Hijack This Thread

sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Reddog wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:08 pm The main reason for my hijack is about Chief Hayes. I didn’t care for him then or later. An excerpt from the local paper website; https://www.newspressnow.com/news/forme ... c9e1c.html
In 1998, Mr. Hayes was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and armed criminal action in the shooting death a year earlier of Tony Coone, a neighbor. Mr. Hayes characterized the shooting as self-defense, claiming Mr. Coone had attacked him with a hammer.
Again sorry for the hijack, but this is the right topic for it.
The episode on Hayes was on Fear Thy Neighbor just the other day on the ID channel.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14785178/?ref_=ttep_ep8
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Again sorry for the hijack ...
This is the Hijack thread. You're supposed to hijack whatever the current discussion is. Good job. :thumbsup:
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

back when I was a (relative) yoot, I consulted briefly on millimeter-wave vision systems.. the company I worked with was figuring pest-control companies would be their first market. But then they drifted into airport TSA scanners, surveillance, etc etc.. I was long gone by then..

Pretty fascinating technology, but foil-faced insulation or foil-based wallpaper should give it a hard time.
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

https://x.com/cnnbrk/status/1803136241518416078
CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk

Massachusetts' 911 system is down statewide. Boston Fire Department advises residents to pull the nearest fire box in an emergency.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/18/us/massa ... index.html
:eek: I can't even imagine! Your spouse is having a heart attack and you're fumbling, in a panic, to contact emergency services. :eek:
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

tek wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:44 am back when I was a (relative) yoot, I consulted briefly on millimeter-wave vision systems.. the company I worked with was figuring pest-control companies would be their first market. But then they drifted into airport TSA scanners, surveillance, etc etc.. I was long gone by then..

Pretty fascinating technology, but foil-faced insulation or foil-based wallpaper should give it a hard time.
My mother's best friend when we were growing up was schizophrenic. She lived across the street from us so we were constantly in and out of their house. One time, she decided to wallpaper her kitchen with aluminum foil to coordinate with the rainbow print metallic contact paper she had on her washer and dryer. Summer in the South.....you felt like a baked potato when you were in there.
chancery
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by chancery »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:59 pm https://x.com/cnnbrk/status/1803136241518416078
CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk

Massachusetts' 911 system is down statewide. Boston Fire Department advises residents to pull the nearest fire box in an emergency.

:eek: I can't even imagine! Your spouse is having a heart attack and you're fumbling, in a panic, to contact emergency services. :eek:
Our small town in Eastern Massachusetts immediately sent out texts and automated phone messages with local emergency numbers. Not ideal, of course, but a good response.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

chancery wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:06 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:59 pm https://x.com/cnnbrk/status/1803136241518416078
CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk

Our small town in Eastern Massachusetts immediately sent out texts and automated phone messages with local emergency numbers. Not ideal, of course, but a good response.
Exactly. The nearest fire box to me is at least 10 miles away. I’d need an actual phone number.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kendra »

Throw the book at him.

https://www.komonews.com/news/local/bel ... -fireworks#

:snippity:
On March 20, Seattle police pulled Hudson over after seeing him speeding on Yesler Way in downtown Seattle.

"I ended up having a prolonged conversation with him that I captured on my bodyworn video," the officer wrote. "I asked Hudson why he didn’t just go to a racetrack to utilize his vehicle there. He stated that he had “almost 700,000 followers” on his social media, and that the amount of money he makes on filming his videos of him in his vehicle on the street has paid for the car."
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

In Australia, his car would be forfeited and SQUASHED.

A brutal message from Victoria Police: We will crush your car
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

WIN

"The boss" has been waking us up at first glimmer of dawn to be fed for ever. About a year ago she discovered that sitting on the floor and clawing at the sheets hanging over the edge makes enough racket to eventaully make us move but doesn't really hurt the sheets so we don't get made at her like we do when she plays football with SWMBO's earring tree. But its still annoying. So the other day I just grabbed my pillow and swung it across the bed in her direction. Didn't touch her, but she hasn't clawed at the sheets since. She has now gone back to gently touching the top of SWMBO's head. Ahhh, bliss.

