The Great Writer & Actor Strike of 2023

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Todd Vaziri @tvaziri wrote: David Duchovny sued Fox because Fox sold "The X-Files" reruns to Fox-owned stations in a sweetheart deal (rather than on the open market), scamming him and other participants out of millions of dollars (they settled out of court). Studios will try to get away with everything.
The residuals are out there
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:biggrin:

(For the sign, not the strike. I'm still jonesing for some late-night Colbert.)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

CEO pay would cover the salary ask.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Great video!
Eleven Films @ElevenFilms wrote: It’s time for the greedy Hollywood studios to pay SAG-AFTRA and WGA members what they’re worth.

@latimes
@DEADLINE

#TheJigIsUp
#SAGAFTRAstrong
raison de arizona

BREAKING NEWS
HBO's ‘Real Time With Bill Maher’ To Return To Air "Sans Writers Or Writing"; WGA Says It Will Picket Show
HBO’s ‘Real Time With Bill Maher’ To Return To Air Without Writers
:snippity:
https://deadline.com/2023/09/writers-st ... 235546393/
raison de arizona

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:03 am
BREAKING NEWS
HBO's ‘Real Time With Bill Maher’ To Return To Air "Sans Writers Or Writing"; WGA Says It Will Picket Show
HBO’s ‘Real Time With Bill Maher’ To Return To Air Without Writers
:snippity:
https://deadline.com/2023/09/writers-st ... 235546393/
He changed his mind. The official line is that he is allowing the parties to negotiate, but the unofficial one is that Maher suddenly realized just how much the writers do and was effectively unable to come back.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

CNBC Now
@CNBCnow

BREAKING: Writers and producers are nearing an agreement to end the ongoing WGA strike, sources tell @davidfaber
David Faber
@davidfaber

After face to face meeting today, writers and producers near agreement to end WGA strike. Met today and hope to finalize deal tomorrow, according to people close to the negotiations, who, while optimistic, warn that without deal tomorrow strike likely continues through year end.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I sure hope the strike is over soon because I really miss Stephen Colbert's comments about what's going on in politics!
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Maher01.jpg
Maher01.jpg (126.31 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:02 pm I sure hope the strike is over soon because I really miss Stephen Colbert's comments about what's going on in politics!
Me too! Kimmel is good but Colbert is the master.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:52 am
MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:02 pm I sure hope the strike is over soon because I really miss Stephen Colbert's comments about what's going on in politics!
By the way, I noticed that Kimmel announced yesterday that he tested positive for Covid.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:53 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:52 am
By the way, I noticed that Kimmel announced yesterday that he tested positive for Covid.
and the LIVE STRIKE FORCE THREE in Vegas had to be cancelled
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The Hollywood Handle
@hollywoodhandle

The writers strike is not over yet.

Despite putting in a very long second day of direct talks, top CEOs, the AMPTP and the WGA did not close a deal tonight.

Both sides are willing to gather round the bargaining table, no further talks are officially scheduled.

(Via: Deadline)
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

DiscussingFilm (@DiscussingFilm)

Neil Gaiman says “this strike is about the importance of what we do, it’s about how much we deserve to be fairly compensated for what we do and about transparency rather than secrecy.”

“It’s about ensuring there is another generation of people able to do what we do.”
Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Deal done?

The Writers Guild of America and the major Hollywood studios have reached a tentative deal that would end a strike that has lasted more than 140 days, tossed thousands of people out of work and exposed deep anxiety over changes brought by technology, sources said Sunday.

The proposed three-year contract, which would still have to be ratified by the union’s 11,500 members, would boost pay rates and residual payments for streaming shows and impose new rules surrounding the use of artificial intelligence.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... eal-actors
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Woo-hoo! They're back!

Late Night Talk Shows Return: Fallon, Kimmel, Colbert, Meyers and Oliver Set Comebacks
TV’s late-night hosts plan to return to regular production as of Monday, October 2, ending a months-long pause in a national routine caused by Hollywood labor troubles.

Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers and Jimmy Kimmel intend to restart their programs on that date, with HBO’s John Oliver poised to offer a new broadcast of “Last Week Tonight” on HBO on Sunday October 1. The five hosts revealed their intentions via a social-media post on Wednesday, following an announcement by Bill Maher that he intended to offer a new broadcast of “Real Time” on HBO this Friday.

Some late-night plans remain unknown. Comedy Central, which had been relying on a series of guest hosts for its “Daily Show,” has yet to unveil a plan to relaunch that series. CBS is expected to announce a new entry to replace James Corden’s “Late Late Show” at 12:30 a.m.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”