COVID-19 and the States

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Notaperson

Re: COVID-19 and the States

Post by Notaperson »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:37 am
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:22 am Michigan now has 6 confirmed cases, might be all are imported. The second and third case were in an epidemiologist and her adult daughter, both boostered, who went to a wedding in Wisconsin. Everyone had to be fully vaxxed (boostered if eligible) and wear masks at the wedding, but at the reception people took off their masks to eat and then started dancing. Epidemiologist was taking video on her phone, realized few people were still wearing masks, and immediately left. It was too late. Several people that attended are symptomatic and have tested positive.
I think about situations like that every time someone goes on and on about how careful they're being and then plans a trip, or attends an event or hangs out with people they haven't seen in a year or does something else that isn't absolutely necessary. Then blames the state for not clamping down harder or other people for not getting vaxxed or whatever other excuse they have for doing what they want to do. If you're going to family gatherings, or holiday parties, or vacations or whatever else, you're not really doing all you can, except possibly exposing yourself and others.

3 friends sick with covid just this week because of a family event or a work function where everyone was triple vaxxed and being "safe" by doing everything but staying the fuck home.
As I just pondered in another thread....what was the point of getting vaxxed and boosted if we're expected to continue staying the fuck home? I'm struggling with this because I'm supposed to fly to FL this week to see family I haven't seen in two years.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Notaperson wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:16 am
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:22 am Michigan now has 6 confirmed cases, might be all are imported. The second and third case were in an epidemiologist and her adult daughter, both boostered, who went to a wedding in Wisconsin. Everyone had to be fully vaxxed (boostered if eligible) and wear masks at the wedding, but at the reception people took off their masks to eat and then started dancing. Epidemiologist was taking video on her phone, realized few people were still wearing masks, and immediately left. It was too late. Several people that attended are symptomatic and have tested positive.
I think about situations like that every time someone goes on and on about how careful they're being and then plans a trip, or attends an event or hangs out with people they haven't seen in a year or does something else that isn't absolutely necessary. Then blames the state for not clamping down harder or other people for not getting vaxxed or whatever other excuse they have for doing what they want to do. If you're going to family gatherings, or holiday parties, or vacations or whatever else, you're not really doing all you can, except possibly exposing yourself and others.

3 friends sick with covid just this week because of a family event or a work function where everyone was triple vaxxed and being "safe" by doing everything but staying the fuck home.
As I just pondered in another thread....what was the point of getting vaxxed and boosted if we're expected to continue staying the fuck home? I'm struggling with this because I'm supposed to fly to FL this week to see family I haven't seen in two years.
So you don't die when you get it?
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:21 am

So you don't die when you get it?
Well of course there is that. But there is much more to life that simply not dying. I mean, staying the fuck home year after year amounts to little more than sitting around waiting to die.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

My double vaxxed grand nephew, student at Columbia, tested pos in NYC. No symptoms.

The first of my very vaxxed fam to test pos.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'm double vaxxed and boosted and I've decided that I will resume seeing family. I'll do a Covid test before I leave, so that I know I won't be spreading anything. And I'll continue my masking up and avoiding people after I get home. I know that Covid is a risk, but I'm trusting that the vaccines and my historically excellent immune system will keep me safe. It's what I can live with.
filly

Post by filly »

Here's the problem as I see it: Omicron is so transmissible that a COVID test one day tells you little about your status the next day. Especially if you are going through airports and flying (where people still remove their masks to eat and drink). I totally get it about seeing family. Our son and DIL are driving to our home on Christmas. They will do an at home test the morning of their trip, as will we. I also know those tests are hard to find, but we found some at Walgreen's last week.

We have friends in MI with large families (kids and grandkids) and they are employing the same strategy. It's not totally without risk, but it reduces it as much as humanly possible other than staying at home.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 4.01.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 4.01.04 PM.png (245.01 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 4.00.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 4.00.44 PM.png (233.47 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I like your chart, p0rtia. I am safer living in Texas near my grandgurlzz than in Arkansas! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

18,000+ reported cases today. Merry COVID Christmas, Florida.
Fla Covid Dec 20 2021.jpg
Fla Covid Dec 20 2021.jpg (328.13 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:49 pm 18,000+ reported cases today. Merry COVID Christmas, Florida.
Well, I guess that settles it. Trip to Florida cancelled.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Very few tests are being done for omicron in Hawaii, but it's obviously here and spreading quickly. I've returned to being a hermit. (Which makes my dog happy, so there's that.)

Unfortunately, I need to work in my real world office for a few days. Fortunately, most people, like me, work from home. I'll be surprised if I see 2 or 3 people while I'm there. And my department is 100% vaccinated & boosted.

The rise began on December 8. This is how fast it's spreading here:
Hawaii COVID-19 Data.png
Hawaii COVID-19 Data.png (4.41 KiB) Viewed 950 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
filly

Post by filly »

Harris County (Houston) just announced the first Omicron death, an unvaccinated male in his 50s with an underlying condition. The spreadnecks will quickly try to differentiate themselves from him but it is coming.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

As a friend and I are both saying, it's inevitable someday we'll get some variant of COVID-19. If the vaccine help limit it to mild symptoms with no long-term effects, I can live with that. The problem is the unvaxxed, especially the high-risk unvaxxed, and everyone who's keeping the disinfo going that keeps filling the hospitals.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Just learned about the passing of a dear friend of mine who was double vaxxed last winter but got Covid in November before he got a booster shot. Devastating news and a reminder to please protect yourself and those around you.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oh crap, I'm not going to be able to visit my dad next week, am I? :mad:
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Notaperson wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:17 pm
p0rtia wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:49 pm 18,000+ reported cases today. Merry COVID Christmas, Florida.
Well, I guess that settles it. Trip to Florida cancelled.
I just dug deeper into the FL data. The situation is really bad in three southeastern counties. Not so bad in the northeastern parts where my family is.

So my FL trip is (tentatively) back on. I think. God I hate this.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

COVID-19 becomes Arizona's leading cause of death
:snippity:
“That makes COVID-19 the leading cause of death in our state, ahead of both heart disease and cancer,” LaBaer said, adding that it doesn’t include people who died from other causes that went untreated because the medical system was overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients.

On a shorter, more recent time frame, the state’s death count has also risen to a notable level. Its seven-day death rate was ranked second in the country behind Montana, as of Friday, with nearly 7 deaths per 100,000 people, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
:snippity:
https://tucson.com/news/local/covid-19- ... 81cb0.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

filly

Post by filly »

Oklahoma

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/oklahoma/
tek

Post by tek »

Through their contracted private PR firm @Saxum_US, @HealthyOklahoma told me today they will are not planning to hold any press briefings this week going into Christmas.
Because of course.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Well, all states.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... iver-covid
The count updates the October estimate that 140,000 minors had lost caregiving adults to the virus, and is four times more than a springtime tally that found nearly 40,000 children had experienced such loss. In a 9 December report titled Hidden Pain, researchers from the COVID Collaborative and Social Policy Analytics published the new total, which they derived by combining coronavirus death numbers with household-level data from the 2019 American Community Survey.

The death toll further underscores the daunting task facing schools as they seek to help students recover not just academically, but also emotionally, from a pandemic that has already stretched 22 months and claimed more than 800,000 American lives. It’s an issue of such elevated concern that Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, on 7 December, used a rare public address to warn Americans of the pandemic’s “devastating” effects on youth mental health. An accompanying 53-page report calls out the particular difficulties experienced by young people who have lost parents or caregivers to the virus.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”