LOSS

Last night I kept waking up to fart or something and there was a gawdauful earworm playing ing my head - seemed like it took forever to get back to sleep.

But then all of a sudden it stopped - cool - not cool. The orginal, which I can't even remember, was replaced with "One From The Hearf" the Star Trek Enterprise theme. It worser than the original.And its still there.AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

My cat has gotten senile. Like sitting there staring at the wall and screameowing for what seems like hours. Or wakes up and doesn't seem to know where he is. But the absolute BIGGEST change in him is the fact that, at almost 19 years old (he was born just a few days after Katrina) he has finally decided that maybe my husband, who I've had longer than twice that, is probably not going to try to kill him every time he sees him. At least that's the only thing we've been able to figure that might explain why, for literally Boo's (my sweet Boo Baby kitty as he's known around here) whole damn life, he wouldn't so much as let him touch him without throwing a fit and showing teeth. I'm the one and only human who he even tolerates living on HIS planet. Now, he'll let anyone touch him, any time, whether he's ever even seen you or not. My kids call him the devil kitty.

I'm pretty sure this brain puking about a demented cat and his antics is my brain trying to prepare me for the day he's not here, and it's trying to inure me to it. It's not fucking fair, either. He's a gorgeous solid shiny black, like a crow's feathers, with one white whisker, and weighed close to 20 pounds most of his life. And he loves me. Even when he's not sure where he is he still knows he loves me, and that I love him. And it's not fucking fair at all.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

Cat person here.

Oh, yeah. :-(

:bighug:
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I think this is worth sharing, I'm just not sure which thread to put it in so I'm sticking it here -

ADL faces Wikipedia ban over reliability concerns on Israel, antisemitism
Wikipedia’s editors have voted to declare the Anti-Defamation League “generally unreliable” on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, adding it to a list of banned and partially banned sources.

An overwhelming majority of editors involved in the debate about the ADL also voted to deem the organization unreliable on the topic of antisemitism, its core focus. A formal declaration on that count is expected next.

The decision about Israel-related citations, made last week, means that one of the most prominent and longstanding Jewish advocacy groups in the United States — and one historically seen as the leading U.S. authority on antisemitism — is now grouped together with the National Inquirer, Newsmax, and Occupy Democrats as a source of propaganda or misinformation in the eyes of the online encyclopedia.

Moreover, in a near consensus, dozens of Wikipedia editors involved in the discussion said they believe the ADL should not be cited for factual information on antisemitism as well because it acts primarily as a pro-Israel organization and tends to label legitimate criticism of Israel as antisemitism.

“ADL no longer appears to adhere to a serious, mainstream and intellectually cogent definition of antisemitism, but has instead given into the shameless politicization of the very subject that it was originally esteemed for being reliable on,” wrote an editor known as Iskandar323, whose request for a discussion about the ADL ultimately led to the ban.

In a written statement, the ADL said the decision by Wikipedia was the result of a ”campaign to delegitimize the ADL” and that editors opposing the ban “provided point by point refutations, grounded in factual citations, to every claim made, but apparently facts no longer matter.”
More at the link above.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

If the shoe fits. Greenblatt has said some pretty horrible stuff, he's earned it for them.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

On the Hellcat:
According to court documents, Hudson and his mother purchased the Charger, and his mother is listed as the registered owner, while Hudson is listed as an additional registered owner.
I'm shocked.
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

IFF we are in a new modern day Jurassic period, your DNA will survive
In homage to Jurassic Park, researchers store DNA in amber-like polymer
8 comment bubble on white
Could be used to solve long term digital data storage problems too
iconDan Robinson
Mon 17 Jun 2024 // 17:01 UTC
Boffins at MIT have come up with an amber-like polymer that can be used to preserve DNA, which could allow it to be used for long term storage of information, such as genomes or digital data.

The researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology say they were inspired by the movie Jurassic Park, in which DNA is extracted from creatures preserved in amber and used to create a population of long-extinct dinosaurs.

