💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Dave from down under

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Dave from down under »

If the speaker isn’t in the house

Who fulfills the role?

Eg if Kevin finds someone toadie enough to be voted speaker but then leave the positions running to Kevin
tek

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by tek »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:37 pm Just to show my ignorance

Is anything happening in the US Senate while this bit of theatre is happening?
Senate is doing what it can. IIRC they are confirming judges etc..
tek

Post by tek »

Current theory is that we're gonna do another vote because the GOP doesn't have enough votes to adjourn.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

10th vote underway. Daily Kos is doing live updates and they say that, in addition to being a numbskull, Kevin has a masochism problem.
bob

Post by bob »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:38 pm One the 9th vote McCarthy's total dropped from 201 to 200.
Ken Buck (CO-4) had voted for McCarthy previously, but didn't vote (for anyone) this round.

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:46 pm If the speaker isn’t in the house

Who fulfills the role?

Eg if Kevin finds someone toadie enough to be voted speaker but then leave the positions running to Kevin
In theory, McCarthy could nominate a figurehead but still then do the actual leadering.

But the same minority-majority members would just move to vacate that person.
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

McCarthy has been nominated in the 10th round of voting.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Ole Kevin is in a horrible batting slump, 0-9 with nine Ks. Can't even move a baserunner up 90 feet. He can't be sent back to the minors because he is out of options. I don't know how much longer he will remain on the 26-man active roster before being cut loose to become a free agent.

Maybe he should move to Arizona and run for Senate in '24.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Gupwalla

Post by Gupwalla »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:37 pm Just to show my ignorance

Is anything happening in the US Senate while this bit of theatre is happening?
The Senate approved continuing business, selected a new President Pro Tempore (to replace Sen Leahy, who has retired), and selected new legal counsel.

The Pro Tempore selection, interestingly, was outside of traditional guidelines and could have been an occasion for fireworks. But it went smoothly.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/ ... tivity.htm
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

sad-cafe wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:09 pm what is the significance behind different colors of congress-elect pins?
I tried looking it up and couldn't find anything...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bob

Post by bob »

Gupwalla wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:58 pmThe Pro Tempore selection, interestingly, was outside of traditional guidelines and could have been an occasion for fireworks. But it went smoothly.
The gossip is that Feinstein, who was bypassed, will soon-enough announce her resignation.

SuzieC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:52 pm 10th vote underway. Daily Kos is doing live updates and they say that, in addition to being a numbskull, Kevin has a masochism problem.
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Interesting about Feinstein. Any speculation about who Gov. Newsom might appoint?
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Already lost round 10

He also is down to 200 votes in the last round. He's losing 1 vote each day this goes on. The longest speaker election in over 200 years.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That last tweet from Mystal…chefs kiss.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

This already is the longest House speaker election in 164 years.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

SuzieC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:17 pm Interesting about Feinstein. Any speculation about who Gov. Newsom might appoint?
Nancy Pelosi?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Rep. Hern has picked up several votes. Not sure if these are from Donalds or McCarthy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It has to be said; There wasn't this much chaos when George Santos was speaker.
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

We're now at Robert MT Hunter of the 29th congress territory with 11 ballots which took place in 1839. He served one term as speaker and was not renominated. He then went on to become a Senator for Virginia and then became the CSA's Secretary of State.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

bob wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:53 pm
Volkonski wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:38 pm One the 9th vote McCarthy's total dropped from 201 to 200.
Ken Buck (CO-4) had voted for McCarthy previously, but didn't vote (for anyone) this round.
Ken Buck had a doctor appointment, apparently he will not return today.
(I think I read that on CNN, not certain though.)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

I have many posts to read. Bizzy day, all day.

But I see there's going to be a 10th vote.

And all this Republican chaos is probably making woodworker very sad. :cry:

Ol' Wifehorn says the ONLY POSSIBLE RATIONAL outcome now is Republicans making a deal to elect Hakeem. In exchange for some serious concessions, but the MAGAts would lose their tiny minds, so I hope she's right. :pray:

But we're not living in a rational Universe any more. That horse done left a while ago.
Katie Porter '28
bob

Post by bob »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:25 pm Rep. Hern has picked up several votes. Not sure if these are from Donalds or McCarthy.
Appears to be Donalds'.

Off Topic
SuzieC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:17 pm Interesting about Feinstein. Any speculation about who Gov. Newsom might appoint?
Adam Schiff is assumed to have the pole position (he didn't seek any leadership positions in the House conference), but Reps. Ro Khanna and Katie Porter also are discussed.
Image ImageImage
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:32 pm I have many posts to read. Bizzy day, all day.

But I see there's going to be a 10th vote.

And all this Republican chaos is probably making woodworker very sad. :cry:

Ol' Wifehorn says the ONLY POSSIBLE RATIONAL outcome now is Republicans making a deal to elect Hakeem. In exchange for some serious concessions, but the MAGAts would lose their tiny minds, so I hope she's right. :pray:

But we're not living in a rational Universe any more. That horse done left a while ago.
naw foggy 10th vote just happened. We're at #11 now.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Reporting that deal is in the works but we've been there before.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:32 pm Ol' Wifehorn says the ONLY POSSIBLE RATIONAL outcome now is Republicans making a deal to elect Hakeem. In exchange for some serious concessions, but the MAGAts would lose their tiny minds, so I hope she's right. :pray:

Yes. There are multiple irrational universes. This vote is over which of those irrational universes we will inhabit.

Return to “Current Politics”