Hijack This Thread

Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:26 pm When my sweetie passed away in 2018, we owned a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe (mine) and a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe (his). It was amazing how many safety features Hyundai had added in those 5 years! It was an easy decision to sell my Santa Fe and start driving his. I wish all new cars had those extra features. Fortunately, they're becoming more standard on more cars over time.
The Santa Fe was the other front runner when I bought my Outback. Ultimately, the Outback won because Mrs. Shizzle could see better out of it, greater carrying capacity and bad weather capability. However, I liked the electronics and controls in the Santa Fe better (too many functions that should be buttons or switches are buried in the touchscreen on the Outback), storage in the front seats was better, and the car I was looking at had a huge panoramic sunroof that I instantly fell in love with.

Mrs. Shizzle's car is a Hyundai Tucson that we bought from her sister when she got too sick to drive. It's completely different from the Outback but it's a nice little runabout for town. Oddly, my Outback gets better overall mileage than her much smaller Tucson gets on the highway.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott Friedman
@ScottNBC5
·
29m
Breaking: TxDMV executive director Whitney Brewster has resigned amidst mounting questions about widespread fraud in the state's temporary license plate system, the scale of the problem exposed in an ongoing series of reports from NBC5 Investigates
@nbcdfw

https://txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/b ... cement.pdf
Last summer on Long Island while in a parking lot we happened to be near a police car. As the officer got out to go get his lunch he remarked to us that it was nice to see our proper TX license plate. We asked why this was so. He explain that there were a large number of fake TX paper plates showing up in Long Island. That was the first we heard of this issue.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Neat trick in today’s NYT crossword, no matter which franchise you think is the best sci-fi, the crossing words still work.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Neet!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

At my day job, we have a global communications team that localizes documents in our 8 languages and also works with our International Office teams to ensure the context is correct. We do this to avoid things like this instruction manual I am reading:
Thanks for purchasing our products. Please read this manual before assembly. And please assemble in order. After the assembly, keep the instruction properly. Make sure all the parts are concluded (12 kinds in total).
One advantage of the tone that sounds either ESL or run through Google translate means I am going to actually read the manual to see what more fun comes later.

I sort of like the informal personal approach of "thanks" and it comes later as well.
Insert Air Rod into the hole of Foot Stool. Put it aside and we'll use it in Step 6.
While not as personal, other parts provide enjoyment and they are mainly in the cautions
Caution: Confirm the Castors must be inserted into the innermost.
:snippity:
Caution: There is a FRONT letter print on the front of the Base Plate
Uh, What?
Caution: If the Air Rod doesn't insert into Base Plate firmly, it's likely to fall down when the chair
When the chair what? Do I have to subscribe to episode 2 for that?

But don't worry about problems.
After purchasing our product, a customer service is supplied for you.
Luckily, the international nature of my day job has provided ample experience to be able to understand requests similar to the above. If something goes wrong with my build here, I will just send an email to the customer service and ask them to do the needful.
101010 :towel:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:45 pm
Scott Friedman
@ScottNBC5
·
29m
Breaking: TxDMV executive director Whitney Brewster has resigned amidst mounting questions about widespread fraud in the state's temporary license plate system, the scale of the problem exposed in an ongoing series of reports from NBC5 Investigates
@nbcdfw

https://txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/b ... cement.pdf
Last summer on Long Island while in a parking lot we happened to be near a police car. As the officer got out to go get his lunch he remarked to us that it was nice to see our proper TX license plate. We asked why this was so. He explain that there were a large number of fake TX paper plates showing up in Long Island. That was the first we heard of this issue.
Geeze, people are going all across the country to get inferior Texas cars now? Can they really save enough to make it worth while?

When I lived in Tucson, some people I knew purposely went to Texas to buy cars because IIRC sales tax was less and vehicles in Texas could be cheaper because they didn't have the California pollution and safety features (Arizona got California spec vehicles). And I think they could drive on the temporary plates for six months or something before having to spring for an Arizona plate - unless they got stopped with an Arizona driver's license, in which case they needed to get an Arizona plate toot sweet.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:17 pmNeet!
:yeahthat:
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:09 pm Neat trick in today’s NYT crossword, no matter which franchise you think is the best sci-fi, the crossing words still work.
I enjoyed that too! :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Very cool.

Today just for S+G I clicked on a link on my hosting company website that said "SUPPORT CENTER" and it was hijacked, when I clicked on the link I was taken automagically to a competing hosting company which would like to offer me support instead of my own hosting company. In fact, they'd like to have me change hosting companies, to be honest. But how competent are they?

Well, one indication of the competence of the new hosting company is they offer you the option of logging in with Google Plus.

Umm, Google Plus was discontinued in 2019. There is no Google Plus. Sadly, Google Plus is pining for the fjords. It's an ex-Plus. Like this: x+

So maybe the new hosting company is good at unethical behavior, but not at keeping up with current events.

