US v Peter Navarro

bob

US v Peter Navarro

Post by bob »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:54 am I have no problem with using earned doctorate titles in nonmedical academic environments.

However I see no reason why a defendant's academic degrees should be a consideration when evaluating guilt in a contempt of Congress trial.
Addressing a defendant (or witness) by their earned title is in the discretion of the judge, but no judge will be reversed just for ignoring such a title.

And calling attention to your client's superior education won't help when you beg the court for mercy when you claim your client was ignorant/just following other's advice.
Image ImageImage
tek

US v Peter Navarro

Post by tek »

I guess his MPA program didn't cover ethics...
AndyinPA
Verified:

US v Peter Navarro

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:54 am I have no problem with using earned doctorate titles in nonmedical academic environments.

However I see no reason why a defendant's academic degrees should be a consideration when evaluating guilt in a contempt of Congress trial.
Agree. I have a friend who has taught a semester each year at a university in Denmark for many years. After about twenty years, he was given an honorary degree. He always calls himself Dr. P_____. He even set up his website as Dr. P_____.com. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even have a Master's Degree. He has authored quite a few textbooks in his field.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:45 am

Addressing a defendant (or witness) by their earned title is in the discretion of the judge, but no judge will be reversed just for ignoring such a title.

I complained about this a couple of times at the trial level when the prosecutors would invariably refer to female military sex assault victims by their first names rather than their rank and last name. I argued that it played into the paternalistic notion prevalent in the military that women were weak and therefore more likely to be victims. The judge always agreed with me and made the prosecutors instruct their witnesses (other than family members of the victim) refer to the victim by rank and last name.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
New Turtle

US v Peter Navarro

Post by New Turtle »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:09 pm

Agree. I have a friend who has taught a semester each year at a university in Denmark for many years. After about twenty years, he was given an honorary degree. He always calls himself Dr. P_____. He even set up his website as Dr. P_____.com. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even have a Master's Degree. He has authored quite a few textbooks in his field.
Usually when people call me Dr. 🐢, they are trying to get me to do some work for them.
Volkonski
Verified:

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Volkonski »

It was a custom in the past to address learned people of outstanding achievement as "Doctor" regardless of their academic degrees. Benjamin Franklin and Samuel Johnson had honorary
doctorates and were so addressed in later life.

I recall from my record collecting days that Eugene Ormandy was styled "Dr. Eugene Ormandy" on some recordings he made in the 1930s. He did not use the title in later life.

In the UK physicians are addressed as "doctor" but surgeons are not.

(Or maybe sometimes they are? In his novel "The Hound of the Baskervilles" author Arthur Conan Doyle, who was a physician, introduces a character as Dr. Mortimer. The character corrects Holmes and Watson that he is Mr. Mortimer as he is a surgeon. Doyle then proceeds to call the character "Dr. Mortimer" for the rest of the book.)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Slim Cognito »

My uncle was literally a rocket scientist for NASA, helped design the moon buggy. It drove mom crazy he insisted being called Dr. But he was A FREAKIN' ROCKET SCIENTIST!!! I think that counts.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

If you earned it you deserve to wear it and be called “doctor”, except for lawyers who have traditionally not been called “doctor”. IMHO.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:58 pm If you earned it you deserve to wear it and be called “doctor”, except for lawyers who have traditionally not been called “doctor”. IMHO.
If I remember correctly the lawyer equivalent to a PhD is Master at Law....

If you had one you would be Master at Law Third Grandma...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

US v Peter Navarro

Post by pipistrelle »

When I studied editing, it was considered bad form to use Dr. except for medical doctors, dentists, veterinarians. That's still in my head.

But then I'm tired of seeing MBA after every name too.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Luke »

:lol: I'll pretty much use Dr. for anybody... I call my pharmacists Dr. and It brightens their day. :P

But not Pete Navarro. He'll be lucky if he gets called "dude" considering the alternatives.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
p0rtia

US v Peter Navarro

Post by p0rtia »

I think "punk" is the correct honorific for navarro.

As in, "Suck scissors, punk."
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

US v Peter Navarro

Post by keith »

orlylicious wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:02 am :lol: I'll pretty much use Dr. for anybody... I call my pharmacists Dr. and It brightens their day. :P

But not Pete Navarro. He'll be lucky if he gets called "dude" considering the alternatives.
Negatory.

As an ordained minister in the Church of the Later-Dude (please note my avatar), I can say with Great Authorty that this Navaro jerk would not pass even the minimum naivete levels.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:50 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:58 pm If you earned it you deserve to wear it and be called “doctor”, except for lawyers who have traditionally not been called “doctor”. IMHO.
If I remember correctly the lawyer equivalent to a PhD is Master at Law....

If you had one you would be Master at Law Third Grandma...
That has a dominatrix sound to it..... :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Gregg

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Gregg »

I like the odd occasion where I am introduced, usually to an assembly, as "Dr. Gregg"

As to people who may have the right to the title despite not being awarded one formally, I can only say Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, drop the mic and exit the stage...

Navarro is still a phucktwaddle. :eek:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

US v Peter Navarro

Post by raison de arizona »

In this video, Anarchy Princess is sexually assaulted and gaslit.
► Show Spoiler
Rosemary @Rosemary_426 wrote: Jericho Steve assaults @SatireAP twice, tries to gaslight her then mouths off to Marshall who, instead of arresting him, only asked him to move away from her. Nice people you got there #J6Vigil #FreedomCorner.
Only the best people!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

US v Peter Navarro

Putting this here since she's been tailing Navarro and I can't think of a better place. Anarchy Princess got arrested for assault for blowing her whistle. She was let go though.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Gregg »

I personally think she's an anooying rabble rouser....

but I also think that the Current Supreme Court has made blowing a whistle well within all the other stuff they've managed to stuff into Free Speech when it suits them.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:43 pm I personally think she's an anooying rabble rouser....

but I also think that the Current Supreme Court has made blowing a whistle well within all the other stuff they've managed to stuff into Free Speech when it suits them.
I mean, I get the confusion on this -- she's clearly not a corporation and a whistle clearly isn't money.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Kendra »

On Arm Member show right now.
pipistrelle

US v Peter Navarro

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:03 pm On Arm Member show right now.
You mean Ari Melber, but for a moment I thought I was in the poor rooster thread.
Kendra

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Kendra »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:05 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:03 pm On Arm Member show right now.
You mean Ari Melber, but for a moment I thought I was in the poor rooster thread.
Damned autocorrect on the tablet :bag:
Kendra

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Kendra »

Apparently Navarro posted something really vile about Cassidy Hutchinson and other former WH staff on Twitter/X. I don't have account, so if someone wants to find link and post here, we can all hate him more.
raison de arizona

US v Peter Navarro

IMG_5820.png
IMG_5820.png (233.11 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Slim Cognito
Verified:

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Slim Cognito »

Big words from a very tiny man.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”