Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Maybenaut »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:16 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:39 pm NY Times has a story on Pierce.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/31/nyre ... =url-share
Only the best people...

I found this quote from attorney Pierce to be potentially even more delusional than some of Lin Wood's messianic ramblings:
“I’m like Gerard Butler in ‘300,’” Mr. Pierce said in an interview before dropping out of sight, comparing himself to the action star who played a Spartan king. “I’m in the hot gates at Thermopylae, holding the pass against the million-man Persian army.”
Sure sounds like you've fled with the cash, rather than holding the pass, moron.
I assume that at some point these “associates” will be called upon to explain where they got their information.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
filly

Post by filly »

ONE would think there should be some Show Cause Orders coming down very soon.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

BREAKING: Trump fanatic Samuel Lazar, who bragged about assaulting cops on Jan. 6, has been ordered held until trial. He palled around with GOP politicians at a Giuliani event in PA when he was wanted by the FBI. #facepaintblowhard #SeditionHunters

Remarkably, Magistrate Judge Robin Meriweather indicated that it was evidence found by online sleuths that (yet again) made the difference in this case. She was considering home detention until those gun photos surfaced. #SeditionHunters #facepaintblowhard
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

In light of John Pierce's indisposition, ABJ punts one of his more recent clients to a Magistrate for ascertainment of counsel.
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/5 ... s-shocking

I think Turley is missing something here. The danger Babbitt posed was that she was part of a mob trying to get into a barricaded room and attack members of Congress. If she got through that window unscathed she would have let in the mob and they would have torn any Congressmen they saw limb from limb.

Does he think if the mob got through they would have asked for autographs or something? It's pretty clear they had bad intentions.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:52 pm https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/5 ... s-shocking

I think Turley is missing something here. The danger Babbitt posed was that she was part of a mob trying to get into a barricaded room and attack members of Congress. If she got through that window unscathed she would have let in the mob and they would have torn any Congressmen they saw limb from limb.

Does he think if the mob got through they would have asked for autographs or something? It's pretty clear they had bad intentions.
Well, they WERE just ordinary, peaceful tourists, right?
bob

Post by bob »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:52 pmI think Turley is missing something here.
Turley's missing more than "something"; it is a bad-faith interpretation of both the laws and facts.

And soooo convenient that Turley has found religion about excessive force ... when the victim is a white conservative.
Image ImageImage
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Bad faith interpretation of the law that just so happens to be congruent with the motivated reasoning of right-wing types has become Turley's stock-in-trade. Like Dershowitz, he's one of those law professors who is so obsessed with is self-styled reputation as a gadfly that he has ended up on the summit of Mount Whackadoo with no hope of ever coming back down.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
DrIrvingFinegarten

bob wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:41 am
DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:52 pmI think Turley is missing something here.
Turley's missing more than "something"; it is a bad-faith interpretation of both the laws and facts.

And soooo convenient that Turley has found religion about excessive force ... when the victim is a white conservative.

It almost seems like because the insurrection didn't succeed they have, or think they have, a plausible deniability about what they were trying to do. They can somehow say with a straight face that they just wanted to yell at their Congressmen or something.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

That can be the reasoning used by all protesters everywhere going forward.

"We're sorry your honor. We came downtown to reclaim the city for The People, but didn't succeed. Don't know what we were thinking. Won't happen again."
DrIrvingFinegarten

bill_g wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:59 am That can be the reasoning used by all protesters everywhere going forward.

"We're sorry your honor. We came downtown to reclaim the city for The People, but didn't succeed. Don't know what we were thinking. Won't happen again."
One person on Twitter said they were going to "stage a peaceful sit in."

Sure, doesn't everyone wear tactical gear and bring tasers and flex cuffs to peaceful sit ins?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

RS, I lol’d very loudly.
What’s next? “I didn’t rape that girl… I was squeezing past her and became enmeshed?!!” :roll:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

"On February 23, 2021, CUNNINGHAM called Metro Nashville Police Department (MNPD) to report that a pressure washer was stolen from his front porch… CUNNINGHAM identified himself and stated that he entered the U.S. Capitol building on January 6. 2021.” CC:
@Popehat
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW: January 6 rioters have raised over $2 million on crowdfunding sites, largely by claiming they're "political prisoners" of a "corrupt" DOJ. Some raked in six-figure sums. Some are still using taxpayer-funded public defenders
@HBRabinowitz

@SchneiderCNN
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

There was a meeting of "leaders only" from mid-Atlantic militia groups planned for Jan 3 in Quarryville, which is Lancaster.

