January 6 Select Committee

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Per Jan 6 Committee member speaking with
@CBSEveningNews
-- Yes we will see the transcripts from Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner, Rudy Giuliani and more....
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:popcorn:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Is it Monday yet? :waiting:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My shift for :waiting: is on Saturday. Who is on for Sunday? Kendra needs a rest! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jan. 6 panel to vote on urging DOJ to prosecute Trump on at least three criminal charges

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/1 ... l-00074411
The report that the select panel is expected to consider on Monday afternoon, described to POLITICO by two people familiar with its contents, reflects some recommendations from a subcommittee that evaluated potential criminal referrals. Among the charges that subcommittee proposes for Trump: 18 U.S.C. 2383, insurrection; 18 U.S.C. 1512(c), obstruction of an official proceeding; and 18 U.S.C. 371, conspiracy to defraud the United States government.

It’s unclear whether the select committee’s final report will recommend additional charges for Trump beyond the three described to POLITICO, or whether it will urge other criminal charges for other players in Trump’s bid to subvert his 2020 loss. The document, according to the people familiar, includes an extensive justification for the recommended charges.

To justify incitement of insurrection, the report references U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta’s February ruling saying Trump’s language plausibly incited violence on Jan. 6, 2021, when a mob of his supporters besieged the Capitol in a bid to disrupt congressional certification of his loss to Joe Biden. The report also cites the Senate’s 57 votes in last year’s impeachment trial, Trump’s second, to convict him on an “incitement of insurrection” charge passed by the House.

The select panel’s report also notes that, in order to violate the insurrection statute, Trump did not need an express agreement with rioters — but rather, simply needed to provide “aid or comfort” to them.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Ex-Trump Attorney Has No Doubt Trump Will Be Criminally Referred For Jan. 6 Riot
Lawyer Ty Cobb predicted the House Jan. 6 committee will vote to recommend the Justice Department prosecute Trump.

Lee Moran
Dec 15, 2022, 04:33 AM EST Updated Dec 15, 2022

Ty Cobb, a former White House lawyer to Donald Trump, on Wednesday said he was confident the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection would criminally refer the former president to the Justice Department for prosecution.

CNN’s Erin Burnett asked Cobb if he had “any doubt” the committee probing the violence that Trump incited at the U.S. Capitol would vote next week to refer the ex-president. The committee may make its recommendations as soon as Monday.

“I do not,” replied Cobb, who since leaving the White House in 2018 has become a fierce critic of Trump.

“I think they started out with that as a goal and I think they certainly have put forward evidence that would justify, even in the absence of cross-examination — which I think is an unfortunate product of the committee’s constitution. But even without the cross-examination, clearly the evidence they have put forward justifies them to make a criminal referral,” he continued.

Cobb acknowledged that a referral would be “largely symbolic” and that the Justice Department would not be “required to do anything with it.

But “I’m sure they will refer the former president,” he added of the committee.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ty-cobb- ... 9d76de8276
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

via Jay Kuo
@jaykuo@universeodon.com (Mastodon)
Two More Pieces of the Coup Puzzle Just Fell Into Place

Jay Kuo
6 hr ago

There was a Friday evening news dump of sorts on the January 6 investigation, so I’m providing a rare Saturday update on what went down in federal court and why it matters to the bigger picture.

To understand Friday’s legal development a bit better, we first need to rewind to events of this past summer. On August 10, 2022, federal investigators seized the cell phone of Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA), a close Trump ally in Congress. This followed on the June 2022 seizures of phones owned by two suspected coup plotters, Department of Justice official Jeffrey Clark and Trump lawyer John Eastman. Investigators had also recovered documents from Department of Justice official Ken Klukowski, who was working with Clark to overturn the election but is now cooperating with prosecutors.

The seizures set off alarm bells in Trumpland because they meant that one or more federal judges had signed off on the search warrants. That meant the Department had established that there was probable cause to believe crimes had been committed and that evidence of those crimes could be found on those electronic devices.

After that flurry of activity, there was no further news about those phones and what communications they or the other devices of these Trump allies contained…until yesterday. Late Friday, at the request of the Justice Department, the Hon. Beryl A. Howell, chief judge of the Federal District Court in Washington, D.C., unsealed two earlier orders she had issued. While the orders remain partially redacted, they reveal some important behind-the-scenes information.

Investigators had seized the documents from lawyers and a sitting Congressmember, so per protocol a “filter team” at the DoJ had been reviewing the documents for any potential attorney-client or work product privileges. (The apt name of the filter team raised a chuckle: “Project Coconut.”) Following the review, the Trump allies sought to prevent the turning over of certain evidence, but in two rather scathing orders, Judge Howell ordered them released to investigators.

https://statuskuo.substack.com/p/two-mo ... oup-puzzle
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks RTH, that's huge help. There were some tidbits on Politico that didn't quite flesh it out so well. :popcorn:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As a reminder... Final public January 6 Committee meeting MONDAY at 1pm EST.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:31 pm As a reminder... Final public January 6 Committee meeting MONDAY at 1pm EST.
Thank goodness I don't work on Mondays. Going to be glued to the teevee. 10 AM Pacific, right?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:41 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:31 pm As a reminder... Final public January 6 Committee meeting MONDAY at 1pm EST.
Thank goodness I don't work on Mondays. Going to be glued to the teevee. 10 AM Pacific, right?
Yes. :dance:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:waiting:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

The big day is here. I hope it makes me happy. I hope it gives us a new thread, TRUMP REFERRED FOR INDICTMENTS!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

One more hour :waiting:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NBC News’
@ryanobles
reports that the 5 GOP House members picked by McCarthy to be on Jan 6 Cmte (… but didn’t actually serve on it)
… will release a counter report of more than 100 pages as a “rebuttal” to the actual Jan 6 Cmte final report.
Due out later this week
tek

Post by tek »

so let me get this straight.

The J6 cmte put in many months of hard work, interviewed thousands of witnesses, pieced this narrative together..
And a bunch of GOP brainacs are going to work for a couple days to come up with 100 pages of FAKE NEWS!!1! ...

Is that about right?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

tek wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:00 pm so let me get this straight.

The J6 cmte put in many months of hard work, interviewed thousands of witnesses, pieced this narrative together..
And a bunch of GOP brainacs are going to work for a couple days to come up with 100 pages of FAKE NEWS!!1! ...

Is that about right?
Yes, I think you have it. I just heard something on air about they're going to bring back the Capitol wasn't protected argument again :mad:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

tek wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:00 pm so let me get this straight.

Is that about right?
They’re very big pages.

3E60E8E1-ED85-4D2F-8304-5CD0BC47D6DB.jpeg
3E60E8E1-ED85-4D2F-8304-5CD0BC47D6DB.jpeg (60.81 KiB) Viewed 563 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:rotflmao: extended 'zibits by /s/&/s/ :lol:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:waiting:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Maybe they will incriminate themselves some more in their 'buttal.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

New Turtle wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:50 pm Maybe they will incriminate themselves some more in their 'buttal.
:daydreaming:

Ten more minutes. Bathroom break done, devices plugged in.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I see Michael Fanone and the other three officers from the first hearing in the audience, looks like front row seats. Two minutes to go....
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

MSNBC
@msnbc@mastodon.online
BREAKING: The Jan. 6 committee is expected to refer Trump lawyer John Eastman to the DOJ for criminal charges, according to a dress rehearsal overheard by NBC News and two other sources.

Live blog: on.msnbc.com/3W23yTf

https://www.msnbc.com/congress/jan-6-he ... -rcna61868
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”