Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
chancery
Verified:

Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Post by chancery »

Foggy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:55 am
Edit: TODAY. I predict the DOJ will file the brief that is due today in the Supreme Court ... today. Do I have a "fingers crossed" smiley? :pray:
I’m predicting 4:30 pm for the DOJ’s filing.

:waiting:
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

realist wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:38 pm

It's a vicious circle. Because of their belief system, however they got there, and in this case through Trump, it does not matter one whit what the press says. They don't believe it. Facts mean nothing.
I disagree -- it isn't that facts mean nothing, it's that they have rejected so many sources as unreliable and accepted sources that contradict empirical evidence so they no longer have a consistent knowledge base for critical thinking. In other words, they are only capable of motivated reasoning -- they can "prove" whatever conclusion they want to from the pool of facts that they accept.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

As I said, indulging in Rational Existentialism, which is concluding that there is a divine force out there, isn't the problem. If it was there would be lots more of this around in areas that are a lot more religious than the US.

Philosophical skepticism is the problem. That's where dismissing knowledge and experts comes from. Twinned with Fox News injecting poison into the social body.

That means they no longer have any kind of center to build their worldview, so its completely malleable.
Hic sunt dracones
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

chancery wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:10 pm
Foggy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:55 am
Edit: TODAY. I predict the DOJ will file the brief that is due today in the Supreme Court ... today. Do I have a "fingers crossed" smiley? :pray:
I’m predicting 4:30 pm for the DOJ’s filing.

:waiting:
It's 4:45 pm in Greenland
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It’s here!

Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

And Steve Vladeck’s take -

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Jinxed!

What's with the Courier-like font?
Slarti the White

Suranis wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:37 pm As I said, indulging in Rational Existentialism, which is concluding that there is a divine force out there, isn't the problem. If it was there would be lots more of this around in areas that are a lot more religious than the US.

Philosophical skepticism is the problem. That's where dismissing knowledge and experts comes from. Twinned with Fox News injecting poison into the social body.

That means they no longer have any kind of center to build their worldview, so it's completely malleable.
I agree -- faith and rational thought are not mutually exclusive, they are orthogonal. You can have both, neither, or one without the other. Although there is an issue with demagogues like Trump using cargo-cult faith (the trappings without the substance) to manipulate those malleable worldviews.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

realist wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:54 pm Because of their belief system, however they got there, and in this case through Trump, it does not matter one whit what the press says. They don't believe it. Facts mean nothing.
Before I download and read the brief, I just want to say that we may be testing the limits of that someday soon.

What happens if gas prices drop below $2.25 a gallon but Trump is still screaming at the hate rallies that gas prices are through the roof? He doesn't buy gas, he has no clue what it costs. But the Trumpers who go to a rally and hear him scream about high gas prices, what's the reaction when they go to fill their tanks? Do they suddenly decide $2.25 is outrageously high, more than they've ever paid before? How deep does the psychosis go?
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Slarti the White

chancery wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:21 pm Jinxed!

I like it.
:towel:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Yeah, what Ben said. And to Realist—I’m not looking for the press, or anyone else, to inform the worshippers; their failure misleads those who are trying to base their Opinions on the best evidence available. It also skews just about every aspect of political reporting in our era.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Slarti the White wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:33 pm
chancery wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:21 pm Jinxed!

I like it.
:towel:
We'll have to disagree about that. :oldman:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I wrote briefs on typewriters. They all had Courier typeface. That's what legal documents did.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

That is a SCOTUS Rule. Font from the Century family. Century Schoolbook is mentioned by name.

https://thethermidor.com/what-font-does ... court-use/
The text of every booklet-format document, including any appendix thereto, shall be typeset in Century family (e.g., Century Expanded, New Century Schoolbook, or Century Schoolbook) 12-point type with 2-point or more leading between lines.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

chancery wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:21 pm What's with the Courier-like font?
It's what the original Constitution was typed in. Can't use any of those modern woke fonts. Proportional? Kerning? Tools of liberals!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

My favorite line of the brief:
Meanwhile, the government’s in­vestigation is ongoing, as is a national security review and as­sessment being coordinated by the Office of the Director of Na­tional Intelligence.
8-)
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:24 pm That is a SCOTUS Rule. Font from the Century family. Century Schoolbook is mentioned by name.

https://thethermidor.com/what-font-does ... court-use/
The text of every booklet-format document, including any appendix thereto, shall be typeset in Century family (e.g., Century Expanded, New Century Schoolbook, or Century Schoolbook) 12-point type with 2-point or more leading between lines.
I think the DOJ's opposition was printed on regular 8.5/11 paper, not as a booklet. The Solicitor General's Office doesn't need to show off.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

chancery wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:59 pm Yabbut you're missing the point.

