Back to the movie theaters ...

John Thomas8

Re: Back to the movie theaters ...

Post by John Thomas8 »

Ok, Ghostbusters: Afterlife is just a cute little movie. NO SPOILERS: go see it and be entertained.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:44 am I am going to say this about Dune:

I have seen better movies, but it is a good movie. The thing that hits me, the day after, is that I think it's the movie Frank Herbert had in his head when he wrote the book. He died long before the CGI tech existed that they used to create Arrakis. But it was true to the book, in ways big and small.

I read the book when it came out. I was 12, and it was an amazing book, for a 12 year old. I'm not 12 anymore - OK, some days, maybe :biggrin: - but I have read it a few times, and that is the world I envision, except for the funny hats on the Bene Gesserit.
Thank you.

I am emmensly relieved. I am so traumatized by that David Lynch abomination that must have been based on some bastardized fake Dune ripoff, that I wasn't sure that it could actually be made in anything resembling a good movie.

I don't expect the film to be the masterpiece that the book is, just some acknowledgement that the book exists and has a well thought out universe with history. I expect Caladan to be a planet somebody actually would want to live on (and thus the Atreides would be hesitant to leave). I expect the characters to resemble the characters in the book with similar motivations. I expect the plot and themes to approximate the book. Is that too much to ask?

I admit I was extremely heartened by the trailer, and your review gives me hope.

My neice has us booked into IMAX next week.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:28 am Yeah, but nobody TOLD me. :violin: :crying:
You were lucky.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith

Post by keith »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:31 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:24 am Ya know, there is NO way Dune could be done well in one film. Didn't they try in the 80's?
David Lynch did one in 1984. Max Von Sydow, Sting and Patrick Stewart among the cast.
That abomination was called "Dune" but it didn't have anything what-so-ever to do with the book. I maintain it was based not on Frank Herbert's "Dune", but on some ripoff probably written by L. Ron Hubbard.
keith

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:07 am 'Course, I had a lot of the original Marvel comic books. My alcoholic mother burned them in the fireplace. :nope:
Me too. I had 4 years worth of subscriptions to every 'sci-fi adventure' comic they published (so not the girlies or the westerns or the war ones - though I did have a couple of Sgt. Fury before he moved over to S.H.I.E.L.D). I had all the Spidey's that now go for big bucks, Fantastic Four, Doctor Strange, X-Men, etc, etc.

My Dad threw them into the trash one week before I came by the house to pick them up.
keith

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:37 am I saw it with someone who hadn't read the book. I spent the entire movie answering questions. The production was good and followed the book closely. Kyle Maclachlan was in it too.
Them's fightin' words, mate.
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

There was a 2000 TV miniseries (I think from the BBC) of DUNE starring William Hurt as Duke Leto. It was quite good.

There were about three editions of the 1984 film - the original theatrical version, a longer (slightly) version, and a director's cut. They could be distinguished by the opening; the original had crayon drawings of some historic war with computers, the longer version had Virginia Madsen give a short summary of the situation at the beginning of the story, I think the director's cut eliminated both of those.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

keith wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:37 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:37 am I saw it with someone who hadn't read the book. I spent the entire movie answering questions. The production was good and followed the book closely. Kyle Maclachlan was in it too.
Are these the fightin' words?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Fortinbras wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:01 am There was a 2000 TV miniseries (I think from the BBC) of DUNE starring William Hurt as Duke Leto. It was quite good.

:snippity:
The SciFi channel, but it was filmed on the world's largest sound stage in the UK.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
keith

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:34 pm
keith wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:37 am
Yep
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I saw Dune today, and I pretty much agree with everything Foggy said.

I hope it does well enough that Part II gets made.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

keith wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:37 pm
[/quote]

Yep
[/quote]

I don't think so sir.

I'm Third Grandma's Champion...

May thy knife chip and shatter... :boxing:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

That's my boy! :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:57 am If you're going to watch the upcoming Spider Man movie (release date 17 Dec 21), ya gotta see Venom: Let There Be Carnage.
I learned that's a sequel; the original Venom was released in 2018. So I rented the first one for $3.99 and then will try to see Carnage this week. First one's pretty fun, too also.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:21 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:57 am If you're going to watch the upcoming Spider Man movie (release date 17 Dec 21), ya gotta see Venom: Let There Be Carnage.
I learned that's a sequel; the original Venom was released in 2018. So I rented the first one for $3.99 and then will try to see Carnage this week. First one's pretty fun, too also.
That Venom character is funny. And Woody Harrelson in the Carnage move is an excellent villan.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

A list of The Guardian's choice of the 50 best US movies of 2021.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/n ... -in-the-us

I haven't heard of many of them. I think the only one I saw was The Humans, but I want to see The Lost Daughter, which I think premiers on Netflix on December 31.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “General Stuff”