Joe Biden Gets Lucky Again!

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Joe Biden Gets Lucky Again!

Post by raison de arizona »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:09 pm
Estiveo wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:54 pm For those who haven't seen it...

https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/st ... 6063469576
I wonder if that was some kind of a set up or something - publicity stunt, or if Will Smith is just really that much of an asshole. I get he was defending his wife, but that doesn't excuse it.
On the radio this morning they said that Chris Rock had made some joke about her not attending an event a few years back that offended Will Smith, and that it may have been likely that Smith was just waiting for Rock to make any reference to her at all at this point.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:09 pmI wonder if that was some kind of a set up or something - publicity stunt, or if Will Smith is just really that much of an asshole.
Unsurprisingly, there are people out there saying it was staged (e.g., Rock doesn't flinch and appears to be bracing; Smith used an open hand and not a fist; etc.).

But they both swore on a live broadcast (which was censored in the United States), which seems contrary to a planned bit, i.e., if they had planned to exchange words, they also would have planned to exchange PG words.
Edit: Type-O.
Image ImageImage
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:13 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:09 pm I wonder if that was some kind of a set up or something - publicity stunt, or if Will Smith is just really that much of an asshole. I get he was defending his wife, but that doesn't excuse it.
Since Chris Rock has made a joke about Will Smith's wife in the past, no, this was no publicity stunt between the two men.
Thanks
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bob wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:15 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:09 pmI wonder if that was some kind of a set up or something - publicity stunt, or if Will Smith is just really that much of an asshole.
Unsurprisingly, there are people out there saying it was staged (e.g., Rock doesn't flinch and appears to be bracing; Smith used an open hand and not a fist; etc.).

But they both swore on a live broadcast (which was censored in the United States), which seems contrary to a planned bit, i.e., if they had planned to exchange words, they would also would have planned to exchange PG words.
Good point. Thanks!
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Smith is a bit of an asshole too. Wonderful charismatic actor, but an asshole and an egomaniac nonetheless.
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Rock has made several jokes about Jada, from what I’ve read. There’s been bad blood for a few years. What do you do after you’ve asked for it to stop and it doesn’t? This public alpha display isn’t the way.

No, first ya gotta throw your shoes at him from your seat and hurl an insult or two.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

One thing I noticed is that, when the camera cut to Smith immediately after Rock's joke, Smith was smiling and chuckling. The next camera cut was Smith walking on stage and taking a swing at Rock.

It was also not clear to me if Smith actually landed the punch. Rock clearly leaned back, away from the punch, so Smith might have missed. If he did land it, it didn't have much power. Even a light punch with that big of a swing should have made Rock's head turn or made him stagger backwards.
realist

Post by realist »

! Message from: realist

Can we please get back to Biden in this thread. If you'd like to continue to talk about Chris and Will, go to an appropriate forum or start another thread, please.
Thank you.
Image X 4
Image X 32
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:11 pm
realist wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:58 pm [ mod=realist]Re: Joe Biden Gets Lucky Again!

Can we please get back to Biden in this thread. If you'd like to continue to talk about Chris and Will, go to an appropriate forum or start another thread, please.[/mod]

Thank you.
Normally I'd be with you, but the fact that this is in the "U.S. Culture and Media" forum, and "Gets Lucky Again" in the title directly references Smith punching Rock and changing the topic for Biden...
:yeahthat:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Off Topic
That’s where parameters could help. Thread titles can be too long, too cute, and even irrelevant. If I’m searching for the Joe Biden topic, this one is going to come up, which is not user friendly.
realist

Post by realist »

! Message from: realist
I didn't see the first post in the topic, so ... carry on. My bad. :oopsy:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

“I don’t see what’s so bad about sax and violins, they’re beautiful instruments…what’s that? Oh, sex and violence? Oh, that is bad.

Never mind.”
filly

Post by filly »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:29 pm
Off Topic
That’s where parameters could help. Thread titles can be too long, too cute, and even irrelevant. If I’m searching for the Joe Biden topic, this one is going to come up, which is not user friendly.
Oh, Chillax! Note the forum it's in if the filing system is a big thing.
filly

Post by filly »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:25 pm Rock has made several jokes about Jada, from what I’ve read. There’s been bad blood for a few years. What do you do after you’ve asked for it to stop and it doesn’t? This public alpha display isn’t the way.

No, first ya gotta throw your shoes at him from your seat and hurl an insult or two.
Yeah, a comedian hired by the Academy to tell jokes about what's going on that night. So out of line. Many think the GI Jane reference was in poor taste. I get that. But there's no both sides argument to be made here. The Smiths have put their lives out there for public consumption (open marriage, Scientology etc.) and make lots of money from the resultant publicity. Responding to your hurt feelings with violence then profane screaming on international TV is certainly not something I condone.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

filly wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:49 pm Yeah, a comedian hired by the Academy to tell jokes about what's going on that night. So out of line. Many think the GI Jane reference was in poor taste. I get that. But there's no both sides argument to be made here. The Smiths have put their lives out there for public consumption (open marriage, Scientology etc.) and make lots of money from the resultant publicity. Responding to your hurt feelings with violence then profane screaming on international TV is certainly not something I condone.
:yeahthat: x 1,000
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

filly wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:40 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:29 pm
Off Topic
Oh, Chillax! Note the forum it's in if the filing system is a big thing.
Chillax? A modest suggestion doesn’t deserve that kind of scolding. I’m calm and relaxed. And done, I guess.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:02 pm
filly wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:40 pm Oh, Chillax! Note the forum it's in if the filing system is a big thing.
Chillax? A modest suggestion doesn’t deserve that kind of scolding. I’m calm and relaxed. And done, I guess.
Everyone is kind of stressed these days. If you are snapping at people, its time to step back and disconnect from all this for a day or two.

Yes, it's me saying it.
Hic sunt dracones
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Suranis wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:12 pm
Yes, it's me saying it.
:faint: :bighug:
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Will may be in trouble… have to move in with his aunt and uncle or something…
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

He slapped another guy (maybe Louis Theroux) some years ago. For whatever reason the guy walked up to him on the red carpet and tried to kiss him.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

From Will Smith's Instagram account this afternoon -
Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally.

I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.

I would also like to apologize to the Academy, the producers of the show, all the attendees and everyone watching around the world. I would like to apologize to the Williams Family and my King Richard Family. I deeply regret that my behavior has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us.

I am a work in progress.

Sincerely,

Will
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:12 pm
Chilidog wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:15 am he said that Jada was going to be in the next edition of GI Jane.

because 1) she was wearing an olive green dress
2) she has alopecia and is frankly bald.
Ok, I can understand Will`s anger a bit better, but its still not an excuse for punching someone like that. Rock was being an asshole, too, though, making fun of someone's disability like that.
Except it is NOT a disability in any shape or form. It is a condition that she is sensitive about. I dont think she has a need to be sensitive about it, but I am not the one living with it.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

keith wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:08 am Except it is NOT a disability in any shape or form. It is a condition that she is sensitive about. I dont think she has a need to be sensitive about it, but I am not the one living with it.
Fair enough. I just couldn't think of a better term at the moment, and I'm sorry if I upset or offended anyone.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

My husband told me earlier that under the new Code of Conduct the Academy instituted in response to "Me Too," they are looking into possibly taking Smith's Oscar back. I find I don't have a problem with that, though I think they should also bar Rock from hosting again.

Sorry, I don't have a link - he just mentioned it in passing.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”