Hijack This Thread

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Get well soon! You can use Kid Rock for some memento jewelry.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Azastan wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:25 pm :snippity:
A quick consultation with the ER doctor resulted in me getting some Dilaudid, and the pain finally went away. The CT scan which followed revealed that, yes indeed, I had a kidney stone, and not just some tiny little kidney stone, but a 6 mm rock. If it'd been a millimeter larger I'd have been getting surgery, but I got sent home with some percoset and anti-nausea meds.

So my little friend the kidney stone rock is slowly but surely scraping his way down my ureter, where I hope he will soon hit my bladder, and then excrutiatingly make his way out of my body. I've named him Kid Rock, in honour of one of TFG's supporters.

It's not currently painful, although I am quite away of Kid Rock's existence, so I am still house sitting. I finish up the house sitting tomorrow anyway, so I'm hanging in there!
Oh, no...I hope you get Kid Rock out of your system soon. As soon as I read your description I knew what it was and I know that pain all too well. I had my third kidney stone in four years a while back and they found two more lying in wait while I was in for that one. They performed lithotripsy on those a couple of months ago and it appears they were broken up but haven't passed. I'm apparently susceptible to them just like my dad.

Oh, and thank Science for dilaudid. I think I've had the full range of opioids at some point during my long battle with back pain and I've never had a hint of getting hooked on them (thank goodness) but I think it would take about two days to get addicted to dilaudid. I got a couple of doses with my first kidney stone and it was the first time I'd been pain free in 8 years. Marvelous stuff.

Anyway, get well soon.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

YOUCH!

Glad to hear you're currently out of pain, and I hope everything gets better soon!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

You can use Kid Rock for some memento jewelry.

:eek: :eek:

Oh no feckin’ way, sister!!!

:eek: :eek:

I can see the irony but…just…
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Sorry, Azastan, I meant to start off with
Oh, ouch! Housesitting isn’t what it used to be!

(my last two housesittings:
1dislocated shoulder
1 hospitalization for pneumonia)
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:58 pm

Oh, and thank Science for dilaudid. I think I've had the full range of opioids at some point during my long battle with back pain and I've never had a hint of getting hooked on them (thank goodness) but I think it would take about two days to get addicted to dilaudid. I got a couple of doses with my first kidney stone and it was the first time I'd been pain free in 8 years. Marvelous stuff.
Before I finally got diagnosed as a migraineur (waaaaaaaayyyyyy back in the 1990s, before Imitrex was available here in the US), I used to make my appearance in Ballard Hospital every few weeks due to a migraine. After about 10 times, the doctors told me that I needed to go to see a neurologist, because they suspected I was addicted to Dilaudid. I went to the neurologist, had a CT scan, was sitting in his waiting room waiting to hear the results (no, I didn't have a brain tumour). Picked up an old, old Reader's Digest and was reading about 'Chinese Restaurant Syndrome'. That's when I realized that a) I had migraines and b) I was VERY sensitive to monosodium glutamate--my worst migraines occurred right after I'd eaten at Louie's, a very good Chinese restaurant). Not one doctor had ever asked me the migraine questions even though I'd complained about my horrible and debilitating headaches for years.

Anyway, the interesting thing about Dilaudid was that whenever they gave it to me for the migraines, it simply made the pain go away and I'd go to sleep. I'd gone in for the CT scan, and been given an injection of an iodine isotope as a tracer. The nurse realized she hadn't asked me if I was allergic to anything, and although I normally wouldn't have told people I was allergic to shellfish, I did that day, and she was in a panic when I told her that, because they thought there was a link with iodine/shellfish allergy. But I wound up getting a shot of Dilaudid without having a migraine first, and finally realized WHY people would get addicted to the stuff!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm so sorry. I hope you are feeling much better soon!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:22 pm Sorry, Azastan, I meant to start off with
Oh, ouch! Housesitting isn’t what it used to be!

(my last two housesittings:
1dislocated shoulder
1 hospitalization for pneumonia)
Oh my, fortunately I haven't experienced anything like that!

I agree about NO MEMENTO JEWELRY. That'd be gross, just like Kid Rock (both the person and the kidney stone).
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Azastan wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:29 pm But I wound up getting a shot of Dilaudid without having a migraine first, and finally realized WHY people would get addicted to the stuff!
Yeah, I've often wondered how wasted I would have been on that stuff if I hadn't been in so much pain. I'm guessing pretty wasted.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:02 pm
Azastan wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:29 pm But I wound up getting a shot of Dilaudid without having a migraine first, and finally realized WHY people would get addicted to the stuff!
Yeah, I've often wondered how wasted I would have been on that stuff if I hadn't been in so much pain. I'm guessing pretty wasted.
I was quite functional, just felt really good. Definitely could see how people would get addicted to it.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

A damn fine tweet.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

They're back, sportsfootball is starting back up and so are the pick 'ems for the 11th season:

https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1598
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:25 pm So my little friend the kidney stone rock is slowly but surely scraping his way down my ureter, where I hope he will soon hit my bladder, and then excrutiatingly make his way out of my body. I've named him Kid Rock, in honour of one of TFG's supporters.
Sorry to hear about Kid Rock entering your life. I've experienced his taking residence as well, and he's not a gracious guest. More a berserker and break the lamp shades kind of guy.

