What are you watching?

John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

Are going to watch this?

Nicolas Cage will portray the late, great football legend in a biographical movie titled Madden that will cover the coach's life, particularly the days he spent leading the Oakland Raiders from 1969 to '78.

https://www.cbs42.com/sports/sports-ill ... 20to%20'78.
MN-Skeptic

What are you watching?

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Luke wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:22 pm Wow. While looking for a Mary Tyler Moore episode that came to mind in the Harris VP topic, I found a 20-minute documentary I'd never even heard of. It's the making of the Season 4 opening credits refresh for the Mary Tyler Moore Show. A local news show in Minneapolis got permission to film it, two 14-hour days with Mary, Valerie, Jim Brooks, Grant Tinker & Co. It's all there, creating the shots washing the car, the ducks... it was so fun. The clothes and hair! You won't watch the opening credits the same way after seeing it (if you're a MTM show fan).
Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed it. It shows that it was filmed in 1973. I graduated from college in Dec 1974 and moved to a Minneapolis suburb in Jan 1975. I started working in downtown Minneapolis on Jan 2, 1975, so all of the scenes are what I saw when I first moved here. I would regularly walk down Nicollet Mall and go through the IDS Center where the Crystal Court was (where Mary was eating at a table by a railing). The local show which put this together - Moore on Sunday - was something I used to watch, and Dave Moore, the local news person narrating the film, was a very long time and beloved news anchor for the local CBS affiliate - WCCO. Goodness! That was 51 years ago!
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

The Union coming to Netflix tomorrow (Aug 16)

Stars Mark Wahlberg and Halle Berry.

Espionage and action.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

What are you watching?

Post by Maybenaut »

Watching The Repair Shop on Prime. It’s “On Now,” meaning there are commercials, no pause, no rewind, etc. People bring in their broken shit, and experts fix it, like, this plate was my grandma’s and she always wished it had been fixed, or whatever. Then they’ll fix it and you’d never know it had ever been broken. Each episode had 2 or 3 broken items. It’s sweet. Sometimes you need sweet.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

True, Maybenaut! Here's some fun, kind, wholesome weekend entertainment...

Didn't realize they found this treasure, it's Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1957, Kinescope) - Julie Andrews, Jon Cypher, Edie Adams. Kaye Ballard is one of the stepsisters. This is a BLACK and WHITE kinescope record of the final dress rehearsal of Cinderella straight through. Over 100M people watched the original 1957 airing, the biggest of any TV show to that point. There's a full explanation of what happened in the YouTube description. Loving 21-year-old Julie Andrews (she was starring in My Fair Lady on Broadway then, what a magnificent career).

44:09 is young Kaye Ballard and Alice Ghostley from Bewitched (!) with "Stepsister's Lament" (“Why would a fella want a girl like her? A frail and fluffy beauty!”)

Here's the 1965 version with Lesley Ann Warren:

One more: Carol Burnett in ONCE UPON A MATTRESS! 1964 TV PRODUCTION brought to you by Lipton Tea
This was written by Mary Rodgers, Richard Rodgers' daughter. The song SHY became a classic and Carol Burnett was the greatest performance of it.

There's about 6 minutes more in this version but the audio/video isn't nearly as good.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
SuzieC
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by SuzieC »

Bad Monkey on AppleTV, based upon the Carl Hiaasen novel. I've resisted an AppleTV subscription until now but love Hiaasen's hilarious novels so much that I just had to watch this series. Stars Vince Vaughn who is excellent.
Mrich

What are you watching?

Post by Mrich »

SuzieC wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 4:48 pm Bad Monkey on AppleTV, based upon the Carl Hiaasen novel. I've resisted an AppleTV subscription until now but love Hiaasen's hilarious novels so much that I just had to watch this series. Stars Vince Vaughn who is excellent.
If you're new to AppleTV and haven't seen "Ted Lasso", give it a try. I'd like to hear what you think.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

What are you watching?

Post by poplove »

Mrich wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:26 pm
SuzieC wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 4:48 pm Bad Monkey on AppleTV, based upon the Carl Hiaasen novel. I've resisted an AppleTV subscription until now but love Hiaasen's hilarious novels so much that I just had to watch this series. Stars Vince Vaughn who is excellent.
If you're new to AppleTV and haven't seen "Ted Lasso", give it a try. I'd like to hear what you think.
I second this!!! It's so, so good that I've watched it three times so far.
Maybenaut

What are you watching?

Post by Maybenaut »

Love Ted Lasso! Resisted it for a long time because I made stupid assumptions about it.

So, so good!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
SuzieC
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by SuzieC »

Mrich wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:26 pm
Will do! Except that Season 2 of The Rings of Power starts August 29. I will be glued to my TV.
Mrich

What are you watching?

Post by Mrich »

One thing about Ted Lasso - watch at least a couple episodes before you decide. You will fall in love with most of the characters. (Some it takes a while, but you will learn to love them - well, all but one.) Also, I always watched with captioning on. :mrgreen:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

What are you watching?

Post by poplove »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:09 pm Love Ted Lasso! Resisted it for a long time because I made stupid assumptions about it.

