💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
TheNewSaint

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by TheNewSaint »

Once again, the Republican Party has failed to reach a power-sharing agreement with itself.
New Turtle

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by New Turtle »

Looks like Kevin will pick up a few votes this round.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Sparks voted for McCarthy instead of Present. But I can't see how McCarthy can win even with 10+ flips.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper »

McCarthy will not win on the 12th ballot. He is however pealing away at his detractors.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

He flipped a total of 12 so far
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The question is whether there is enough Never McCarthys (5) to block him forever. I suspect there may be, but we shall see.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Jim

Post by Jim »

I think the bigger question is how much will McCarthy prostitute the office in order to be a leader in name only?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

McCarthy 3 votes short.

McCarthy 214
Jeffries 211
Jordon 4
Hern 3
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Jim wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:23 pm I think the bigger question is how much will McCarthy prostitute the office in order to be a leader in name only?
Whatever it takes.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

MAGAts are ANGRY at the "traitors", including Sweet Lou. :lol:
Lou Dobbs @LouDobbs
Perry goes to McCarthy. This is a Swamp initiation!
#TheGreatAmericaShow

Lou Dobbs @LouDobbs 23s
Bishop, Brecheen, Cloud, Clyde, Donalds, Gosar, Luna, Miller, Norman, Ogles, Perry, Roy, Self, Spartz surrender to the Swamp--seven noble reformers now left standing at the Gate to the Swamp. McCarthy needs four of them! God bless the Magnificent Seven!
#TheGreatAmericaShow

Mario Fratto @MarioFratto 1m
Replying to @catturd2
Let's show some appreciation for some of the only members of congress who are actually fighting for the American people, and not the Swamp!
They're risking their future for ours! God Bless them!
#SpeakerVote
@andybiggs4az
@LaurenBoebert
@EliCraneAZ
@MattGaetz
@RepRosendale

Bo Snerdley @BoSnerdley 5m
This is Washington DC.
The Swamp

Punishment WILL be forthcoming.

It might be served hot.
It might be served cold.

It will be served.

Quote Tweet Ed Farmer @edfiii6m
Replying to @BoSnerdley
I don't think that McCarthy can be punitive . . . He's been forced to fight for the speaker's seat and he can be made to fight in order to keep it.

Laura Loomer @LauraLoomer 2m
Looks like @ByronDonalds is just a paper Tiger.
Voted for McCarthy twice. Then he entertained people nominating him. Couldn’t take the heat for more than one day before caving to Kevin McCarthy & giving McCarthy his vote.
His voters are going to be livid. Floridians are pissed.

Loomer Spines.JPG
Loomer Spines.JPG (68.16 KiB) Viewed 1356 times

Loomer MTG.JPG
Loomer MTG.JPG (65.22 KiB) Viewed 1356 times

#BiscuitForSpeaker is still in this hunt!! :thumbsup:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

These idiots rail against the swamp without realizing they are the swamp.
bob

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:30 pm My question is, in the event that the motion is made, does that immediately vacate the Speaker's chair, or does it simply call for a vote of the full house to do so? IOW, if Gaetz made the motion does McCarthy need 218 votes to remain as speaker, or does it take a simple majority vote to remove him? Does it even take a majority vote to hold the vote to actually remove him?
The rule will be whatever a majority agrees to.

But the prevailing proposed interpretation would be to allow a single member to make the motion, disallow procedural roadblocks (like amendments or referring it to a committee), and pass on a simple majority.

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:40 pm My understanding is that whoever gets it, s/he will be bound by all of McCarthy's promises.
Not legally, but perhaps politically.

No one could sue to enforce the agreement (hello, separation of powers and political question), but waiving around a signed document would make compelling teevee, and keep the chattering class, well, chattering.
This next two years will be the Insurrectionists' House.
Oh, yes. But the good news is they'll piss most of it away on dumb theatrics.

The less good news involves the budget, debt ceiling, and inevitable shutdown.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

I can't believe Gosar flipped, wowzers.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Laura Looker echoes the 'harlot' phraseology from Ali Akbar.
raison de arizona

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:24 pm McCarthy 3 votes short.

