The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

MN-Skeptic

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:59 pm
He's 81 and allegedly in poor health. Good chance he doesn't last out the 3 year minimum. I'm just fine with that.
:yeah:

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:21 pm

If the charges are valid, and at this point I see no reason to believe they are not, then he is a serial whatever of years standing and there is no such thing as "rehabilitation" for someone like that.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:38 pm

I think someone covering this today said he could be eligible for parole after two years. Even the three-year minimum isn't enough.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Next trump White House Communications Director?

The interesting part for Bart O'Kavanaugh is at 1:06. Victims, both of them. :violin:

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Three years for a serial offender assaulting multiple victims!! I imagine Terry Trussell is wondering where equity in sentencing has gone! In no way were Trussell's misdeeds as evil, not even one tenth as evil, as Cosby's.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 pm

The thing that made my day was the fact that Cosby was led straight to prison. That's exactly where he belongs and none of his millions could forestall it.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:39 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 pm
The thing that made my day was the fact that Cosby was led straight to prison. That's exactly where he belongs and none of his millions could forestall it.
It's a shame that Brett Kavanaugh wasn't handcuffed to Cosby for that trip to the big house where both of them belong..

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Keith Ellison's divorce file was unsealed and guess what:

1. His ex made no allegations of being abused during the marriage.
2. He did. He said he was attacked by his then-wife many times, causing him to give up on the marriage and file for divorce.

It was a right-wing paper that fought to have this unsealed. They didn't get what they were hoping for.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:49 am

Now accusations against Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:36 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:49 am
Now accusations against Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
in https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... misconduct
The religious news site patheos.com recently published accounts from two women who say Tyson behaved in a sexually inappropriate manner toward them.
and
TheGuardian wrote:[Tyson ]“In any claim, evidence matters. Evidence always matters. But what happens when it’s just one person’s word against another’s, and the stories don’t agree? That’s when people tend to pass judgment on who is more credible than whom. And that’s when an impartial investigation can best serve the truth – and would have my full cooperation to do so.

“I’ve recently been publically accused of sexual misconduct. These accusations have received a fair amount of press in the past 48 hours, unaccompanied by my reactions. In many cases, it’s not the media’s fault. I declined comment on the grounds that serious accusations should not be adjudicated in the press. But clearly I cannot continue to stay silent.”

The scientist then denied, in detail, an accusation that he groped a woman and denied that he made sexual advances toward a production assistant when he invited her to share wine and cheese at his home. He apologized for making the production assistant feel uncomfortable.

Under the title “Early 1980s”, he also discussed another claim, dating from a relationship in graduate school, which he said “was used as a kind of solicitation-bait by at least one journalist to bring out of the woodwork anybody who had any encounter with me that left them uncomfortable”.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Tyson on his Facebook account
On Being Accused
NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON·SATURDAY, 1 DECEMBER 2018

For a variety of reasons, most justified, some unjustified, men accused of sexual impropriety in today’s “me-too” climate are presumed to be guilty by the court of public opinion. Emotions bypass due-process, people choose sides, and the social media wars begin.

In any claim, evidence matters. Evidence always matters. But what happens when it’s just one person’s word against another’s, and the stories don’t agree? That’s when people tend to pass judgment on who is more credible than whom. And that’s when an impartial investigation can best serve the truth – and would have my full cooperation to do so.

I’ve recently been publically accused of sexual misconduct. These accusations have received a fair amount of press in the past forty-eight hours, unaccompanied by my reactions. In many cases, it’s not the media’s fault. I declined comment on the grounds that serious accusations should not be adjudicated in the press. But clearly I cannot continue to stay silent. So below I offer my account of each accusation.

https:// www.facebook.com/notes/neil-degrasse-ty ... 826326613/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:06 am

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... misconduct
Report: Les Moonves Destroyed Evidence, Lied to Obstruct Sexual Misconduct Investigation
According to a damning report prepared by outside lawyers, the ousted CBS chief also “received oral sex from at least 4 CBS employees under circumstances that sound transactional and improper.”

It looks like CBS might now have grounds to deny Les Moonves his $120 million severance package.

Ever since the former CBS chairman and C.E.O. resigned from his post in the wake of multiple sexual misconduct allegations, all eyes have been on the Eye and its board—which must now determine whether the former head will receive his severance. The network hired two law firms, Debevoise & Plimpton and Covington & Burling, to determine, in part, whether the company had grounds to terminate Moonves for cause—which would allow it to withhold that check. And according to their 59-page report, which was reviewed by The New York Times, Moonves deliberately misled investigators by lying and destroying evidence. The report states that the lawyers believe CBS now has grounds to have terminated Moonves for cause, meaning it could withhold his severance.

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:55 pm

A recent SciAm blog entry
Sexual Misconduct Allegations against Neil deGrasse Tyson Reveal the Complexity of Academic Inequality
Accusations that the astrophysicist harassed women remind us that racial and gender bias continue to harm science and scientists

By Chanda Prescod-Weinstein on December 7, 2018

In 2014, a woman named Tchiya Amet accused Neil deGrasse Tyson of raping her while they were both graduate students in astronomy at UT Austin, ultimately leading to her dropping out of the program. In the aftermath, I encouraged journalists at mainstream outlets to pursue it. But they told me that they ran into problems convincing their editors to allow them to publish what details they could find—for example, confirming that Amet was indeed enrolled in the program. The story was picked up by a blog on the religious commentary site Patheos in October of last year, and I reached out to journalists again, with a similar response.

