"The State of New California" "The 51st State"

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

somerset wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:29 pm
Flatpoint High wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:38 am just not the refineries, but the Naval Shipyard and I think there is a sugar refinery in Benicia
There are no more shipyards in the Bay Area that service USN ships.
There is one upside to the closure of Mare Island Navel shipyard. Since it was no longer an active navel shipyard, the Mystbusters were able to rent out a drydock in order to build a giant Newton's Cradle, create a duct tape bridge, and use a super seesaw to launch a child simulaid 130 feet in the air.

I still giggle at the final launch.
101010 :towel:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Thanks for the corrections & updates. I grew up in Contra Costa County (Walnut Creek/Concord), and I remember Mare Island & the Concord Navel Weapons Station - including the dingus who lost his legs trying to stop a train.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Flatpoint High wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:59 pm Thanks for the corrections & updates. I grew up in Contra Costa County (Walnut Creek/Concord), and I remember Mare Island & the Concord Navel Weapons Station - including the dingus who lost his legs trying to stop a train.
Ah, home of the Walnut Creek CD-ROM. Good times. I had one of my first ones dating from back in the early 1990s until I cleaned house to join the Foreign Service.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

But the big question is: Were they seated in Congress? :lol:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

northland10 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:31 pm There is one upside to the closure of Mare Island Navel shipyard. Since it was no longer an active navel shipyard...
Huh, what? At the time it closed, my neighbor and several other people I knew worked there. I think my Dad retired before that, but he worked in the same office* as my neighbor, refueling nuclear submarines. Yeah, things had slowed down significantly by then.

With the several base closings and downsizing of Alameda NS, the resulting recession in the Bay Area caused me to have to sell my house in Napa as there was no work for a NICU nurse. People put off having babies. IVF, which resulted in multiples and preemies, all but dried up.

*When they weren't in radsuits on the sub.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Sequoia32 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:59 pm
northland10 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:31 pm There is one upside to the closure of Mare Island Navel shipyard. Since it was no longer an active navel shipyard...
Huh, what?
I apologize if you thought my comment meant it was good it closed so Mythbusters could use it. It was not intended that way but a flippant way to mention how the Mythbusters used it after its closing (and a fair amount of other former military installations for that matter as there were many in California). Obviously, a few episodes at various installations (or more than a few at Alameda) make it a good thing that the bases closed.

I'm sorry I worded that in a less-than-caring way.
101010 :towel:
somerset

Post by somerset »

northland10 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:27 pm
Huh, what?
I apologize if you thought my comment meant it was good it closed so Mythbusters could use it. It was not intended that way but a flippant way to mention how the Mythbusters used it after its closing (and a fair amount of other former military installations for that matter as there were many in California). Obviously, a few episodes at various installations (or more than a few at Alameda) make it a good thing that the bases closed.

On the upside, the old Alameda NAS is now home to some cool local companies, like St George's Spirits :thumbsup:

https://stgeorgespirits.com/
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

northland10 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:27 pm
Huh, what?

Hey, it's okay. How were you to know what happened to me and many others when the bases closed. No apology needed.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

somerset wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:16 pm
On the upside, the old Alameda NAS is now home to some cool local companies, like St George's Spirits :thumbsup:
Hamilton in Marin Co. was turned into much needed housing. Most people here were for cutting back on the military as there seemed no need for all of it . . . Until Bush Jr. Got us into a never ending war.

But what a recession it caused in the Bay Area.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My brother and his family lived there. There was lots of open space, cool old war outbuildings and landing strips, and a public Waldorf School.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:24 pm My brother and his family lived there. There was lots of open space, cool old war outbuildings and landing strips, and a public Waldorf School.
Izzat where you go to learn how to make salads?

I always wondered about that.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I heard Astoria bout that.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Sooo ... what happened to the plans for The Great State of Jefferson (that has been floating around since 1875 or so ...)? It included the northern third of CA, and several southern counties in OR (essentially the Rogue River Valley).

Return to “Current Politics”