However, they were looking for something a bit more convenient than amber. The polymer they came up with can be used to store DNA sequences encoding data such as the theme music from Jurassic Park, as well as an entire human genome, they claim, while the DNA can easily be removed from the polymer without damaging it.

But as with other DNA storage methods, actually storing the data takes several hours and retrieving it is also slow and cumbersome.

DNA has been explored as a way of storing information for some time, as it potentially offers high storage density; in theory, a coffee mug full of DNA could store all of the world’s data, MIT claims. And depending how it is stored, it could have much greater longevity than many of today's archive technologies.

Current methods for storing DNA typically require freezing, so are impractical because of the energy required, while MIT’s newly developed polymer can store DNA at room temperature while also protecting it from damage caused by heat or water, according to a report in MIT News.

"Freezing DNA is the number one way to preserve it, but it’s very expensive, and it's not scalable," James Banal, a former MIT postdoc and one of the researchers involved, is quoted as saying. "I think our new preservation method is going to be a technology that may drive the future of storing digital information on DNA."

A research paper was published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.

https://www.theregister.com/2024/06/17/ ... er_storage
scientific link Reversible Nucleic Acid Storage in Deconstructable Glassy Polymer Networks
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

reusing such technology, researchers are looking into encoding binary data into DNA using the A/G/C/T components, then archive them as above.
above article wrote:Previous efforts at making DNA storage from the Microsoft Research team and the University of Washington saw boffins storing a 200 MB archive in a piece of DNA the size of a couple of grains of sugar.

More recently, a French startup called Biomemory was offering to store 1 kilobyte in DNA for €1,000 ($1,071) on special DNA Cards, while Seagate was also said to be developing gumstick card-sized DNA storage readers and writers back in 2022.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... sert-photo
The mysterious monoliths that surfaced during the Covid-19 pandemic have reappeared, this time in a Nevada desert.

Other versions of the singular, reflective, 10ft-tall metal installation were found in places like Utah, California, Wales and Romania in 2020, but now can be seen at Gass Peak, roughly 40 miles north of Las Vegas.

“MYSTERIOUS MONOLITH!” Las Vegas police said on X. “We see a lot of weird things when people go hiking like not being prepared for the weather, not bringing enough water... but check this out! Over the weekend, @LVMPDSAR spotted this mysterious monolith near Gass Peak north of the valley.”

The origins of the earlier monoliths were never revealed, sparking conspiracy theories involving aliens or that the appearance of the structures is an elaborate, highly coordinated prank.

The first monolith was discovered by accident in 2020 when wildlife officials were counting bighorn sheep from a helicopter in a desert near Moab, Utah. Shortly after it was found, that monolith mysteriously disappeared.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

:shock:
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Repurposing an old mahogany vanity earlier and trying to accurately date it by looking up the hardware on it. I've had luck doing that before but today I googled "screw aging" and boy did I get some results!!! Not all of them were referring to grooved metal cylinders to fasten wood together either.

And now I want a t-shirt that says "screw aging" with a row of the old screws under the words.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

He was shot in the throat. Now he saves gun victims as a trauma surgeon in Baltimore

Simar Bajaj with photographs by Jason Andrew
Thu 20 Jun 2024 15.00 CEST

Over the course of a 24-hour shift, Joseph Sakran bears witness to horror after horror. His experiences have driven him to become a national advocate and organizer against gun violence.
As a trauma surgeon at Johns Hopkins Medicine, Sakran knows that better than most. He works in Baltimore, which has the highest violent crime rate of any major city in the United States, staffing one of the nation’s busiest Level 1 trauma centers.

He’s also a victim of gun violence himself, having been shot in the throat at age 17.

While more than a hundred thousand people are shot every year in the US, Sakran is the rare case of a man who survived and made it his life’s work to save others.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng- ... eph-sakran
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Detroit's historic Dodge Fountain reborn after decade of dormancy

( with $9 million in funding from the feds -- thanks Joe! ) :thumbsup:

Return to “General Stuff”