Woodworking

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Slim Cognito »

Cool idea. Thanks Sugar!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Woodworking

Post by bill_g »

Slim - our local medical supply company sells a big assortment of canes including ornate models that would make 19th century gentlemen proud. Rather than ruin a pool cue, find a cane that is purpose built. YMMV of course.
sugar magnolia

Woodworking

Post by sugar magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:59 pm Cool idea. Thanks Sugar!
And of course, I forgot to put in a plug for your local handmade craftsmen. If there is a craft guild or woodworking group near by, you may find something you fall in love with. Our guild has gorgeous canes, walking sticks and hiking poles made by a master craftsman, so I suspect you could find something locally and support an independent small business person!
roadscholar

Woodworking

Post by roadscholar »

We used to have a world-famous pool cue maker in Towson (MD). I visited his shop a few times when he was selling off some exotics, and observed the process.

So I would just add that all but the cheapest cues are made really well. Tight straight grain, to withstand years of impacts.

So yeah, I too say cut off the small end and go for it.

P.S. Point well taken above: If it’s a real special gorgeous hand-made cue, better to just find a cane instead. If it’s sort of a B-grade item, well… there’s a whole lot of them in the world. Doesn’t strike me as blasphemous to cut one down. YMMV.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
sugar magnolia

Woodworking

Post by sugar magnolia »

roadscholar wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:42 pm We used to have a world-famous pool cue maker in Towson (MD). I visited his shop a few times when he was selling off some exotics, and observed the process.

So I would just add that all but the cheapest cues are made really well. Tight straight grain, to withstand years of impacts.
Usually rock maple, which is beautiful.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Slim Cognito »

It has some pretty inlay in it. We never played, Hubs got it when his brother died. I have no use for a cue and nobody bought it so I figure it's up for grabs. No rush but I think I'm going to look into it.

ImageImageImage x4
W. Kevin Vicklund

Woodworking

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Since it unscrews into three pieces, you could add a handle the screws in to the base, and still be able to turn it back into a cue. I love the idea! :daydreaming:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Shizzle Popped »

easy-cane-fastening-system__19524.jpg
easy-cane-fastening-system__19524.jpg (19.97 KiB) Viewed 772 times

https://treelineusa.com/walking-sticks- ... e-handles/

It's a bit of a longshot but if the threading on the cue matched up to the threading on the hanger bolt of one of the handle fastening systems then it might be as simple as screwing the adapter and a cane head on one end and a rubber tip on the other. They're probably not the same size and pitch of threads but stranger things have happened.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Woodworking

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

That's exactly what I had in mind, Shizzle. Should be able to find something that works.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Slim Cognito »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:38 pm easy-cane-fastening-system__19524.jpg

It's a bit of a longshot but if the threading on the cue matched up to the threading on the hanger bolt of one of the handle fastening systems then it might be as simple as screwing the adapter and a cane head on one end and a rubber tip on the other. They're probably not the same size and pitch of threads but stranger things have happened.
Bingo! Threads lined up perfectly!! Forced a chair leg rubber cap on the bottom and voila! I wish I'd stuck with a traditional derby handle. I got carried away with a cool brass fox with an extended tail that is pretty derby-ish in shape but too ornate considering the inlay on the cue. But now that I know the threads match up, I can order a second one from the same manufacturer. Using the cue where it unscrews makes it about one inch too short. There was a rubber bumper on the bottom but I removed it figuring it would make the cane unstable. I may make a spacer for it, but that's for another day. I have a package of four chair leg caps so it's no biggie if I ruin the one that's on there now.

ImageImageImage x4
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:06 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:38 pm easy-cane-fastening-system__19524.jpg

Bingo! Threads lined up perfectly!! Forced a chair leg rubber cap on the bottom and voila! I wish I'd stuck with a traditional derby handle. I got carried away with a cool brass fox with an extended tail that is pretty derby-ish in shape but too ornate considering the inlay on the cue. But now that I know the threads match up, I can order a second one from the same manufacturer. Using the cue where it unscrews makes it about one inch too short. There was a rubber bumper on the bottom but I removed it figuring it would make the cane unstable. I may make a spacer for it, but that's for another day. I have a package of four chair leg caps so it's no biggie if I ruin the one that's on there now.
That's awesome! Hey, a long shot actually paid off! :biggrin:
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Woodworking

Post by Foggy »

Great job, Slim. 8-) If'n you believe that stuff, I bet that made Big D smile. :daydreaming:
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”