McCarthy 214
Jeffries 211
Jordon 4
Hern 3
McCarthy finally beat Jeffries.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Awww...Jeffries lost a vote.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:47 pm
noblepa wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:30 pm
This next two years will be the Insurrectionists' House.
Oh, yes. But the good news is they'll piss most of it away on dumb theatrics.

The less good news involves the budget, debt ceiling, and inevitable shutdown.
Which they will be forced to own and eat. I am torn on this. Bear in mind my paycheck comes from the eebil gubmint. And yet due to federal law passed during the late 2018/early 2019 shutdown, I am required to be paid in full for any missed pay once any shutdown ends. So in theory, I will always be made whole. And, of course, as a lesson learned from that shutdown, I keep a float of about 3 paychecks' worth of pay sitting in my account at all times, and used the hardship differential of my service in a developing country for my first Foreign Service assignment to pay off all but 10k or so of revolving balance on the 60k in credit card limit I have available to me (to be clear, when I started in the FS, I owed about 55k against that 60k; so serving in Dhaka was beddy beddy good to me but for, you know, the pollution and through-the-roof stress levels). So I have enough leeway, in the event of a shutdown, to pay bills on my credit cards even if I run through that small cash reserve in my checking account.

Assuming, of course, a shutdown of normal, reasonable length.

I say again: A normal. Reasonable. Length.

Nothing about the pending 118th Congress will be normal. And I am genuinely concerned about how long shutdowns will go. Yes, yes, yes, what passes for the Republican party will OWN that shit. And should. But people -- real people -- will suffer in the meanwhile.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

House begins 13th round of voting after McCarthy flips some holdouts.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Only McCarthy and Jeffries were nominated this time. Suspect that McCarty will get it on this vote.
bob

Post by bob »

Jim wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:05 pm Awww...Jeffries lost a vote.
Trone (D-MD) is absent due to a medical procedure. Buck (R-CO) and Hunt (R-TX) also are absent, so McCarty needs only 216 votes. (Spartz didn't vote present last time.)

The news story of the day will be what was promised to the 12* that flipped to McCarty.

* Donalds (R-FL) and Spartz (R-IN) originally had voted for McCarthy, so they've returned to their original votes.
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:28 pm
Jim wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:05 pm Awww...Jeffries lost a vote.
Trone (D-MD) is absent due to a medical procedure. Buck (R-CO) and Hunt (R-TX) also are absent, so McCarty needs only 216 votes.

The news story of the day will be what was promised to the 14 that flipped to McCarty.
Trone is back at the house, still with slippers and hospital socks.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3802 ... stalemate/
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:18 pm Suspect that McCarthy will get it on this vote.
Which would make my vote in the poll above ... wrong again.

Sniff, sniff, boo hoo, no, that's okay ... I'm used to it by now. :violin: :crying:
bob

Post by bob »

northland10 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:31 pm Trone is back at the house, still with slippers and hospital socks.
That should push the magic number back to 217.

But Harris (R-MD) just voted for McCarthy for the first time. Five Six Republicans (so far) have voted against McCarthy.

Back of the envelope suggests at most ... 215 214 votes. :doh:
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:lol:

:popcorn:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:47 pm
noblepa wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:30 pm My question is, in the event that the motion is made, does that immediately vacate the Speaker's chair, or does it simply call for a vote of the full house to do so? IOW, if Gaetz made the motion does McCarthy need 218 votes to remain as speaker, or does it take a simple majority vote to remove him? Does it even take a majority vote to hold the vote to actually remove him?
The rule will be whatever a majority agrees to.

But the prevailing proposed interpretation would be to allow a single member to make the motion, disallow procedural roadblocks (like amendments or referring it to a committee), and pass on a simple majority.
Yes, but would the vote be to keep him in office or to remove him?

If it is a vote to remove him, then, even though a single member called for the vote, it would require 218 votes to remove him. Less than that, and he remains in the post.

If the vote is to keep him, then he needs 218 votes to remain speaker. Less than that, and we are back where we are today.

Return to “Current Politics”