I have, since I first learned about them, felt that Tchiya Amet’s allegations merited a response, and I waited, for years, for one. Another post from Patheos last week featured an interview with Amet along with stories of alleged sexual harassment from two other women, an astronomy professor and a Cosmos production assistant. (Buzzfeed also had a subsequent article citing a fourth woman with similar claims).

Tyson was finally prompted to respond this week with a Facebook note (which I assume, based on his celebrity and the nature of these accusations, was vetted by both a lawyer and a publicist). He admitted to engaging in behavior that he felt had been unintentionally misinterpreted—except the rape, claiming all sexual contact between him and Amet was consensual.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... nequality/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:45 am

Former CBS chairman Les Moonves fired for cause, will not receive severance in wake of sexual misconduct allegations
Former CBS chairman Les Moonves denied $120 million severance

By Elahe Izadi and
Travis M. Andrews December 17 at 7:02 PM

Les Moonves, the once-powerful head of CBS, will not receive any severance payment in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations, CBS’s board of directors announced Monday.

The network made the announcement after the completion of a company investigation that found Moonves guilty of “willful and material malfeasance” and a failure to comply with the investigation. He was set to receive as much as $120 million as part of his severance package, depending on the results of the inquiry.

Moonves resigned in September after several women accused him of sexual misconduct in a pair of scathing exposes in the New Yorker.

A lawyer for Moonves called the CBS board’s conclusions “without merit.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... legations/

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 am

A lawyer for Moonves called the CBS board’s conclusions “without merit.”
OMFG! :rotflmao:

"Without merit!" :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

... also without a hundred and twenty million dollars! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Impeach the mofo.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Stephen Brown

Verified account

@PPVSRB
7h7 hours ago
More
Second alleged victim of Jeffrey Epstein says the billionaire perv “directed” her to have sex with Alan Dershowitz, court papers reveal.
https://t.co/boPv5jYSlv

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:41 pm

I am not surprised. Dershowitz's cover for twitler lately has been horrifying. I had heard before that he might have been involved with that mess.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Kevin Spacey Charged With Felony Sexual Assault
The Cape and Islands, Massachusetts, district attorney announced Monday that Kevin Spacey will face a charge of felony sexual assault, authorities told The Hollywood Reporter.

A public show-cause hearing was held for the case on Dec. 20 where Clerk Magistrate Ryan Kearney issued a criminal complaint for the charge “against Kevin S. Fowler, also known as Kevin Spacey," THR confirmed.

The actor will be arraigned on a charge of indecent assault and battery at Nantucket District Court on Jan. 7, 2019.

The alleged assault on a male victim took place at a Nantucket bar in July 2016.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebr ... sjx948up9Q

Am I being detained?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019/01 ... 547125375/
. LA judge tosses actress Ashley Judd's lawsuit against Harvey Weinstein
Judge Philip Gutierrez ruled in a 13-page opinion that a new California state law that includes directors and producers specifically in assault claims cannot be applied in Judd's case.

Judd, one of the first actresses to speak publicly about Weinstein, sued him last year, saying he dissuaded filmmaker Peter Jackson from casting her in his Lord of the Rings trilogy. Jackson said he was "fed false information" about Judd by Weinstein after meeting her to discuss a role.

In September, the judge ruled Judd could not make her claim because she didn't have a professional relationship with Weinstein when she said the harassment occurred in the mid-1990s.

Last month, New York Supreme Court Judge James Burke declined to dismiss five criminal counts against Weinstein connected with two separate incidents, including rape and sexual assault.

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Looks like R. Kelly went SovCit in the midst of his ongoing sexual scandals. A gossip site called The Blast has a .pdf of a letter that Kelly allegedly sent to a lawyer representing one of Kelly's victims. A few familiar-sounding excerpts from the letter:
This is to enlighten you concerning the presumption of court appeuances that you may not be
aware of since attomoys are taught a coloring oflaw and not Canon or Common Law. Color-of-Law
is NOT law. It's fiction for cozporate fictions of which I am not.
:snippity:
The answer/response/reply to the subpoena is now rebutted via my notarized, sixteen-word
statement of across the face of the summons refusing the invitation, which states: I DO NOT
ACCEPT THIS OFFER TO CONTRACT AND I DO NOT CONSENT TO THESE PROCEEDINGS and filed with
the State's Attorney and the Clerk of the Court placing it on the Public Record.
:snippity:
I, Robert Sylvester Kelly, an Illinoian of Chicago, Illinois State make oath and say/hereby affirm
that;
(I) I DO NOT ACCEPT THIS OFFER TO CONTRACT' AND I DO NOT CONSENT TO THESE
PROCEEDINGS.
(2) I am exempt and not subject to this court so I don't know why you are even addressing me or why
you continue to address me when I do not accept this offer to contract and I do not consent to these
proceedings.
(3) I am a flesh and blood, living, breathing American National and native of Illinois.
(4) Private .Agreement is mutually agreed upon and entered into on the Fourteenth Day of the Ninth
Month in the Year of Our Source Two Thousand Seventeen between the juristic person, ROBERT
SYLVESTER KELLY©, also known by any and all derivatives and variations in the spelling of said
name except "Robert Sylvester Kelly," hereafter jointly and severally "Debtor," and the living,
breathing, flesh-and-blood man, known by the distinctive appellation Robert Sylvester Kelly©,
hereinafter "Creditor."
He also threatens to drag the victim's reputation through the mud if she persists in her suit against him.

Return to “Current Events”