I know Century Schoolbook. Century Schoolbook is a good friend of mine. Courier is no Century Schoolbook.
Unless there is a reason you require a fixed font, there is absolutely no reason to use Courier in this day and age.

Just like no one should use two spaces after a period when using a proportional font.

Edited to add - This is about all the discussion that the typeface deserves. Sorry I prolonged it.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Lassie was desperately barking and trying to get the Millers to realize little Timmy was stuck in the well.

Arf! Arf!

But enough about fonts, it's a raw document. The important thing is, this is really an unimportant aspect of the overall documents case. The Supremes aren't gonna give the classified documents to Dearie, but if they do, immediate nationable fireworks kaboom.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:03 pm
chancery wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:59 pm Yabbut you're missing the point.

I know Century Schoolbook. Century Schoolbook is a good friend of mine. Courier is no Century Schoolbook.
Unless there is a reason you require a fixed font, there is absolutely no reason to use Courier in this day and age.

Just like no one should use two spaces after a period when using a proportional font.
That silly post of mine that you quoted was based on a hasty misreading of a post by Reality Check to mean the opposite of what he said.

I tried to delete my post ... in fact, the forum software seemed to indicate that I had successfully done so, but it was still there next time I logged on, so I edited it to say something else. I think that the FogGod must have heard my prayers and finally nuked it
MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:03 pm Edited to add - This is about all the discussion that the typeface deserves. Sorry I prolonged it.
Foggy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:08 pm But enough about fonts, it's a raw document. The important thing is, this is really an unimportant aspect of the overall documents case.

:point: LOL, no, typefaces are always important, particularly in court papers. ;)
Foggy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:23 pm I wrote briefs on typewriters. They all had Courier typeface. That's what legal documents did.
Not like this one; the Selectric courier was much bolder and more distinct. So was the courier typeface used on old Wang systems and pre-windows PC WordPerfect.

What the Solicitor General used here looks like a version of the postscript courier typeface. Similar courier versions were bundled with MS-Word/Mac, although they've gotten a little less bad. It's flabby and thin; not nearly enough ink on the pages. That makes it unpleasantly harder to read on the screen and can be a disaster in second and third generation hard copies, especially if one of the generations was a faxed copy. The unkerned justification makes it look even worse. A plague on it.

However, notwithstanding the poor typography, it's a very good response paper from the SG.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Totally agree, the font sucks. Haven’t tried yet to read the response- dinner’s waiting!

Will try tomorrow on my laptop instead of my phone
realist

Post by realist »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:36 pm Yeah, what Ben said. And to Realist—I’m not looking for the press, or anyone else, to inform the worshippers; their failure misleads those who are trying to base their Opinions on the best evidence available. It also skews just about every aspect of political reporting in our era.
We’ll, excuse me for misunderstanding your post. When you stated what was mind-boggling was that 98% of the press never points out that these people are the problem, I assumed, apparently wrongly, that you believed they should do so.
Image X 4
Image X 33
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

Another piece on Bobb's role. The sources, perhaps including her lawyer, spin for team Bobb, but this in particular stood out as singularly implausible:
Ms. Bobb has made clear that she is not taking an adversarial position toward Mr. Trump in answering the Justice Department’s questions. She told investigators that before she signed the attestation, she heard Mr. Trump tell Mr. Corcoran that they should cooperate with the Justice Department and give prosecutors what they wanted — an assurance that would come to ring hollow as the investigation proceeded and became a bitter court fight.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

andersweinstein wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:43 pm Another piece on Bobb's role. The sources, perhaps including her lawyer, spin for team Bobb, but this in particular stood out as singularly implausible:
Ms. Bobb has made clear that she is not taking an adversarial position toward Mr. Trump in answering the Justice Department’s questions. She told investigators that before she signed the attestation, she heard Mr. Trump tell Mr. Corcoran that they should cooperate with the Justice Department and give prosecutors what they wanted — an assurance that would come to ring hollow as the investigation proceeded and became a bitter court fight.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1579947485157466112
No she didn't. Unless tfg was being facetious.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
much ado

Post by much ado »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:52 pm
andersweinstein wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:43 pm Another piece on Bobb's role. The sources, perhaps including her lawyer, spin for team Bobb, but this in particular stood out as singularly implausible:
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1579947485157466112
No she didn't. Unless tfg was being facetious.
Or unless Trump was lying to Corcoran in front of her to set her up.

Would Trump do something that devious?

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”