I'm on a chat, patiently waiting to explain all this to my hosting company. I'd like to know how they managed to get themselves hijacked, but we'll see ...
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:30 am My 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe has a lot of those nice safety feature, but I have to sometimes laugh on very cold days when I back out of my driveway. If it's cold enough, the exhaust from the tailpipe condenses as it comes out of the tailpipe and forms a cloud. My car starts beeping at me, informing me that I'm approaching a solid object.
Saw this on CNN and immediately thought of this conversation. Might want to check it out.
Hyundai and Kia tell owners of nearly 500,000 vehicles to park outside due to fire risk

(CNN)Hyundai and Kia are telling owners of almost 500,000 cars and SUVs in the United States to park outside and away from buildings due to a possible defect that can cause the vehicles to spontaneously catch fire even when not running.

The problem is that, due to "foreign contaminants," the anti-lock brake computer control module can short circuit and possibly start a fire in the engine compartment. Hyundai issued a recall for 2016-2018 model year Santa Fe SUVs, 2017-2018 Santa Fe Sport SUVs, 2019 Santa Fe XL models and 2014-2015 Tucson SUVs. Kia is recalling 2016-2018 K900 sedans and 2014-2016 Sportage SUVs. In total, Hyundai is recallng 357,830 vehicles while Kia is recalling 126,747.

Dealers will inspect the vehicles' anti-lock braking control module, a small computer system that controls the vehicle's emergency anti-lock braking system, and may replace it with a new one. Dealers will also replace a fuse that controls the electric current to the anti-lock braking control unit at no cost to owners. The new fuse will reduce the amount of power going into the module.
:snippity:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/08/business ... index.html
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
tek

Post by tek »

Off Topic
Dealers will inspect the vehicles' anti-lock braking control module, a small computer system that controls the vehicle's emergency anti-lock braking system, and may replace it with a new one. Dealers will also replace a fuse that controls the electric current to the anti-lock braking control unit at no cost to owners. The new fuse will reduce the amount of power going into the module.
Uh, right.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

tek wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:03 pm
Off Topic
Uh, right.
Off Topic
Poor wording but I read that as; "A faulty module was allowed to draw enough power to overheat and catch fire. The fuse should have failed first." So, apparently two issues. A fairly high occurrence of failed modules which begs the question of how many. And somebody screwed up the fuse spec.
John Adams
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Off Topic
Uh, right.
I'm guessing that what they really meant is that the new fuse has a lower capacity, thus limiting the current flowing into the module. With the higher rated fuse, if the module does short circuit, it can draw more power (current), increasing the chance of fire, before the fuse blows. A lower rated fuse will blow sooner, reducing the amount of power that CAN flow into the module.

That sentence is, at best, poorly worded. It was probably not written by an electrical engineer.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:12 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:30 am My 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe has a lot of those nice safety feature, but I have to sometimes laugh on very cold days when I back out of my driveway. If it's cold enough, the exhaust from the tailpipe condenses as it comes out of the tailpipe and forms a cloud. My car starts beeping at me, informing me that I'm approaching a solid object.
Saw this on CNN and immediately thought of this conversation. Might want to check it out.
Ok. I called my Hyundai dealer and they checked the recall list against my VIN and said I'm not on the list. But I'm super cautious so I found the Hyundai website where I could check that myself. Again, no problem. So I looked for a news article which might give a bit more information. The affected Santa Fe's do NOT have Smart Cruise Control. We got all the bells & whistles when we bought this vehicle, so I DO have Smart Cruise Control. Whew! No recall for me!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:11 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:12 pm
Ok. I called my Hyundai dealer and they checked the recall list against my VIN and said I'm not on the list. But I'm super cautious so I found the Hyundai website where I could check that myself. Again, no problem. So I looked for a news article which might give a bit more information. The affected Santa Fe's do NOT have Smart Cruise Control. We got all the bells & whistles when we bought this vehicle, so I DO have Smart Cruise Control. Whew! No recall for me!
You still can have Smart Control but not the specific faulty ABS module/fuse combo.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Space Force is a stupid and unoriginal name for our recent branch of the US military, but what do you expect from Zee Furher who has no imagination so I gots a better ideaz....

Mīles Asterum

I know, I know, straight up bad ass, no need to thank me... :thumbsup:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:01 pm
Off Topic
Uh, right.
Off Topic
Poor wording but I read that as; "A faulty module was allowed to draw enough power to overheat and catch fire. The fuse should have failed first." So, apparently two issues. A fairly high occurrence of failed modules which begs the question of how many. And somebody screwed up the fuse spec.
Off-topic in the "Hijack thread?" :confuzzled:
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Don't miss my post in the Poor Ol' Rooster thread, about how Tes was on our Virtual Meetup last night and YOU MISSED IT. :fingerwag:

Unless you were there, of course, in which case all is forgiven and you're all my witnesses in case it goes to trial. :lovestruck:
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:09 pm Neat trick in today’s NYT crossword, no matter which franchise you think is the best sci-fi, the crossing words still work.
Spiffy!

That had to take a lot of cleverness and work. Very nicely done!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

northland10 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:02 pm At my day job, we have a global communications team that localizes documents in our 8 languages and also works with our International Office teams to ensure the context is correct. We do this to avoid things like this instruction manual I am reading:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Return to “General Stuff”