Clerk to Habba:

"Counselor, when the judge speaks, you need to stop speaking."
"9-1-1, what's your emergency?"

"I'd like to report a murder..."
sad-cafe

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by sad-cafe »

northland10 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:46 pm
filly wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:44 pm I won the Betty Crocker award in high school and was class President.
But have you stayed in a Holiday Inn?
I have

and I watch Sling TV as well (not really)
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Why do I picture trumps lawyer screaming " You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!"
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:31 pmThe google shows that she is a frequent guest talking head on NewsMax.
Her big "break" was being hired to sue NYT, Mary, etc. Was she on NewsMax before then?

But even if she started appearing on NewsMax only after was hired to sue the NYT, it would appear she honed her rhetorical style there.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:59 pm Why do I picture trumps lawyer screaming " You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!"
That's pretty much what Alina Habba's MO was. She made several "How can you do this!" barks at the judge. Her messagge was "This whole case is unconstitutional." The judge repeatedly asked her to explain why, but her answers fizzled.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Throw the books at him: Trump’s business fortune begins to unravel

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny- ... story.html
We know all this because state Attorney General Tish James, in gamely pursuing a civil case against The Trump Organization and trying to convince the judge to order the testimony of Donald, Don Jr. and Ivanka, submitted Mazars’ Feb. 9 kiss-off letter to Trump to the court docket — and public view.

It would be really nice if the public also got to see the suspect records that Mazars has repudiated, particularly Trump’s secret tax returns. James must have them, as does Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, since Trump lost his effort before the U.S. Supreme Court to withhold the files. The financial documents could be evidence, which would all come out in a future legal action. Longtime Trump financial shenanigans chronicler David Cay Johnston predicts that Bragg’s grand jury is eventually going to indict Trump for racketeering. Sounds like a good fit.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
much ado

Post by much ado »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:32 pm Throw the books at him: Trump’s business fortune begins to unravel

We know all this because state Attorney General Tish James, in gamely pursuing a civil case against The Trump Organization and trying to convince the judge to order the testimony of Donald, Don Jr. and Ivanka, submitted Mazars’ Feb. 9 kiss-off letter to Trump to the court docket — and public view.

It would be really nice if the public also got to see the suspect records that Mazars has repudiated, particularly Trump’s secret tax returns. James must have them, as does Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, since Trump lost his effort before the U.S. Supreme Court to withhold the files. The financial documents could be evidence, which would all come out in a future legal action. Longtime Trump financial shenanigans chronicler David Cay Johnston predicts that Bragg’s grand jury is eventually going to indict Trump for racketeering. Sounds like a good fit.
I don't remember anything about Mazars repudiating any of the Trump Organization's tax returns. Did I miss something?

That would be quite serious, I think.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

much ado wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:53 pm
Volkonski wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:32 pm Throw the books at him: Trump’s business fortune begins to unravel

I don't remember anything about Mazars repudiating any of the Trump Organization's tax returns. Did I miss something?

That would be quite serious, I think.
https://context-cdn.washingtonpost.com/ ... 82.#page=2
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
much ado

Post by much ado »

Thanks raison!

The letter does not actually repudiate prior year tax returns, but it does cast a pall on their accuracy. Hmmmm.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

The SOL for bank fraud in NY is 10 years.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

filly wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:43 am
p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:34 am
p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:28 am Password not working on the link for me. :shrug:
Got in on a different link:

http://wowza.nycourts.gov/VirtualCourt/ ... t-nysupcv1

Password works (7349)
Glad you got there. I am in on the link. It's all good.
Yes it is. And thanks for posting about the live hearing. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I adore this stuff (and this one was, I thought, a doozy) and like to catch them when possible.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

20 minutes to go? :waiting:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:37 pm
filly wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:43 am
p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:34 am

Got in on a different link:

http://wowza.nycourts.gov/VirtualCourt/ ... t-nysupcv1

Password works (7349)
Glad you got there. I am in on the link. It's all good.
Yes it is. And thanks for posting about the live hearing. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I adore this stuff (and this one was, I thought, a doozy) and like to catch them when possible.
Bravo and thank you to wonderful p0tia and filly. :clap: :dance:

I have reflected briefly on what was mentioned, I and am thinking of what is really being asked (IANAL). They are arguing that Trump is in the protected class called "won't shut the fuck up" so they are trying to use that to keep him away from any direct questioning. They are afraid that if he sits for a depo, instead of running to the 5th as the judge suggested, he will end up incriminating himself all over the floor.

They want the court to protect Trump from Trump.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

northland10 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:50 pm I have reflected briefly on what was mentioned, I and am thinking of what is really being asked (IANAL). They are arguing that Trump is in the protected class called "won't shut the fuck up" so they are trying to use that to keep him away from any direct questioning. They are afraid that if he sits for a depo, instead of running to the 5th as the judge suggested, he will end up incriminating himself all over the floor.

He's welcome to take the 5th 500 times like Eric did.

Or he can blab.

Whatever.

He's a grown up, his gun, his foot, his mouth.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

After the hearing,
@MichaelCohen212
called me to respond to this:

"Habba's mischaracterization of me as 'discredited' reeks of desperation. Trump's financial impropriety may be an allegation but very soon will be a reality. Numbers don't lie. People do."
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

BREAKING:

A Manhattan judge DENIES a motion to quash subpoenas and depositions against Donald Trump and his children.
Shouldn't be a surprise, but these are strange times.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

BREAKING:

A Manhattan judge DENIES a motion to quash subpoenas and depositions against Donald Trump and his children.

Story soon,
@LawCrimeNews

ICYMI, from this morning's hearing: https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/do ... ostpopular
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Jinx ;)
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

northland10 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:50 pm
I have reflected briefly on what was mentioned, I and am thinking of what is really being asked (IANAL). They are arguing that Trump is in the protected class called "won't shut the fuck up" so they are trying to use that to keep him away from any direct questioning. They are afraid that if he sits for a depo, instead of running to the 5th as the judge suggested, he will end up incriminating himself all over the floor.

I didn't catch that, but in a sense they were arguing something similar to that: that he would have to talk because there would be horror on the part of the press if he took the fifth, so he couldn't --which was a violation of his 1A rights. Too also, James is a meany. And actually all we really want to do is to bluster and delay. (IANALE)
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I'm putting the over/under at 10 for number of times he perjures himself during the depostion.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Uhoh... That feeling's coming over me again...

Heh. Heh. Heh. Heh.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:08 pm
BREAKING:

Story soon,
@LawCrimeNews

ICYMI, from this morning's hearing: https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/do ... ostpopular
Cool, and not surprising, having watched the hearing. Of note is the fact that the judge has basically adopted the AG's suggested schedule for depositions.
raison de arizona

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:24 pm I'm putting the over/under at 10 for number of times he perjures himself during the depostion.
You have a much higher opinion of tfg than I. :liar:
:mrgreen:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

During the hearing this morning they were talking about needing time to file an appeal, so I imagine that will be the next step for Trump’s lawyers.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”