New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Uninformed

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by Uninformed »

Attorney: You are Donald John Trump?
Deponent : No, my name is John Barron
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Days like this I almost miss Trump twitter tantrums. Today would be a wild one. Bets Junior shows up on Hannity tonight crying a river?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Judge Refuses to Quash Subpoenas and Depositions for Donald Trump and His Children: It Would Be a ‘Blatant Dereliction of Duty’ Not to Investigate

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/ju ... vestigate/
A Manhattan judge refused to quash civil subpoenas and depositions for former President Donald Trump and his children in a blistering ruling on Thursday, writing that it would have been “blatant dereliction of duty” not to investigate them.

“For OAG not to have investigated the original respondents, and not to have subpoenaed the new Trump respondents, would have been a blatant dereliction of duty (and would have broken an oft repeated campaign promise). Indeed, the impetus for the investigation was not personal animus, not racial or ethnic or other discrimination, not campaign promises, but was sworn congressional testimony by former Trump associate Michael Cohen that respondents were ‘cooking the books,'” Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron wrote in a 8-page ruling.

Trump and his children Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump Jr. have 21 days from the date of his order to sit for a deposition, Engoron ruled.

:snippity:

Habba remarked that the latter run did not “work out well for [James].”

Rejecting such claims, Engoron wrote: “Here, the new Trump respondents have failed to submit any evidence that the law was not applied to others similarly situated, nor have they submitted any evidence of discrimination based on race, religion, or any other impermissible or arbitrary classification.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

bob

Post by bob »

Per the Twitter legal (b)eagles, the judge's order is appealable, as in, it can be immediately appealed.

But there's no automatic stay, so the appeal will (too) also separately have to ask to stay the judge's order. Which the learned folks say the appellate court is unlikely to grant.
Image ImageImage
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bob wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:56 pm Per the Twitter legal (b)eagles, the judge's order is appealable, as in, it can be immediately appealed.

But there's no automatic stay, so the appeal will (too) also separately have to ask to stay the judge's order. Which the learned folks say the appellate court is unlikely to grant.
:lovestruck: I love having actual lawyers on this forum who can explain these things.
bob

Post by bob »

As always, those being deposed can assert the Fifth. Meaning adverse inferences may be drawn for any civil proceeding, but may not be drawn for any criminal proceeding.

So the smart money would be to take the Fifth, accept the consequences in the civil proceedings, and then delay delay delay the imposition of those consequences.

But these folks aren't smart, so :confuzzled: .
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

bob wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:56 pm Per the Twitter legal (b)eagles, the judge's order is appealable, as in, it can be immediately appealed.
But why? Unless I missed something, there is no privilege at stake. Trump's lawyers didn't even argue privilege. They just argued that Trump is above the law and that James is corrupt.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I know Trump’s lawyers will want him to take the 5th, but Trump has always felt that he’s smarter than any other person in the room, so I’m not so sure he won’t talk and talk, explaining why everything he did was perfect.
bob

Post by bob »

SuzieC wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:11 pm
But why? Unless I missed something, there is no privilege at stake. Trump's lawyers didn't even argue privilege. They just argued that Trump is above the law and that James is corrupt.
Those more knowledgeable than I say, in New York, (just about) everything is appealable.

Is that a good legal system? It would appear that New York lawmakers believe so.

But a mere appeal won't stop anything, unless a judge grants a stay.

And I presume there's some sort of state law or rule about bad-faith or frivolous appeals.
Image ImageImage
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:25 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:24 pm I'm putting the over/under at 10 for number of times he perjures himself during the depostion.
You have a much higher opinion of tfg than I. :liar:
:mrgreen:
Official betting line over/unders

Plead the 5th 250 times, incriminate himself anyhow 50 times and commit perjury 10 times.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
filly

Post by filly »

bob wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:06 pm As always, those being deposed can assert the Fifth. Meaning adverse inferences may be drawn for any civil proceeding, but may not be drawn for any criminal proceeding.

So the smart money would be to take the Fifth, accept the consequences in the civil proceedings, and then delay delay delay the imposition of those consequences.

But these folks aren't smart, so :confuzzled: .
Sorry on my phone so short: the AG can have the fraudulent entity dissolved, she did it once. So this is a BF problemo for the crime family.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Cool, thanks! FYI, the talking tv heads opined this afternoon that this appeal could drag out for months; no mention of automatic stays or the need to thus file to stay the order.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the great coverage!!

Will the depositions be private or public? If private, would it be usual for them to be released?

Dang, missed the circus hearings. Has anybody found a recording of today's hearing? (Saw it says no recording but that hasn't stopped most everything from being posted). Please dm me if not comfortable posting.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

orlylicious wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:07 pm Thanks for the great coverage!!

Will the depositions be private or public? If private, would it be usual for them to be released?

Dang, missed the circus hearings. Has anybody found a recording of today's hearing? (Saw it says no recording but that hasn't stopped most everything from being posted). Please dm me if not comfortable posting.
Usual practice would be for the depos to be videotaped. The AG will probably find a good reason to file them in court.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:45 pm Days like this I almost miss Trump twitter tantrums. Today would be a wild one. Bets Junior shows up on Hannity tonight crying a river?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:violin: :violin: :violin:
filly

Post by filly »

They should put all their NY properties up for sale and see what happens!
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I have been bouncing this around with someone else.
Trump absolutely, positively must settle this case at all costs. This case, more than anything else in any forum right now is the case that can bring him down. From a civil point of view, she can shut his shop up for good, and force a liquidation that would certainly leave him penniless. No way in hell does he cover the debt on what he has if he has to sell under duress. Besides, that, if he goes to trial, win or lose, everything the NYAG has will be entered into the record for every prosecutor and class action lawyer in America to dig through like a pile of asbestos ridden hernia patches with Roundup Weed killer and some tax evasion, bank fraud and who knows what else. As if the legal fees he is paying now won't bankrupt him eventually, they're an appetizer to what he could be paying in a year or two.
How much has he spent to keep his tax returns private? The day this goes to trial I'll be able to search and indexed version of them online, and more.

Nope, Tish has him by the balls, its just not obvious yet that she has him with a set of vice grips.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Today likely would have been one of the best Trumper tantrums ever!
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Gregg, another awesome post. :lol:

HRC says Fox News is getting close to "actual malice", which of course means Tom Fitton says she's "threatening" them. Should we send him some GIL grand slam jury videos?

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

filly and p0rtia! thank you

:notworthy:
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

If you have a bunch of skeletons in the closet and then choose to run for public office, don't get all sad when folks suddenly go after those skeletons. Is it because they are running for, are currently, or were president? Maybe, but too bad so sad. You chose to enter politics while having a bunch of skeletons.

It might not seem fair but, that's politics. If you want to glory, deal with it. Is it fair you got away with it before you were in office?
101010 :towel:

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”