Daunte Wright, killing by Kimberly Potter

humblescribe
Verified:

Re: Daunte Wright, killing by Kimberly Potter

Post by humblescribe »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:06 pm 16 months and a $1k fine. Link incoming.
Kim Potter, the former Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, police officer convicted in the death of Daunte Wright, has been sentenced to two years in the fatal shooting.

According to Minnesota law, Potter is required to serve two-thirds of her sentence in prison. With good behavior, she will be eligible for supervised release for the other third.
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/kim-po ... index.html
AJ+ @ajplus wrote: Kim Potter's 2-year sentence for killing #DaunteWright is 5+ years below 1st-degree manslaughter state guidelines.

The judge justified it by claiming the killing was "significantly less serious" than typical manslaughter and Potter "does not present a danger of future crimes."
OK, so now there are degrees of manslaughter? A person was needlessly killed by a person who knew better. This sort of judicial discretion makes me :sick:

This a small price to pay for anyone, especially a police officer, for a serious lapse of judgment or a spontaneous impolitic reaction to a non-threat.

Rant to follow:

As a plebeian member of society who has a civic duty to be a juror in criminal trials if selected, this sentence galls me. It is an insult to the twelve citizens who allegedly poured their hearts, souls, and brains into arriving at their verdict. To my way of thinking, it would have been much easier to punt on the charge, return a not guilty verdict and gone home after 30 minutes instead of taking their job seriously.

I have heard time and again from judges and lawyers how they respect and appreciate the hard work put in by the members of the jury in their deliberations to get the verdicts right. They are effusive in their praise that the system would not work without the tireless and selfless efforts of us ordinary citizens.

I think they are urinating on our legs and telling us it's raining. I do not believe them at all. We citizens only provide those people with a means to justify their livelihoods. It is just theater for the unwashed masses.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
filly

Post by filly »

I am also disgusted, not only by the sentence but by the judge's remarks and emotion. Where were the tears for Daunte Wright? Where were the tears for Daunte's young baby, his parents? Just nauseating.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

filly wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:13 pm I am also disgusted, not only by the sentence but by the judge's remarks and emotion. Where were the tears for Daunte Wright? Where were the tears for Daunte's young baby, his parents? Just nauseating.
Exactly. I guess Duante Wright is seriously less dead.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bob

Post by bob »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:08 pmOK, so now there are degrees of manslaughter?
In some states.

In Minnesota, first degree manslaughter is, generally speaking, classic manslaughter: intent to kill but no malice aforethought, aka, heat-of-passion killing. Second degree is, again generally speaking, a reckless or negligent killing (without an intent to kill).
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Judge Chu is not popular, but she had tears for Potter.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Protesters have shut down the street in front of the home of Judge Regina Chu, who cried as she handed Kim Potter a 2 year sentence for killing of Daunte Wright
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”