Weather Alerts

Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Will all our Floridians please check in and let us know you're safe, sounds like a wild storm is coming soon. Hope the reporters get to higher ground soon. Yeah, I know they've been doing this for decades, but I still worry.

Meanwhile in Seattle, it was just a light drizzle when I left work and decided to stop at the store. Couple of thunder booms, but that's all. 15 minutes later I'm checked out and ready to head out to the car and it was pouring like crazy, I was soaked from head to toe. SOAKED! Peeps were standing in the entryway just staring at the deluge in total shock.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

It looks like we lucked out in SWFL. We had some storms move through but nothing violent and it should be past our latitude in a couple more hours.
May the bridges I burn light my way.

ImageImageImage x5
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Weather Alerts

Post by Luke »

This is grim. Unlike South Florida, building codes aren't nearly as strict up north. Hope folks heeded the warnings and evacuated, at least it's easier to get away up north. Catturd is up that way and didn't evacuate. Did anybody try calling Carl Gallups?

Idalia expected to slam into Florida as a dangerous Category 4 hurricane

4 Hurricane.JPG
4 Hurricane.JPG (56.51 KiB) Viewed 21633 times

4B.JPG
4B.JPG (64.85 KiB) Viewed 21633 times

One of many live YouTube streams.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:34 am This is grim. Unlike South Florida, building codes aren't nearly as strict up north. Hope folks heeded the warnings and evacuated,
LOLLOL. No didn't happen. Very few ever listen.

If the storm wipes out the panhandle, maybe that is a good start? :shrug:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

eyewall making landfall
RVInit

Weather Alerts

Post by RVInit »

Mom and I lucked out as well. The storm went past us. We have a nice breeze and light rain, but we didn't get much of anything other than breeze and rain. I feel awful for the North Florida folks, they are getting it bad, and, as already been said, aren't generally as fortified.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
neonzx

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Likewise. The storm decided to skip/spare south Florida (this time). We only got the outer bands of it which were brisk winds and bunch of rain.
roadscholar

Weather Alerts

Post by roadscholar »

The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

The Guardian live updating article
Hurricane Idalia: warning of ‘catastrophic’ storm surge after hurricane makes landfall in Florida – live

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... ws-updates
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Weather Alerts

Post by Luke »

They got lucky (if that can even be said) because 1) the storm was moving at a pretty fast clip (around 13-15mph, when they slow down to 5mph or less the flooding is even worse) and 2) Even with the record breaking warm water, it appears to have landed as a Cat3 instead of Cat4. Cat3 is still ferocious. but Cat4 wind is orders of magnitude higher. They'll be analyzing this for a while to determine what Cat it landed at. For Wilma, after research the hurricane was upgraded to a higher Cat. The storm surge is still going to be deadly and while I know what Neon means, anybody in an Evacuation Zone A who isn't heeding the warnings is playing Russian roulette.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

I was switching channels a bit to see the different media coverage. I had to LOL at Fox & Friends three hosts, they were struggling going off the cuff asking their on scene reporters intelligent, helpful questions vs. their usual scripted by staff nonsense they're used to. :cantlook:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Hurricane Idalia could become 2023’s costliest climate disaster for the US
Analysts estimate the category 3 storm has already racked up a preliminary cost of $9.36bn, straining the insurance industry

Richard Luscombe in Miami
Thu 31 Aug 2023 13.37 BST

Hurricane Idalia could become the costliest climate disaster to hit the US this year, analysts say, with massive implications for insurance and risk management industries.

The category 3 storm that barreled into Florida’s west coast from the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday, then carved a path of destruction and flooding through Georgia and the Carolinas, has a preliminary price tag between $9.36bn, based on early estimates, from risk analysts at UBS, and $18bn-$20bn calculated by AccuWeather.

It follows 15 previous “individual weather and climate disasters” recorded in the US already this year by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa) as unprecedented heat, wildfires, storms and floods escalate.

Cumulatively, Noaa said that by the end of July, which Nasa said was Earth’s hottest month on record, the total estimated cost of the damage caused by the disasters was $39.7bn. That figure does not include the estimated $5.5bn cost to rebuild the town of Lahaina following devastating wildfires that razed the Hawaii island of Maui this month.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... da-georgia
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

When they get up to V they should use Vidalia, as in vidalia onion vinaigrette. Or Volkonski, that works for me. ;)
neonzx

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Costliest ever?

