Assault on the Capitol (DC)

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by RTH10260 »

I wonder how they thought that would happen. The VP does not just get into any waiting car. He has his own transport operated by the Secret Service, inluding a number of body guards and a military guy who follows him with a standby copy of the atomic football.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

only your regular tourist to D.C.
MAGA rioter's lawyer says he didn't plan to take part in violence despite wearing tactical gear to Capitol

Brad Reed
October 25, 2021

An attorney representing alleged MAGA rioter Jeff McKellop is arguing that their client did not plan to take part in violence at the United States Capitol building even though he wore tactical gear to the riot that included a gas mask.

As reported by NBC 4 Washington's Scott MacFarlane, McKellop's lawyer is claiming that "there is no evidence of prior planning, and although Mr. McKellop wore tactical gear, which he otherwise used in the performance of his job as a security contractor, he did not bring a firearm, bladed weapons."

McKellop, a former member of the United States Special Forces, was captured on camera assaulting police, first by trying to disarm them of their riot control spray, then by throwing a flag pole at an officer who suffered a facial laceration as a result.

MacFarlane also reports that McKellop's lawyer, in addition to arguing that their client did not come to the riot to commit acts of violence, also detailed how emotionally distressed he has been after being arrested and held in detention for several months.

https://www.rawstory.com/capitol-riot-court-hearing/
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:00 am only your regular tourist to D.C.
MAGA rioter's lawyer says he didn't plan to take part in violence despite wearing tactical gear to Capitol
McKellop's lawyer, in addition to arguing that their client did not come to the riot to commit acts of violence, also detailed how emotionally distressed he has been after being arrested and held in detention for several months.
:o :crying: oh, the poor baby! the inhumanity! his poor fee-fees! free him now! award him compensation! :violin:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:54 am
McKellop's lawyer, in addition to arguing that their client did not come to the riot to commit acts of violence, also detailed how emotionally distressed he has been after being arrested and held in detention for several months.
:o :crying: oh, the poor baby! the inhumanity! his poor fee-fees! free him now! award him compensation! :violin:
This is when we need a GOFUCKYOU page to donate to. Or not. Not sure how it would work.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The GOFUCKYOU page could be the alter ego of the Fogbow donation page with a minimum donation. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That is a great article, I finally had time to read it. I have long suspected that the non-response and preventing Capitol police from having the weapons and shields they needed to respond to a possible riot was a feature rather than a bug. I still think that is the case.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

An interesting video (tweet) from Scott MacFarland about the noose from the J6 insurrection and how it ended up in the FBI's possession.

May the bridges I burn light my way.

ImageImageImage x5
Jim

Post by Jim »

bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:00 am This is when we need a GOFUCKYOU page to donate to. Or not. Not sure how it would work.
The insurrectionists pay we the people for the honor of not hanging them for treason.
bob

Post by bob »

The prosecutor is seeking only 60 days, so maybe she was essentially correct?
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:00 am
Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:54 am

This is when we need a GOFUCKYOU page to donate to. Or not. Not sure how it would work.
Like the non-wingnut equivalent of "Let's Go, Brandon", we could simply call it "GoFundYourself". With an edited middle finger as the logo.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

:like:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:37 pm Like the non-wingnut equivalent of "Let's Go, Brandon", we could simply call it "GoFundYourself". With an edited middle finger as the logo.
Nice!!! :thumbsup:

So one clicks a button on the GoFundYourself website to indicate that the non-contributor wishes to avoid contributing $5, $10, $100, whatever, and that the poor victim should find that money him/herself. I could be quite generous.

Could the putative grifter then be charged with fraud a few months later if s/he failied to obtain the indicated funds?
Tiredretiredlawyer

Jenna Ryan gets sentenced on Thursday at 10:00 a.m. Does she go to jail even though she is white? Fogbowsers want to know!
:popcorn: :waiting:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Court hearing set for 11am in case of accused Proud Boys Zach Rehl, Ethan Nordean, et al. They've pleaded NOT GUILTY.

Feds allege Rehl sent text message at 2:29pm on Jan 6 saying "Civil War Started"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:49 am Jenna Ryan gets sentenced on Thursday at 10:00 a.m. Does she go to jail even though she is white? Fogbowsers want to know!
Isn't she the one who said she won't see jail because she's white, blonde and has a job? She deserves jail just for that.

I saw an article in which she tries to explain that, as a realtor, she has to talk positively about herself to sell herself to customers.

Yes, I know how that sounded. I don't care.
May the bridges I burn light my way.

ImageImageImage x5
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:21 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:49 am Jenna Ryan gets sentenced on Thursday at 10:00 a.m. Does she go to jail even though she is white? Fogbowsers want to know!
Isn't she the one who said she won't see jail because she's white, blonde and has a job? She deserves jail just for that.

I saw an article in which she tries to explain that, as a realtor, she has to talk positively about herself to sell herself to customers.

Yes, I know how that sounded. I don't care.
Yeah, I think I've seen enough to know how her sentencing is going to go. The prosecution will drone on and on about how serious the crimes were committed on that day. Then someone will mention the plea deal for an extremely low level misdemeanor she pleaded to, and the judge will get exasperated and give her probation. She will walk away and continue to spew and promote violence because she got away with it.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Sentence her to two years without interwebs.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Just another tourist...
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

I'm almost certain that I have never in my life seen a legal brief of any kind containing the phrase "As one may assume ... " followed by a statement of facts the attorney has no intention of proving with evidence. But, y'know, judge. You can just assume what I'm saying is true, amirite? :doh:

Not that you should have evidence to show marginally relevant facts, but you just don't ask a judge to "assume" anything. I would have just said "Millions of people agree with her" and avoiding assuming anything at all.

Just an odd choice of words there. :whistle:
tek

Post by tek »

"many people are saying"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW: Joshua Portlock — aka #proudboycowboy — has been arrested in Tennessee.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

ON THE ROAD: Jan 6 cases are keeping the FBI agents in upstate New York very busy. My latest reporting ===>
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/do ... ar-AAQhQmS
DOJ seeks toughest Jan. 6 sentence yet for ex-MMA fighter who punched cop

Federal prosecutors are seeking their stiffest sentence yet in a case stemming from the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, recommending 44 months in jail for Scott Fairlamb, a former MMA fighter who was filmed punching a police officer in the head after breaching the building.

Fairlamb, a Trump supporter and brother of a Secret Service agent, pleaded guilty in August to two charges: obstructing Congress’ effort to certify the 2020 election and assaulting a police officer. He’s the first of more than 100 defendants charged with assaulting and impeding police officers to face sentencing, and his case is likely to become a benchmark for the others.

Prosecutors say Fairlamb was one of the first rioters to breach the Capitol, entering a Senate wing door shortly after an adjacent window was shattered by a rioter wielding a stolen police shield. Fairlamb was carrying a police baton he picked up shortly after rioters beat back an exterior police line.

“Fairlamb, a former Mixed Martial Arts fighter, joined the storming of the police line on the West Terrace, obtaining a police baton and screaming ‘What Patriots do? We fuckin’ disarm them and then we storm the fuckin’ Capitol!’” prosecutors said in their sentencing memo. “After exiting the U.S. Capitol, Fairlamb aggressively followed a line of dramatically out-numbered Metropolitan Police Department officers, screaming vitriol at them as they attempted to traverse the over-run Terrace.”

“After isolating an MPD officer from his fellow officers, Fairlamb shoved the officer and then punched his face shield,” prosecutors added.
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

The blond white lady arriving at court for her sentencing. Hoping she gets the maximum.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Seems like she really regrets her actions :sarcasm:

Some crumbs from the hearing here:

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”