Ibuprophen and meclizine were my go-to drugs. But, what really helped was just getting back to work. Sitting around for a couple weeks did not reduce the pain. Bending, reaching, pulling, lifting, etc fixed it. And I know you are not a sit around kinda gal. So, take a little time off, and then dig back in. Body slams against the hay bales will help.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:38 am
Sorry to hear about Kid Rock entering your life. I've experienced his taking residence as well, and he's not a gracious guest. More a berserker and break the lamp shades kind of guy.

Ibuprophen and meclizine were my go-to drugs. But, what really helped was just getting back to work. Sitting around for a couple weeks did not reduce the pain. Bending, reaching, pulling, lifting, etc fixed it. And I know you are not a sit around kinda gal. So, take a little time off, and then dig back in. Body slams against the hay bales will help.
My friends are all worried about me working too hard (I had an MRI for my back three weeks ago--it's a mess), but I already figured out that the best thing for Kid Rock was to get back to work to help him move on. I take ibuprofen, and if necessary, Percocet. I'm not sure about the body slams against hay bales, but the rest of your advice seems sound to me!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/22/us/p ... etire.html
Dr. Anthony S. Fauci said on Monday that he intended to leave government service in December to "pursue the next chapter" of his career, and that he would step down as President Biden's top medical adviser and the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which he has led for 38 years. The announcement by Dr. Fauci, 81, was not entirely unexpected. He has hinted for some time that he was thinking of retiring.

In an interview Sunday evening, he said he was "not retiring in the classic sense" but would devote himself to traveling, writing and encouraging young people to enter government service. "So long as I'm healthy, which I am, and I'm energetic, which I am, and I'm passionate, which I am, I want to do some things outside of the realm of the federal government," Dr. Fauci said in the interview, adding that he wanted to use his experience and insight into public health and public service to "hopefully inspire the younger generation." In a statement on Monday,
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I am portraying the Suffragist Spirit of 1920 on Friday in Benton, Saline County, Arkansas. The Progressives there are celebrating Women's Equality Day which I will point out is a goal, not yet an achievement. The Day celebrates the passage of the 19th Amendment.

I will be referring to a humorous, but factual article about the Arkansas Special Legislative Session at which the 19th Amendment was ratified. There is reference to Senator Utley who raises a point of order about an attempt to add to the agenda of the special session. This will be gratifying to the audience on Friday because Senator Utley represented Saline County which now is a hotbed of conservatism.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/201 ... hour-2019/
192540014_0729oldnewslede_t800.jpg
192540014_0729oldnewslede_t800.jpg (119.93 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Here is my garb for the event.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
For you Downtown Abbey fans, I am wearing an Edwardian Tea Dress. Suffragists worked many years and were encouraged to stay in fashion to better represent their cause. I like the fashion of that time. I have learned that pearls did not come into fashion until the 20's so I will be wearing a different necklace and drop earrings per Titanic Edwardian times. I will wear the hat down on my forehead per fashion dictates. The photographer wanted me to tip it back. My mother would have corrected her.
Attachments
IMG_5878.JPG
IMG_5878.JPG (83.18 KiB) Viewed 811 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Probably could swap your specs out for a nice pair of Joe's 'Aviators' but perhaps not quite right for the times.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbsup:

My maternal grandmother was a suffragette practically from birth in 1894 until the amendment was ratified.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:

You rock!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Post by Foggy »

I am seriously looking forward to hearing about the grand appearance of Kid Rock, followed by its immediate disappearance from the world stage, goodbye and good riddance to you.
:cussing:
🎶 There might have been things I missed,
but don't be unkind.
It don't mean I'm blind.
- ELP
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

TRL - great outfit, and you look beautiful and feisty!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Any suggestions for relief of painful shoulder tendonitis while I wait for the ortho appointment? It's a known (but apparently not common) side effect of the radiation but my radiation oncologist had no suggestions. She acted like she didn't even know what it was. My surgeon immediately recognized it and sent in a referral for me. Meanwhile. it hurts like hell. I'm already alternating Aleve and ibuprophen for the joint pain from the Keytruda.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:46 am Any suggestions for relief of painful shoulder tendonitis while I wait for the ortho appointment? It's a known (but apparently not common) side effect of the radiation but my radiation oncologist had no suggestions. She acted like she didn't even know what it was. My surgeon immediately recognized it and sent in a referral for me. Meanwhile. it hurts like hell. I'm already alternating Aleve and ibuprophen for the joint pain from the Keytruda.
I am not a doctor or a physical therapist, however, I found the following shoulder pendulum exercises using a chair helpful when I suffered from frozen shoulder. It increases range of motion without a lot of addition stress.

https://www.tummee.com/yoga-poses/shoul ... ises-chair

Using the chair helps support your lower back while doing the exercise.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

FiveAcres wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:19 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:46 am Any suggestions for relief of painful shoulder tendonitis while I wait for the ortho appointment? It's a known (but apparently not common) side effect of the radiation but my radiation oncologist had no suggestions. She acted like she didn't even know what it was. My surgeon immediately recognized it and sent in a referral for me. Meanwhile. it hurts like hell. I'm already alternating Aleve and ibuprophen for the joint pain from the Keytruda.
I am not a doctor or a physical therapist, however, I found the following shoulder pendulum exercises using a chair helpful when I suffered from frozen shoulder. It increases range of motion without a lot of addition stress.

https://www.tummee.com/yoga-poses/shoul ... ises-chair

Using the chair helps support your lower back while doing the exercise.
Thank you. I did those for a couple of months after the surgery when my entire left arm was tightening up. They helped tremendously for that but don't seem to be doing anything for the tendonitis but making it hurt more.

Half the info on Google says use ice, half the info says don't use ice.

Return to “General Stuff”