keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

Suranis wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:19 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:00 am
Warning of unprecedented heatwaves as El Niño set to return in 2023
Scientists say phenomenon coupled with growing climate crisis likely to push global temperatures ‘off the chart’
:snippity:
The return of the El Niño climate phenomenon later this year will cause global temperatures to rise “off the chart” and deliver unprecedented heatwaves, scientists have warned.
:snippity:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-crisis
Just thought I would reference this post from back in page 72.
Estiveo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:19 pm Get over yourself.
I don't know which of you two is having a snipe at the other.

RTH's post is, in fact, rather overly optimistic, in my opinion, because the heat did come in 2023, it didn't wait for 2024. But you know, its still likely to get even worse in 24, because the El Nino hasn't really taken hold yet.

This article is from the Aussie point of view as we are approaching spring and bracing for a sweltering summer. Our summer is going to catch the full brunt of the El Nino.

Here’s why we can expect a steep climb in global temperature this year and next
Now, in 2023, all kinds of records are being broken. The highest daily temperatures ever recorded globally occurred in early July, alongside the largest sea surface temperature anomaly ever.

June had its highest global mean surface temperature, according to preliminary analysis. The extent of Antarctica's sea ice has been at a record low. Meanwhile, atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations continue to increase at rates that show no sign of slowing.
We can expect 2023 to emerge as the warmest year to date. But sea-surface temperatures during El Niño events tend to peak about December and have the greatest influences in the subsequent two months. That sets the stage for 2024 jumping up the staircase to the next level, perhaps to 1.4℃ above pre-industrial levels, with likely daily incursions over 1.5℃.
Antarctic sea ice 'should' be increasing, not decreasing. Why? Because as more ice melts from the ice pack dumping more water into the ocean, the surrounding waters gets less salty and therefore freezes more easily. But it isn't happening - so the ocean temperature is already too warm for the fresh water to have the expected impact.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Estiveo
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Estiveo »

I was responding to Neon. I don't see Suranis' posts unless someone quotes him, so if he thinks I was responding to him, he can get over himself too, also.
Image Image Image Image
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:52 am I was responding to Neon. I don't see Suranis' posts unless someone quotes him, so if he thinks I was responding to him, he can get over himself too, also.
That's cool. Maybe you could quote a little bit or name the target of your shots? Prevents confusion like that.

Your post appeared directly under Suranis, so it looked like you were talking to him. Even Suranis thought you were talking to him and responded back (which had the added benefit of Suranis explaining the point of his post, which was not obvious).
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Estiveo
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Estiveo »

Yeah, well, due to the intermittent site wonkyness, it took me a couple tries before my post took, and I didn't notice Suranis had slipped a post in whilst I was doing the same. That's why the time stamps on our posts are identical, I guess.

But thank you for the helpful advice on how to post; I'm sure I'll figure out how all this works someday.
Image Image Image Image
Suranis

Weather Alerts

Post by Suranis »

Off Topic
And if he has me blocked, he can see my posts only if he chooses to open them.

But He can see that I HAVE posted, and there is an option to open the post. So, he would have to had to make an effort to see it. No-one had a chance to quote it since his was the next post, so he couldn't have seen it via someone else. Which makes his statement nonsensical. And might indicate he does not actually have me blocked as he it suggests he does not know what blocking someone looks like.

Ok, he was just lying. He probably also misread who posted it originally and thought I posted the original post in page 72. Which, I didn't.

So, Esteveo, grow up. You are smarter than that kind of stupid lie. A baby could see through that. If you are lying in an obvious stupid way to get Male Alpha points back, you are acting exactly like Trump does.

And, of course, I didn't start this. All I did was repeat a post that I thought was prophetic. Yeesh :roll:
I saw some flooding pictures from California yesterday on the news. I saw someone saying its possible the storm might dump a lot of rain on Death Valley, which would honestly be kind of exciting to me at least.

hell of a way for California to get some rain though
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Weather Alerts

Post by Suranis »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:52 am I was responding to Neon. I don't see Suranis' posts unless someone quotes him, so if he thinks I was responding to him, he can get over himself too, also.
Bullshit. Sorry. And, again, you CAN see that I have posted. Again, grow up.

