Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Wikipedia sez:
Siestas are historically common throughout the Mediterranean and Southern Europe, the Middle East, mainland China, and the Indian subcontinent. The siesta is an old tradition in Spain and, through Spanish influence, in most of Latin America and the Philippines. The Spanish word siesta derives originally from the Latin phrase [hora] sexta ('sixth [hour]', counting from dawn, hence "midday rest").
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yep. Not Mexicans. Not Puerto Ricans.

For some reason the North Fork attracts Guatemalans. We even have a Guatemalan Consulate just four miles from here.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:24 am
Volkonski wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:22 am New driveway Day 3.

Still a bit of masonry to finish. Then come the pebbles.
In the Great Lakes shipping thread, we use taconite for pebbles. 8-)

I can get you a great deal on 100,000,000 lbs. of the stuff. ;)
You'll need to make 2 trips. Only the 1,000 foot ships can carry that much at one time but they cannot go to Long Island. They are too long for the Welland Canal.

I could take a nice, lovely drive up to Two Harbors, MN (lovely area; I've been there a few times), but my Grand Cherokee is a wee bit smaller than the ships that carry the stuff.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V insists on authentic North Fork pebbles. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Maybe Trump can use the taconite for his iron dome. :lol:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:32 pm Maybe Trump can use the taconite for his iron dome. :lol:
I ain't delivering for him (though it would not be impossible to convince me to go up to Duluth/Two Harbors anyway).

If he needs an ore ship, he might be able to get one cheap. He might be able to buy the Cuyahoga at a 'fire' sale, though it has not caught fire for 3 months now (the boat or the river). It caught fire last year as well (the boat, not the river).

If he buys it, he may want to rename it.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Post by Foggy »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:29 pm Mrs.V insists on authentic North Fork pebbles. ;)
Spoilsport. :boxing:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I thought it was a Latin American thing. And I think it's a great idea. I remember having that after-lunch rundown feeling. If I could have taken a 20 minute power nap, I'd have been fine.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Final day of new driveway installation.

Things slowed a bit when they decided to add 2 more French drains. Well, protect the patio (which they built several years ago) they must.

Since they are our regular lawn service folk they reseeded the areas they disturbed yesterday.

Only thing left are the pebbles. Lots of pebbles. ;)
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:50 am Only thing left are the pebbles. Lots of pebbles. ;)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Based on price per oz, you could pave with prime rib cheaper than Fruity Pebbles. A meat driveway. That would get the attention of the Saturday Style Section.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Second truck load of pebbles just arrived. :biggrin:

Driveway almost finished.

Just in time too. We have been parking our van in front of the cottage to the left which has been unoccupied. However some of that group of Mrs.V's are arriving tomorrow.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

First full day of summer so the local Oldies station is playing every song they can find related to summer.

Happily there are a lot of songs about summer. ;)
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:10 am First full day of summer so the local Oldies station is playing every song they can find related to summer.

Happily there are a lot of songs about summer. ;)
Ring of Fire 🔥
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:eek:

New Blue-Green Algae Found In Locations Across East End
The cyanobacteria blooms were found in Mattituck, Sag Harbor, Sagaponack, Water Mill and Southampton, officials say.

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/ne ... cb4d8b4d76
New cyanobacteria blooms have been found in locations across the East End, according to the Suffolk County Department of Health Services.

The cyanobacteria blooms have been found in Mattituck, Sag Harbor, Sagaponack, Water Mill and Southampton, the SCDHS said.

Analysis of surface water samples performed by SUNY Stony Brook has confirmed the presence of new cyanobacteria blooms, more commonly known as blue-green algae, in Wolf Pit Lake in Mattituck; Long Pond in Sag Harbor; Poxabogue Pond in Sagaponack; Mill Pond in Water Mill and Agawam Lake in Southampton, officials said.

Due to the findings, health officials have asked residents not to use or recreate in those waters and to keep their children and pets away from the area.

Though blue-green algae are naturally present in lakes and streams in low numbers, they can become abundant, forming blooms in shades of green, blue-green, yellow, brown or red, health officials said. They may produce floating scums on the surface of the water or may cause the water to take on paint-like appearance.

Contact with waters that appear scummy or discolored should be avoided, officials said. If contact does occur, rinse off with clean water immediately. Seek medical attention if any of the following symptoms occur after contact: nausea, vomiting or diarrhea; skin, eye or throat irritation; or allergic reactions or breathing difficulties, the SCDHS said.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Busy weekend for Mrs.V.

Right now she is with the local Unitarians marching in the Greenport Pride Parade.

Tomorrow she has a get together up Island with some other local recorder players.

Monday is the No Doubt World Famous Monday Night Band concert.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

'Dangerous' Rip Current Risk For LI's Ocean Beaches

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/s/ ... cb4d8b4d76
Dangerous rip tides have sparked a warning by the National Weather Service for beach-goers across Long Island to stay out of the surf Monday.

The NWS issued a coastal hazard message Monday morning for southwest and southeast Suffolk, as well as southern Nassau, regarding a high rip current risk that remains in effect until Monday evening.

"Life-threatening rip currents are likely for all people entering the surf zone. Anyone visiting the beaches should stay out of the surf. Rip currents can sweep even the best swimmers away from shore into deeper water," the NWS said.

The NWS advised that anyone entering the surf zone should always have a flotation device with them and swim near a lifeguard.

"If caught in a rip current, relax and float, and do not swim against the current. If able, swim in a direction following the shoreline. If unable to escape, face the shore and yell or wave for help," the NWS said.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RIP currents continue today and tomorrow. :(

Primary election day in NY today. Radio news reports that phony text messages and phone calls are giving out false info about polling place locations. :mad:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Porch report-

Today the porch repair folks are here to replace some rotting boards on the upstairs front porch.

Since I normally sit under those I am displaced. :(

Mrs. V's cousin from the DC area got the all clear from her doctors and she and her husband arrive later today.

Our younger daughter and our grandson will arrive Sunday.

It's summer for certain. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

It is the first weekend of Fourth of July week!

Schools are out.

Vacationers getting a whole week while taking only 4 vacation days are coming out to the North Fork by the thousands.

All but one of the cottages on the Circle are occupied.

Children and dogs fill the Circle. The turkeys have fled.

Our porch is repaired. Just needs painting by our handyman.

Mrs. V has laid in supplies for soon to be visiting younger daughter and grandson.

:thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

As we were returning from the podiatrist in the big hamlet to the west this afternoon we passed the last NOFO duck farm. The LIRR track runs just south of that and north of the road.

We were surprised to see a stopped westbound LIRR train. As we turned around the creek there were police cars and an ambulance with flashing lights. :eek:

Since getting home I have been searching the local news but so far there have been no reports of a train accident involving injuries.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our neighbors to the North are getting solar cells. For this past week tree folk have been cutting down their trees up to our property line.

Shade is now their enemy.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”