So, so good!
I resisted getting Apple TV for a long time because I was being cheap and didn't need another streaming service. I finally caved because I was hearing so many good things about Ted Lasso. Totally worth it!
SuzieC
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by SuzieC »

My son and I also watched the movie Greyhound on Apple TV. It is about merchant marines in WWII. Excellent. My son is ex-Navy and his grandfather was in the Merchant Marines and we come from a long line of military families. Trump has lost the military vote.
Kendra

What are you watching?

Post by Kendra »

@luke. Thank you thank you for the link. What a treat :bighug:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

What are you watching?

Post by northland10 »

I am really bad at watching new shows but will try and get over that by the time Dune: Prophecy comes out in November-ish.

101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

The original Airplane (1970) on Netflix.

Whoops..Airport.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I am officially hooked on YouTube true crime trial streaming.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Rolodex

What are you watching?

Post by Rolodex »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:55 am I am officially hooked on YouTube true crime trial streaming.
Same. Just watched the Robert Telles in Las Vegas cross examination. Closing arguments should be Monday and I'll be tuning in!

Trials are so interesting in a meta sense. You sometimes have terrible things that happened, and yet the court proceedings seem anodyne in a lot of ways - usually, unless you look at the Christmas parade killer guy -can't remember his name. That judge tried to make it that way, but the defendant didn't want to participate that way.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

I watched a documentary on Prime that left me wondering How the Hell I didn't know about This. More than 30 years in the area, and this is the first time I've ever heard about it - the Gorge Amphitheater in George WA along the upper Columbia River. There's been multiple Woodstocks going on up there, and I never knew.

Not that I go to concerts. I'm not fond of crowds. I don't even like grocery shopping in busy stores. But, this might be something on my bucket list. Watch the events calendar, and pick a show to go see. Some band I can stand to listen to, but only attracts 10,000 people instead of 100,000. A lesser light. They're out there. I don't know about camping there, but for many people, camping is part of the pilgrimage. They go for the whole experience. Considering some people are still going since the 80's, I'll be surrounded by aging hippies. Might be a plus. Might not.

Enormous - The Gorge Story on Amazon Prime now. An amazing story about a couple that spun gold from sage brush and bad wine.
Maybenaut

What are you watching?

Post by Maybenaut »

I only know about the Gorge for the same reason I know about anything: it featured in one of my client’s crimes. I had also never heard of Phish until a client got arrested at a concert many years ago.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Rolodex wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:25 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:55 am I am officially hooked on YouTube true crime trial streaming.
Same. Just watched the Robert Telles in Las Vegas cross examination. Closing arguments should be Monday and I'll be tuning in!

Trials are so interesting in a meta sense. You sometimes have terrible things that happened, and yet the court proceedings seem anodyne in a lot of ways - usually, unless you look at the Christmas parade killer guy -can't remember his name. That judge tried to make it that way, but the defendant didn't want to participate that way.
Check out Hidden True Crimes. This investigative journalist and criminal psychologist team (spouses) analyze trials. They just covered Telles’s testimony. As Tim Walz says, “He’s weird.”
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Rolodex

What are you watching?

Post by Rolodex »

OOH thanks! Looks great!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
RVInit

What are you watching?

Post by RVInit »

If you want to look up a fascinating case, try the Karen Read case. I wasn't aware of it in "real time", but kept seeing too many YouTube video "thumbnails" and titles that made it clear that most people do not believe Karen Read is guilty. I started watching some of it and getting familiar with it.

Man oh man, that case is WILD, including "investigation" that was even more incompetent (or worse) than detective Hancock's massive failure in the Rust case. I was considering putting up a thread about it, but, ugh. But that is a fascinating case.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

I like fake criming as in Preacher. Oh hell yeah. On Netflix now. Four seasons of insanity. Git you some too.

In beautiful Anneville Texas fresh from the Quincannon Meat and Power Company. Sink holes. Murderin Undead Cowboys. Vampire (singular)(110year old Irishman, lonely and lookin for a date). God. He's got a starring role. The decendant of His only Son who is very very very developementally challenged. Hot chicks. The Pope. Crazy rednecks who think the South will ride again. Crazy Rich Acolytes who think the Second Coming is real, and they're gonna make sure of it. Angels without a clue. Sheriffs without a clue. A whole population without a clue. And a Preacher in need of a comb that is just getting started.

Preacher is like Portland weather - if you don't like it, give it a minute. It'll change.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

What are you watching?

Post by Ben-Prime »

bill_g wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:04 pm I like fake criming as in Preacher. Oh hell yeah. On Netflix now. Four seasons of insanity. Git you some too.

In beautiful Anneville Texas fresh from the Quincannon Meat and Power Company. Sink holes. Murderin Undead Cowboys. Vampire (singular)(110year old Irishman, lonely and lookin for a date). God. He's got a starring role. The decendant of His only Son who is very very very developementally challenged. Hot chicks. The Pope. Crazy rednecks who think the South will ride again. Crazy Rich Acolytes who think the Second Coming is real, and they're gonna make sure of it. Angels without a clue. Sheriffs without a clue. A whole population without a clue. And a Preacher in need of a comb that is just getting started.

Preacher is like Portland weather - if you don't like it, give it a minute. It'll change.
The original printed run on which the show was based was fun early on, but likewise was one of those wild rides that could be perceived not so much as going off the rails, but throwing the ties, spikes, and rails into the air and seeing if they could make the train jump up to find a new level.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”