Weather Alerts

AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Other than to poke my head outside occasionally, I haven't been outside the last several days, even canceling a few planned days out. Today, I woke up with my lungs considerably gunky. I have ten days' worth of Advair (which I use when traveling by plane) so I started it this morning. It will probably take a few days to kick in.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Ahhhh. Woke up to mid 50s and steady rain. Wish I could share it with you east coasters.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Pretty much gone up here in Bathysphere or wherever it is, I think the damn Canuckistanians finally started raking the forest floor or sumpin'. :think:

Which is a good thing, because I gotta go walk 4 miles, that's a really interesting walk up here that I really don't want to miss.
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

They are forgetting the 2017 levels where the spillway failed and the emergency spillway was relieving the exess ...
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Oroville Spillway 5 14 2023.jpg
Oroville Spillway 5 14 2023.jpg (69.75 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

Woke up to a huge oak down in our backyard. At least one. We can't see because the canopy of the tree(s) covers most of the back windows. There's something about 20' long and maybe 4' wide against the back fence, which appears to have separated. No visible damage on the inside of the house like holes or leaks but any more inspection will have to wait for daylight.

So, good morning, I guess.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

So sorry to hear that. Good luck.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Yikes! :shock:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:57 am Woke up to a huge oak down in our backyard. At least one. We can't see because the canopy of the tree(s) covers most of the back windows. There's something about 20' long and maybe 4' wide against the back fence, which appears to have separated. No visible damage on the inside of the house like holes or leaks but any more inspection will have to wait for daylight.

Saw the pics on the other FB. Big tree!
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:36 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:57 am Woke up to a huge oak down in our backyard. At least one. We can't see because the canopy of the tree(s) covers most of the back windows. There's something about 20' long and maybe 4' wide against the back fence, which appears to have separated. No visible damage on the inside of the house like holes or leaks but any more inspection will have to wait for daylight.

Saw the pics on the other FB. Big tree!
It's actually 2.5 trees. An oak and hackberry are down completely (and took the fence with them) and also took a good bit of my black cherry and several huge limbs off another oak at the side of the house. Haven't gotten a call back from any of the tree guys yet so have no idea how much roof damage we have. We might find out tonight though, since more rain and wind "events" are in the forecast. We have both girl babies tonight because power has been out at their house since last night and it's 90+ degrees at 8pm still. The rug in their room is wet but we see no sign of a leak on the ceiling so we don't know what's going on.

A HUGE oak across the street snapped off about 8' from the ground and took a not-small black cherry with it, right on top of the car in their driveway. Oak tree hit by lightning on the corner fell across the road and into the house across the street. A block down is another tree across the street. The 911 system was down most of the morning and Entergy didn't have phones until about noon. It's a fucking mess, but not as bad as Katrina was.

80-90 mph straight line winds last night apparently. That's a sound you never forget.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Holy manole, Sugar M.! That's amazing, glad that at least you are safe and still with us.

Tree guys probably have a bizzy week coming up. Whew.
:superhero:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oh my! :bighug:
ImageImageImage x4
June bug

Weather Alerts

Post by June bug »

:bighug: :bighug: Sugar!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... red-rocks/
Nearly 100 people were injured Wednesday night when a hailstorm struck a Louis Tomlinson concert at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Colorado, according to the local fire and rescue agency.

The storm sent concertgoers running for cover as hail up to the size of tennis balls pelted down, according to West Metro Fire Rescue, which responded to the incident. Seven were transported to the hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening, including some with broken bones and cuts, and paramedics treated 80 to 90 people at the scene, the rescue agency said.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Tropical Storms Bret And Cindy Become First June Pair To Form East Of Lesser Antilles In Same Hurricane Season

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne ... 79386149=1
Tropical Storm Cindy has become a second rare June deep tropics storm, as Tropical Storm Bret brought heavy rain and strong winds to parts of the eastern Caribbean.

Tropical Storm Cindy formed late Thursday night. What had been Tropical Depression Four was upgraded to the season's fourth storm, Cindy, late Thursday night.

I​t's well east of the Lesser Antilles and is forecast to turn toward the northwest over the next few days. If it remains on that path, it would track north of the Leeward Islands early next week.

C​indy should gain some strength over the next few days, but then face a combination of shearing winds and dry air that will then weaken it early next week.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Record-breaking Texas heatwave enters third week as thousands lose power
New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri and Kansas also face scorching temperatures as heat dome settles over US south-west

Aliya Uteuova
Sat 24 Jun 2023 13.00 BST

A record-breaking heat wave is entering its third week in Texas, as temperatures reach triple digits in the broader US south and tens of thousands of people in affected states are without power and lack air conditioning.

More than 40 million people in the US are under a heat alert.

Texas cities have reached an unprecedented heat index – which combines temperature and humidity. Corpus Christi has hit 125F (51C), while Rio Grande Village notched 118F (47C) and Del Rio marked 115F (46C). States including New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas and Missouri are also experiencing scorching heat, with the National Weather Service predicting the temperatures to rise further and last into the week of 4 July.

The heat follows a weekend of destructive storms that left hundreds of thousands of people without power. The heat dome, as it is known, has settled above Mexico and parts of the US south-west and is caused by hot ocean air that has become trapped in the atmosphere.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ures-power
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Can only hope that Gov Gov Abbott gets his fair share of the blame.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Another tornado touched down a little over a mile north of us about an hour ago. It hit some apartments and apparently took at least part of the roof off of a Marsh grocery store that's been closed for years. All we had was some light wind. Second close call of the year but I'm starting to get a little paranoid. The power is out and may be for quite a while.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

We are under a severe thunderstorm watch. It hasn't hit us yet, but the thunder has been rolling non-stop for at least 15 minutes.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Structures were destroyed in Greenwood, Indiana, by a powerful tornado. Follow along for the latest details as we track this developing story: https://bit.ly/3JAFIK3
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:21 pm Structures were destroyed in Greenwood, Indiana, by a powerful tornado. Follow along for the latest details as we track this developing story: https://bit.ly/3JAFIK3
Yeah, that's the tornado that passed just north of us. The road that the north entrance into our subdivision exits onto is currently closed due to damage/downed trees.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

:eek:

Hope you and yours are OK.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:49 pm :eek:

Hope you and yours are OK.
All we had was a kind of medium Midwest breeze and no rain. That was it. But this photo was taken from the subdivision maybe a quarter mile from my house looking east and slightly north. Waaay too close.

IMG_5197.jpeg
IMG_5197.jpeg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 663 times
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:

Return to “General Stuff”