James Breheny invited Stewart Rhodes.

https://justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi- ... 1/download
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:05 pm Some are still using taxpayer-funded public defenders
So?
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:24 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:05 pm Some are still using taxpayer-funded public defenders
So?
IANAL. Emphatically. I thought taxpayer-funded public defenders were for those without means to pay a lawyer, not for folks with six figures sitting in an account earmarked specifically for their criminal defense? Or is it a they started with a public defender, so it makes sense to continue with one despite their newfound wealth kinda situation?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:36 pm
So?
IANAL. Emphatically. I thought taxpayer-funded public defenders were for those without means to pay a lawyer, not for folks with six figures sitting in an account earmarked specifically for their criminal defense? Or is it a they started with a public defender, so it makes sense to continue with one despite their newfound wealth kinda situation?
That's what I thought, but then I'm not a lawyer either. Seems skeevy though.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

IANAL but I'm not seeing where all this money is going into one big pot for the use of everyone charged for Jan 6. I'm assuming those who jumped on the crowd funding right from the start got the big bucks and no way in hell are they letting go of a penny of it. All the other schmucks who were too slow or too dumb to go that path are left depending on public defenders.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Are you suggesting a fund set up for the defense of all might actually be sucked into the pocket of an orange conman or other less than intended source? Just like the, random example, a Stop the Steal fund?
Hic sunt dracones
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:41 pm

So?
If they start with a public defender then get money, they have to give up the public defender (I’m sure the public defenders know how to find out if their clients are getting any of that money). But if they can’t tap that legal defense fund and are otherwise indigent, they’re constitutionally entitled to representation. So the line in the tweet about “taxpayer-funded” representation kind of jumped out at me because it suggested that the people receiving representation by public defenders weren’t entitled to it.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:05 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:41 pm

If they start with a public defender then get money, they have to give up the public defender (I’m sure the public defenders know how to find out if their clients are getting any of that money). But if they can’t tap that legal defense fund and are otherwise indigent, they’re constitutionally entitled to representation. So the line in the tweet about “taxpayer-funded” representation kind of jumped out at me because it suggested that the people receiving representation by public defenders weren’t entitled to it.
TY. My feeble brain took it as individual go fund me accounts for the individuals, but likely wrong again. It happens. :bag:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:14 pm
TY. My feeble brain took it as individual go fund me accounts for the individuals, but likely wrong again. It happens. :bag:
I think the result will be the same whether it’s an individual gofundme account or a legal defense fund, Depending on how much money they raise. I don’t think indigency necessarily requires a person not to be able to eat.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Another Jan 6 defendant acknowledges he is NOT vaccinated for Covid.

Klete Keller.. the former Olymipc swimmer just told the judge. Judge asked "Why"? Keller said he already had COVID and indicates he doesn't need it

Judge warns Keller to "talk to a physician"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:19 pm https:// twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1433082271754559497
There was a meeting of "leaders only" from mid-Atlantic militia groups planned for Jan 3 in Quarryville, which is Lancaster.

James Breheny invited Stewart Rhodes.

https://justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi- ... 1/download
from the WSJ article in the tweet
Before Suicide, French Programmer Made Bitcoin Bequests to Pro-Trump Groups
FBI has been briefed on mysterious transactions as it investigates potential foreign funding of far-right groups in the U.S., according to people familiar with the matter

Law-enforcement officials have long been concerned that bitcoin could be used to fund extremist groups.

By Robert McMillan and Sam Schechner
Jan. 18, 2021 9:26 pm ET

In December 2020, a French computer programmer named Laurent Bachelier donated more than half a million dollars in bitcoin to a variety of right-wing causes. That same day Mr. Bachelier, who suffered from a debilitating medical condition, killed himself.

The donations and their recipients were first described in a report last week by a bitcoin analysis firm, Chainalysis Inc. The Wall Street Journal identified Mr. Bachelier as the donor through online records and interviews with people familiar with the matter.

The Chainalysis report said the donations included 13.5 bitcoins—the equivalent, at the time, of $250,000—to Nick Fuentes, a far-right personality with a large online following. Mr. Bachelier donated a further $272,000 to other right-wing causes—again using bitcoin—giving more than $17,000 to the social-media platform Gab, and a similar amount to the anti-immigration website VDARE.com, according to the report.

Weeks later, Mr. Fuentes and some of his supporters were part of the crowd at President Trump’s rally before the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, according to researchers who have been studying the event and its participants.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”