Paris Olympics - July 26th to August 11th (did I mention it's in Paris?)

SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:15 am Try to catch the final dive of the Chinese synchronized platform diving.

Unbelievable!
Saw it! They were perfection. Beautiful!!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Older daughter sent us a photo of them at an outdoor bistro eating delicious food.

Such a cliche. :lol:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:54 am Older daughter sent us a photo of them at an outdoor bistro eating delicious food.

:biggrin:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

We can't ignore our own Clark Kent - gymnast Stephen Nedoroscik of pommel horse fame.

He's an electrical engineer, Penn State grad, and spends his time waiting for his event by solving Rubik's cubes in under 10 seconds. He's owning the internet today.

I feel a kinship with him in the glasses department. I don't know if he's near or far sighted. I'm extremely nearsighted and wear coke bottle bottom lenses in my glasses (gave up contacts years ago after wearing them for 40+years --- my eyes were getting too dry for my hard lenses and soft lenses can't correct enough for my vision and astigmatism). Way tmi, but I get why he takes off his glasses.

Beyond them getting in the way, he doesn't really need them for the horse. For a while, he wore sports goggles - but they were clear and not corrective (his team razzed him about them, but also seized on "Fear the Specs" when cheering him on). He forgot them one time and won the world championship, so he figured they weren't the good luck charm he needed.

ANYway, he doesn't need them for the pommel horse and perhaps he likes not seeing the crowd clearly. I certainly am glad at times that I can't see anything without my glasses. Like when getting a colonscopy - not bothered at all at not being able to see all the stuff in the procedure room. At night...I don't need to see anything in the dark and it removes anything that might catch my attention and distract.

Four Eyes Folks - unite!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:55 pm ANYway, he doesn't need them for the pommel horse and perhaps he likes not seeing the crowd clearly. I certainly am glad at times that I can't see anything without my glasses. Like when getting a colonscopy - not bothered at all at not being able to see all the stuff in the procedure room. At night...I don't need to see anything in the dark and it removes anything that might catch my attention and distract.

Four Eyes Folks - unite!
Best part of being terribly nearsighted... looking at Christmas trees without your glasses!
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

US Women's Gymnastics team wins gold!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Great competition. So many gymnastics superstars on view today. Bravo to all of them!

On the other hand, if I could figure out who's paying for that ghastly breakdancing ad that plays every time you touch your remote in the Olympics menus on Peacock, I would make it my life's work to NEVER BUY WHATEVER the hell they're selling. (Of course it's probably an ad for Peacock.)
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Daniel Whiffen is first Irishman to win a swimming Olympic gold medal in the 800 freestyle.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:25 pm Daniel Whiffen is first Irishman to win a swimming Olympic gold medal in the 800 freestyle.
I mean, I'm an American and I support all our athletes, but I'm always so happy when some random country wins a big event! It's sort of like living here in Alabama where I'm not particularly a college football fan and feeling a lil smug when Univ of Alabama loses a football game. So many of their fans feel entitled to win they're not gracious losers. Not rooting for anyone to lose, but I love an underdog story.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:55 pm
Rolodex wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:55 pm ANYway, he doesn't need them for the pommel horse and perhaps he likes not seeing the crowd clearly. I certainly am glad at times that I can't see anything without my glasses. Like when getting a colonscopy - not bothered at all at not being able to see all the stuff in the procedure room. At night...I don't need to see anything in the dark and it removes anything that might catch my attention and distract.

Four Eyes Folks - unite!
Best part of being terribly nearsighted... looking at Christmas trees without your glasses!
Yes!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:18 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:55 pm Best part of being terribly nearsighted... looking at Christmas trees without your glasses!
Yes!
Lol

People who are not nearsighted don't know what they are missing.

Unfortunately the explosion of light from streetlights does the same thing... So don't drive without your specs. :popcorn:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:50 pm US Women's Gymnastics team wins gold!
is there a youtube for this? I wanted to watch it
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

sad-cafe wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:41 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:50 pm US Women's Gymnastics team wins gold!
is there a youtube for this? I wanted to watch it
NBC/USA WILL BE REBROADCASTING AT 8PM EASTERN
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

thank you
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:38 pm
Rolodex wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:18 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:55 pm Best part of being terribly nearsighted... looking at Christmas trees without your glasses!
Yes!
Lol

People who are not nearsighted don't know what they are missing.

