January 6 Select Committee

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: January 6 Select Committee

Post by raison de arizona »

Donald Trump Jr. interviews with the January 6 committee after release of his texts to Mark Meadows telling his father to 'lead' because the riot had 'gone too far'

The ex-president's eldest child reportedly spoke with the committee for 3 hours

Trump Jr.'s interview was cordial and he did not invoke the Fifth Amendment to avoid answering questions, sources told CNN
:snippity:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... adows.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Hugo Lowell @hugolowell wrote: Just in: Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani will not be testifying to the Jan. 6 committee tomorrow, per sources familiar. Appears the entire interview is off for the moment.

Giuliani asked to record his interview — which the Jan. 6 committee refused. Heard tonight it was to ensure he won’t be caught in a perjury trap in a subsequent investugation but this is speculation. He may have just wanted to delay.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Because Roodles hasn't ever thought of the other way to beat a perjury trap.

Don't. Fucking. Lie.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Yes Roodles, you look like a fool. Even Bannon clearly thinks so.
Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 @RonFilipkowski wrote: Rudy canceled his testimony before the J6 Committee today because they wouldn’t let him film it. “I’m going to trust them? Do I look like a fool?” Rudy then says he wants to ask the audience if they think he’s a fool. Bannon laughs and says that’s probably a bad idea.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:waiting:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I get really tired of these people moaning about "perjury traps".

A so-called perjury trap is the easiest thing in the world to avoid.

Tell the truth.

IANAL, but I don't believe that an honest mistake or misstatement is sufficient grounds for a perjury conviction. So, if Rudy were to basically tell the truth, he is in no danger of a perjury charge, even if he (honestly) misstates something.

I think that Rudy wanted to have a video that he could edit to make it sound to the Maga hats that those evil liberals were persecuting him. They'll believe that anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

UPDATE: In a filinng seeking a two-day delay, Eastman indicates that the select committee believes 135 of the emails they're trying to get from him fall under the "crime-fraud" exception to attorney client privilege.

New: The Jan. 6 committee videotaped a host of its witness intvs. It's unclear what's going to happen w/all the tape. One source: "You’d have to be woefully naive if you don’t think they’re going to use some of the videos at the hearings"
w/
@kyledcheney
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ite-house/
President Biden has authorized the National Archives and Records Administration to hand over an eighth tranche of presidential records from the Trump White House to the House committee investigating the deadly Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.

In a letter released Wednesday by the National Archives, Biden again declined to assert executive privilege over the records — the latest batch sought by the committee after the Supreme Court rejected former president Donald Trump’s bid to block such releases.

The new letter is in line with the Biden administration’s decision to err on the side of disclosure, given the gravity of the events in the Jan. 6 attack by a pro-Trump mob. The National Archives has already turned over hundreds of pages of documents to the committee, and the latest set contains approximately 23,000 emails and attachments.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

New subpoenas per CNN reporting. Sitting congressmen...
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Subpoenas mean 'surrender'
putz.png
putz.png (224.97 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Subooena'd: Kevin McCarthy. Jim Jordan, Andy Biggs, a couple others. If they fight it, could take months to litigate.

See Kyle Cheney tweets.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Nicole Wallace is up in a minute. Looking forward to that discussion.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

"This is the high watermark now," CBS News'
@MacFarlaneNews
reports as the House select committee investigating January 6 issues subpoenas to House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and four other House Republicans.

"It is quite a statement. It is quite a provocative thing."
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

New Turtle wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:56 pm Subooena'd: Kevin McCarthy. Jim Jordan, Andy Biggs, a couple others. If they fight it, could take months to litigate.

See Kyle Cheney tweets.

Every damn time any of them cry about it being a political stunt I hope someone, anyone, will call them on it.

Who am I kidding, the only one they have the nuts to answer questions for are Tucker Carlson and the Developmentally Disabled Monkey Marching Band on Fox News, OANN and the other one I can't even be bothered to remember...
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:21 pm
New Turtle wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:56 pm Subooena'd: Kevin McCarthy. Jim Jordan, Andy Biggs, a couple others. If they fight it, could take months to litigate.

See Kyle Cheney tweets.

Every damn time any of them cry about it being a political stunt I hope someone, anyone, will call them on it.

Who am I kidding, the only one they have the nuts to answer questions for are Tucker Carlson and the Developmentally Disabled Monkey Marching Band on Fox News, OANN and the other one I can't even be bothered to remember...
Newsmax...

And they only have to run out the clock, where gerrymandering gives them the House back in 2025 they get to have their own "legitimate" investigations into the culture wars. And I hope Cortez, Omar, et al, have some hobbies, because they won't be on any committees...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:24 pm Newsmax...

And they only have to run out the clock, where gerrymandering gives them the House back in 2025 they get to have their own "legitimate" investigations into the culture wars. And I hope Cortez, Omar, et al, have some hobbies, because they won't be on any committees...

I'm really glad I'm not really on social media much, as in the non GOP troll influenced "progressive" world Gerrymandering has actually favored the Democrats as Judges have thrown out GOP influences maps, and in other area they have had to twist the maps so extremely they couldn't even get it past their own boards so the resulting maps have been relatively fair.
Hic sunt dracones
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

This whole thing is going to turn into a urinating contest.

If we assume that the GOP retakes the House majority next year, they will start retaliating. There are no hard and fast rules that cannot be changed with a simple majority vote, if I understand things about their procedures.

I would expect many Democrats would be without committee assignments. I would expect that committees would be represented by a token Democrat or two while vastly outnumbered by Republicans. I would expect a lot of saber-rattling and perhaps their own special commission on the Big Lie.

Y'know, we have a bunch of adolescents earning $174,000 plus a fancy benefit package and a pension after six years' service.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

On the Senate side, you just know that the first thing McConnell is gonna do is abolish the filibuster so the second thing he can do is pass a National Right to Life Law, which they will pass over and over again so Biden has to veto it every other day until 2024.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:popcorn:

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/14/more-b ... e-hearings

The Jan. 6 committee may seek testimony from additional lawmakers as soon as next week, ahead of blockbuster TV hearings that kick off next month, Axios has learned.

Driving the news: Chiefs of staff and other aides to members of the House select committee were told Friday on their weekly call with committee staff to brace for more bombshells ahead of the June 9 start to public hearings, according to two sources on the call.

The briefers did not say which lawmakers will be contacted, or whether they intended to issue more subpoenas, the sources told Axios.
The Jan. 6 committee declined to comment.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Haven't seen a link yet, but MSNBC is reporting online that DOJ has requested transcripts for the 1/6 committee.

:fiesta: :groupdance:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:02 pm Haven't seen a link yet, but MSNBC is reporting online that DOJ has requested transcripts for the 1/6 committee.

:fiesta: :groupdance:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/17/us/p ... ripts.html

I also posted it on the assault thread.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks for the link.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

House Jan 6 Select Cmte chair Bennie Thompson says Justice Dept & some state/local investigators have asked committee for copies of depositions. Thompson says Committee can’t “share” its records, but might be open to allowing investigators to review in Cmte office
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Meanwhile... Steve Bannon is still trying to get his Contempt of Congress case dismissed. He's filed a voluminous new motion... arguing exec privilege matters

He's back in court June 15. One week after first House Jan 6 Select Cmte hearing
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

"arguing exec privilege"

:confuzzled:

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”