And, frankly if you WERE responding to Neo's post with that comment, then you REALLY need to grow up. Nothing he said warranted that response.
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Phoenix520 »

:thor: Do NOT make me come over there and give each of you a spanking.
ENOUGH BICKERING
Suranis

Weather Alerts

Post by Suranis »

A spanking? Promises promises. :cry:
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:04 am :thor: Do NOT make me come over there and give each of you a spanking.
ENOUGH BICKERING
:yeahthat:
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
busterbunker

Weather Alerts

Post by busterbunker »

Hey look - it's a squirrel!

You shouldn't make fun of anyone else unless you can make fun of yourself. Humor is one of the highest forms of human communication; self-deprecation is one of the highest forms of humor.

I've yelled at my share of clouds, they're often fucking up my photo. Well, kinda, not really, there's no point yelling about the weather.

The plural of anecdote is not evidence. Same with weather and climate. Weathermen get paid whether they're wrong or right, it's up to you to know which way the wind blows. Weather is dumb - our planet is dumb - it does what it wants to do. I got no quarrel with nature, it never called me human.

Fer chrissakes, CA got lucky this time around, let's count our blessings. This state was shaped by far greater cataclysm. I think this whole cafeteria beef started with a 5.1? Yeah, that's kinda puny.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Off Topic
Sorry, Suranis, that you were misidentified as his target.

I saw it and had decided to not respond as no reason. He spanked me with the coveted fpoon.

See, I can still be kinda funny -- get over myself haz since my late 20s.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Just got hit by a thunderstorm that repeatedly shook the house, enough to knock some tea tins off the shelves. Good thing I have a UPS for our gaming system; Dr. Zanna was playing Tears of the Kingdom when we had several momentary power blips.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Supposed to be heading here.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

And now that it has passed, we got a severe Thunderstorm Warning notification from Alexa.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:07 pm ...Good thing I have a UPS for our gaming system; Dr. Zanna was playing Tears of the Kingdom when we had several momentary power blips.
Off Topic
loved that game.
May the bridges I burn light my way.

ImageImageImage x5
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:10 pm And now that it has passed, we got a severe Thunderstorm Warning notification from Alexa.
So, um, that was just the vanguard. We've got 80 mph winds bearing down on us in a few minutes, according to the weather service. Tornado about 75ish miles away.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Off Topic
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:11 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:07 pm ...Good thing I have a UPS for our gaming system; Dr. Zanna was playing Tears of the Kingdom when we had several momentary power blips.
Off Topic
loved that game.
It was released within a few days of our anniversary. I took the day off so we could play it, but came down with Covid the day before. Now we're trying to finish it so we can play the new Final Fantasy.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Tornado sirens
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:27 pm Tornado sirens
Apparently, that was the wind, not tornado sirens. I'm not sure how reassuring that is. Seems to have moved past.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Michigan was sure getting walloped and it sounds like they may need to lengthen the under construction Gordie Howe Bridge to end in Ann Arbor instead of Detroit.

You have to take a boat to get to an airport.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

We're having maybe the last real heat wave of the season, 95° today, 96° mañana. I walked already with ol' Wifehorn, we got going before it really starts stoking up.

By next week we'll have highs in the 80s. Sometimes September is the nicest month around this joint. :smoking:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

That storm came through here about 2 AM. It poured and caused a tornado in a nearby county. Lost power for about four hours.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Tornado touched down 20 miles due east, but some reports have it touching down 10 miles closer; it may have bounced. Another tornado touched down 3 miles east of where I used to live before my current employment.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:57 pm Tornado touched down 20 miles due east, but some reports have it touching down 10 miles closer; it may have bounced. Another tornado touched down 3 miles east of where I used to live before my current employment.
I hear they are still clearing trucks off of 96 near Williamston where a tornado, or a larger crash, or both, damaged 25+ vehicles.
101010 :towel:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

northland10 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:28 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:57 pm Tornado touched down 20 miles due east, but some reports have it touching down 10 miles closer; it may have bounced. Another tornado touched down 3 miles east of where I used to live before my current employment.
I hear they are still clearing trucks off of 96 near Williamston where a tornado, or a larger crash, or both, damaged 25+ vehicles.
Yep, that's the one; it did touch down 10 miles due east of us.
Rating: EF-2
Estimated Peak Wind: 125 mph
Path Length (Ingham):Around 10.70 miles
Path Length (Total): Around 12.00 miles
Path Width /maximum/: Around 500 yards
Fatalities: 1
Injuries: 3

Return to “General Stuff”