Unfortunately the explosion of light from streetlights does the same thing... So don't drive without your specs. :popcorn:
Oh honey I'm so nearsighted I couldn't even find my car without my glasses, much less drive! The good thing is that my very near vision is excellent. Without glasses, I'm a great splinter finder and remover. I just have to have my eyes about 3" from your finger.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Off Topic
Rolodex wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:48 pm Oh honey I'm so nearsighted I couldn't even find my car without my glasses, much less drive! The good thing is that my very near vision is excellent. Without glasses, I'm a great splinter finder and remover. I just have to have my eyes about 3" from your finger.
:yeahthat:

Did you ever notice that the signature line on a check is not solid? It’s teeny, tiny text.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:54 am Older daughter sent us a photo of them at an outdoor bistro eating delicious food.

If Chicago had managed to host, she could have sent a photo of them eating at Ricobene's or leaning over an outdoor table with a heavily (or heavenly) dripping Italian beef.

That is our cliche. Not quite as dignified as the Parisians.
101010 :towel:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:53 pm
Off Topic
Rolodex wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:48 pm Oh honey I'm so nearsighted I couldn't even find my car without my glasses, much less drive! The good thing is that my very near vision is excellent. Without glasses, I'm a great splinter finder and remover. I just have to have my eyes about 3" from your finger.
:yeahthat:

Did you ever notice that the signature line on a check is not solid? It’s teeny, tiny text.
Actually, yes. It's a security feature. I worked in banking so maybe that's cheating.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

OT - I haven't had a cheque book in 20 odd years
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:55 pm

If Chicago had managed to host, she could have sent a photo of them eating at Ricobene's or leaning over an outdoor table with a heavily (or heavenly) dripping Italian beef.

That is our cliche. Not quite as dignified as the Parisians.
Carm's

(or the Fontana Sub across the street)
Ya gotta know where to go.

(Not knocking Ricobenes... Their pizza slices are awsome)
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I thought this was very interesting. A gift link -

The Olympic Flame Isn’t a Flame at All
The Olympic flame isn’t a flame.

Well, it’s sort of a flame. But it’s not made of fire. Even if it looks a lot like fire.

Wait. Let me backtrack. Every Olympic host city has a few basic tasks that force it to straddle the line between acknowledging the tradition of the Games while showing that it is keeping up with the times. Essentially, each new host needs to play the hits but still surprise and delight the listeners. That’s how you end up, for example, with an opening ceremony featuring a nearly nude man on a bridge, covered in blue paint and glitter.

And that’s how you get an Olympic flame that’s not a flame at all. A flame that is actually “a cloud of mist and beams of light,” according to Paris 2024 organizers. That flame (or is it “flame”?) rests in an enormous cauldron, comprises 40 LED spotlights and 200 misting nozzles and is tethered to what looks like a gigantic hot-air balloon that will rise into the air every night of the Games.
More at the link above.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Snoop Dogg made his own collectable Paris Olympics pins.

https://www.nbcnews.com/sports/olympics ... rcna164384
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, I have got it ALL on YouTubeTV. My library runneth over. Table tennis, rowing, women's beach volleyball, shooting, basketball, women's volleyball, women's beach volleyball ... well, ahem, I like women athletes. And I will be able to watch any Olympic event, starting with the round of 32 in Men's and Women's Table Tennis. Water polo is cool. My dad was a champ with the epeé, as you know. Oh man, oh man, oh man. Where oh where do I begin? :confuzzled: :shrug:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:35 am Oh man, I have got it ALL on YouTubeTV.
No, I don't. Events are mislabeled. Events are truncated, nothing but adverts. Events keep jumpstarting back to the beginning after 5 minutes. This is a mess. Better give it a little time. :roll:
Whatever4
Verified:

Post by Whatever4 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:55 pm

Four Eyes Folks - unite!
He’s farsighted with strabismus. Dr. Glaucomflecken lays it out here:
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”