Hijack This Thread

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Yikes! Good luck.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I've never had a kidney stone but does drinking a lot of water help? Flushing so to speak.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:41 pm I've never had a kidney stone but does drinking a lot of water help? Flushing so to speak.
It's recommended to drink a lot of water, but it's more to help keep more stones from forming. Almost half the people who get a kidney stone have another one within 5 years of the first one.

I'm also taking a medication called Flomax, which members who suffer from enlarged prostates will recognize. Flomax, generic tamsulosin, relaxes the ureter and helps the stone/s pass more easily. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have helped me. But the stone isn't painful, and it isn't blocking or getting infected, so waiting it out to pass naturally is cheaper and has fewer side effects.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

You could always threaten to send Tommy Lee or Pamela Anderson down to keep him company. That ought to be just the kick in the ureter he needs.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:48 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:41 pm I've never had a kidney stone but does drinking a lot of water help? Flushing so to speak.
It's recommended to drink a lot of water, but it's more to help keep more stones from forming. Almost half the people who get a kidney stone have another one within 5 years of the first one.

I'm also taking a medication called Flomax, which members who suffer from enlarged prostates will recognize. Flomax, generic tamsulosin, relaxes the ureter and helps the stone/s pass more easily. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have helped me. But the stone isn't painful, and it isn't blocking or getting infected, so waiting it out to pass naturally is cheaper and has fewer side effects.
I'm sorry. That's awful. Try those side bends over a hay bale like I described earlier. Add cranberry juice and/or red wine to your water. Cut down on caffeinated coffee. Add a late afternoon beer to your fluid intake. And good luck. Let's avoid the knife.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Post by Foggy »

By a curious spooky coincidence, I was reading Tabs on Wonkette and Rebecca said a lady journalist "goes HAM on" Jared for his shitty autobiography, so I had to look that up on Urban Dictionary and it stands for "hard ass motherfucker" but when I came here to tell y'all about it, it seemed to be an eerie, creepy thing, because Az's kidney stone fits the description.

Oops. :oopsy: :bag:
🎶 There might have been things I missed,
but don't be unkind.
It don't mean I'm blind.
- ELP
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:11 am You could always threaten to send Tommy Lee or Pamela Anderson down to keep him company. That ought to be just the kick in the ureter he needs.
That's a great idea! :winner:
bill_g wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:18 am

I'm sorry. That's awful. Try those side bends over a hay bale like I described earlier. Add cranberry juice and/or red wine to your water. Cut down on caffeinated coffee. Add a late afternoon beer to your fluid intake. And good luck. Let's avoid the knife.
Usually no knives involved nowadays, phew. I don't drink coffee, and interestingly, beer in particular is proscribed, along with red meat, seafood, cheese, certain nuts, and anything high in salt. Same diet for kidney stones as for gout, so nothing high in purines.

I've tried the side bends over the hay bale, but that hasn't helped yet.
Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:51 am By a curious spooky coincidence, I was reading Tabs on Wonkette and Rebecca said a lady journalist "goes HAM on" Jared for his shitty autobiography, so I had to look that up on Urban Dictionary and it stands for "hard ass motherfucker" but when I came here to tell y'all about it, it seemed to be an eerie, creepy thing, because Az's kidney stone fits the description.

Oops. :oopsy: :bag:
Sounds accurate to me!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:18 am Usually no knives involved nowadays, phew. I don't drink coffee, and interestingly, beer in particular is proscribed, along with red meat, seafood, cheese, certain nuts, and anything high in salt. Same diet for kidney stones as for gout, so nothing high in purines.

I've tried the side bends over the hay bale, but that hasn't helped yet.
Well pooper scoopers on the dietary limits. Oddly I don't recall my Kaiser Doc saying NO beer or red meat. She did say NO aspirin or spinach and some other stuff. But, I do suffer selective CRS (can't remember stuff). And it's been a few years. We naturally eat more veggies than meat especially when the garden is producing. Spinach was difficult to drop because it was a part of a lot of our recipes. Neither of us drink much beer though nothing cuts the slake in your throat on a hot day better than a beer. It's limited pretty much to a late Summer treat. Mrs prefers her Riesling, and I prefer a Cab after dinner all year. We are/were both coffee fiends, she more than me. One to two cups is all I drink in the mornings now. I switch to my water and cranberry juice by 6am everyday. She'll drink coffee all day if allowed. Soda pop has been gone from our daily diets for decades, and she isn't fond of fruit or veg juices, or POW (plain old water). But, she'll drink water when I look at her sternly.

This is one of those you're-gettin-olde subjects. Ugh.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Azastan wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:48 pm

I have a history of sensitivity to medications and Flomax is one that my body hates. I've developed four of the listed side effects every time I've taken it so I only stay on it for short periods of time.

The two stones I have that were blasted a few months ago were broken up but they can't tell to what extent from an x-ray. At my last visit the fragments hadn't moved and the urologist was advocating for going in and retrieving them. However the stones weren't all that large to begin with and I've passed smaller stones without issue in the past so my inclination is to leave well enough alone. For the record, the two they blasted were numbers four and five for me.

As for diet, we already eat almost entirely fresh food that we prepare so we don't get a ton of sodium. I'm also diabetic so the juices they wanted me to drink are my mortal enemies. As for what I shouldn't be eating, some of the things on the list (like nuts) are part of my tool bag for dealing with the diabetes. If I stopped eating everything I've been told to for my various health conditions I'd be left chewing on raw kale all day, at which point I'd suffer from a protein deficiency. I think I'm inclined to get kidney stones no matter what I do with my diet so I'm not going to alter it more than required to deal with the diabetes, which is my primary concern and is somewhat more difficult to control without medication.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

For my whole life US life expectancy has increased. This is shocking. :shock:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:58 pm

For my whole life US life expectancy has increased. This is shocking. :shock:
Look for it to go even lower when forced birthing starts in earnest. Americans think their health system is the best in the world. Not so!

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/event/what ... lity-rates
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:58 pm For my whole life US life expectancy has increased. This is shocking. :shock:
I expect much of the decline in the most recent years is due to our wretched COVID death rate. I think our life expectancy numbers will improve as fewer people die from it.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Azastan wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:18 am
Usually no knives involved nowadays, phew.
My mother got hers zapped with ultrasonics. Transmogrified 'em from Kid Rock to Baby Pebbles.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Let's talk about cake.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:o
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

So, the old don't-call-the-police demand is out the window now.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

keith wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:39 am

My mother got hers zapped with ultrasonics. Transmogrified 'em from Kid Rock to Baby Pebbles.
:rotflmao:

I think we're headed that way if Kid Rock doesn't leave in a couple of weeks.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I’m admittedly a Dropkick Murphys fan, but that was a great minute.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

Important moving question! What do you do with a big box of VHS tapes? I kinda feel bad about dumping them. Just throw them in the garbage bag and move on?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:59 pm Important moving question! What do you do with a big box of VHS tapes? I kinda feel bad about dumping them. Just throw them in the garbage bag and move on?
Yes.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Thank you!

grabs large garbage bag, heads to t;he tapes....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “General Stuff”