lvy530mbox0 @BritainEakin

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:23 pm

:dance:

Judge orders Paul Manafort, convicted felon, to wear prison clothes to court
Trump’s former campaign chairman wanted to wear a professional suit to court but was denied by Judge T. S. Ellis
Matthew Rozsa
October 17, 2018 7:39pm (UTC)

President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, was told by a judge that he has to wear prison clothes to his sentencing hearing instead of the professional attire that the disgraced political adviser wanted.

"Defendant has moved to appear in a suit rather than prison attire," Judge T. S. Ellis wrote in a court order. "Defendants who are in custody post-conviction are, as a matter of course, not entitled to appear for sentencing or any other hearing in street clothing. This defendant should be treated no differently from other defendants who are in custody post-conviction."

In a footnote, Ellis explained that Manafort had been allowed to wear street clothing at his trial because the 1976 case Estelle v. Williams determined that a defendant "should not be compelled to go to trial in prison or jail clothing because of the possible impairment" of their right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. Ellis added that, because Manafort has subsequently been convicted of crimes including "subscribing to false federal income tax returns, failing to register foreign bank accounts, and bank fraud and also recently pled guilty to other criminal charges in the District of Columbia," the former campaign chairman "is no longer presumed innocent" and "therefore is not entitled to appear in street clothing at court proceedings."
https://www.salon.com/2018/10/17/judge- ... -to-court/

Avatar Photo: Cindy Hyde-Smith, Mississippi Senator & Candidate took the photo during a 2014 visit to the Jefferson Davis Home and Presidential Library. "Mississippi history at its best!" Hyde-Smith exclaimed.

much ado

Post by much ado » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm

I guess it sucks to be a convicted felon. :thumbs:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:42 pm

much ado wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm
I guess it sucks to be a convicted felon. :thumbs:
:violin:

Can't wait to see if he's still not getting Clairol for Men in prison. :swoon:

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”