Are they using inflation adjusted numbers or simply tossing out current day $ figures? (yeah, money is worth less year over year).

Katrina may want to have a word in on this.
Estiveo
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Estiveo »

2023's costliest.
Image Image Image Image
neonzx

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:12 am 2023's costliest.
Ok, hard numbers in todays dollars. Not adjusted for inflation over time. I get sick of people complaining about what things costs today vs. 1970 when you could get a tricked out Chevy for $3,000. It is not 1970.
Estiveo
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Estiveo »

Well, yeah they're using today's numbers because they're not comparing it to anything in past years. They're talking about climate disasters that happened this year.

They're comparing apples to apples and you're waving around a bag of clementines past their sell by date.
Image Image Image Image
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

neonzx wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:39 am
Ok, hard numbers in todays dollars. Not adjusted for inflation over time. I get sick of people complaining about what things costs today vs. 1970 when you could get a tricked out Chevy for $3,000. It is not 1970.
I agree.

We went to a car show last weekend. Dude had a 67 Mustang. He was the original owner. Had the sticker as well as the financing docs - cost was about $2.7K. But he said that keeping that car in mint condition over the last 56 years has cost him way more than the price of a new one today.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

In the headline.
realist

Weather Alerts

Post by realist »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:04 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:39 am
I agree.

We went to a car show last weekend. Dude had a 67 Mustang. He was the original owner. Had the sticker as well as the financing docs - cost was about $2.7K. But he said that keeping that car in mint condition over the last 56 years has cost him way more than the price of a new one today.
Identical to my first car, which cost me $1,587 off the showroom floor.
This one for sale for $35k and it doesn't look like it's in tip-top condition. I saw one a week or so ago for 89k and change.

https://photos.classiccars.com/cc-temp/ ... -thumb.jpg
Image X 4
Image X 33
tek

Weather Alerts

Post by tek »

Off Topic
hm, interesting..
I did the math on my Dad's 1969 Chrysler Town and Country station wagon. "the most expensive station wagon of 1969"
https://blog.consumerguide.com/the-5-mo ... s-of-1969/

He ordered it from the factory and paid $4400 for it brand new (he was a good friend of the dealer, natch), which works out to about $39K today.
Which is not a lot for a car today.
Of course, it did not have power windows, power seats, air conditioning, antilock brakes, cruise control....
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/01/politics ... index.html
A spokesperson for Gov. Ron DeSantis said Friday that there are no plans for the Republican to meet with President Joe Biden when he travels to Florida on Saturday, contradicting comments Biden made earlier in the day indicating they would.

“We don’t have any plans for the Governor to meet with the President tomorrow,” DeSantis spokesperson Jeremy Redfern told CNN Friday. “In these rural communities, and so soon after impact, the security preparations alone that would go into setting up such a meeting would shut down ongoing recovery efforts.”

Biden had told CNN earlier Friday that “yes,” he did plan to meet with the Florida governor while surveying damage from Hurricane Idalia in the state over the weekend.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Weather Alerts

Post by poplove »

Thunderstorms in Las Vegas since early this morning. There's flooding everywhere and the fire departments are busy with water rescues. Hurricane Hilary is two weeks late!
All road construction is canceled
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

:shock:

:eek:

:o:

I say, wait a goldurned minnit hear, it is not autumn yet, the equinox isn't until the 23rd!

But yesterday there was a little chill in the air when ol' Wifehorn and I went strolling.

And just now a noisy flock of Canuckistani Geese went motoring over mah house, honkin' and flappin' and ... and you know how they get.

Fall is upon me, and I missed the summer this year! :oldman: :violin: :crying:
neonzx

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

poplove wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:10 am Thunderstorms in Las Vegas since early this morning. There's flooding everywhere and the fire departments are busy with water rescues. Hurricane Hilary is two weeks late!
All road construction is canceled
Because no storm drains/sewers. Nothern/midwesterners take such for granted. But out there, they don't get enough water/rain to justify the cost.

The movie "IT" (stephen king) is also a mystery to them. They all FLOAT down here. 8-)

Return to “General Stuff”