Rest In Peace

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Rest In Peace

Post by RTH10260 »

Roger Corman obituary
American film director and producer who liked to describe himself as the ‘Orson Welles of the Z movie’

Ronald Bergan
Sun 12 May 2024 18.44 CEST

Although Roger Corman, who has died aged 98, directed more than 50 films, he will be remembered mainly as an influential producer and genial godfather to the New American Cinema of the 1970s. The list of his beneficiaries makes up a Who’s Who of contemporary American film. Martin Scorsese, Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola, Monte Hellman, and Jonathan Demme were all directing proteges of Corman.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/m ... n-obituary
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/obitu ... 2403220106
Cyril Harrison Wecht, a flamboyant and controversial Allegheny County coroner, commissioner and Democratic Party leader, died Monday.

He was 93.

His death was announced by the Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts.

Dr. Wecht, a nationally known forensic pathologist with a law degrees from the University of Maryland and the University of Pittsburgh and a medical degree from Pitt, was one of the more vocal critics of the Warren Commission report that concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald alone was responsible for the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Shizzle Popped »

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/13/12510067 ... -at-age-78
Saxophonist David Sanborn, 6-time Grammy winner, has died at age 78

David Sanborn, whose keening cry on alto saxophone was as bright and steadfast as a lighthouse beacon during a career that spanned nearly 60 years and included collaborations with everyone from David Bowie to Stevie Wonder, died on Sunday in Tarrytown, N.Y. He was 78.

According to an official statement, the cause was complications of prostate cancer, which he had been battling since 2018.

:snippity:
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Estiveo
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Rest In Peace

Post by poplove »

Estiveo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:05 pm Dabney Coleman, 92.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235902521/
:brokenheart: He was so perfect in 9 to 5. I also loved him as the cop in How To Beat The High Cost of Living.
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

He was great in everything he did. Who remembers him on Columbo? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069904/?ref_=ttep_ep8
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

:callonme:

And I catch it occasionally.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Rest In Peace

Post by neonzx »

....m
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Rest In Peace

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic

Rest In Peace

Post by MN-Skeptic »

By the way, the Dabney Coleman clip from SNL was aired October 31, 1987.
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/18/politics ... index.html
Alice Stewart, a veteran political adviser and CNN political commentator who worked on several GOP presidential campaigns, has died. She was 58.

Law enforcement officials told CNN that Stewart’s body was found outdoors in the Bellevue neighborhood in northern Virginia early Saturday morning. No foul play is suspected, and officers believe a medical emergency occurred.

“Alice was a very dear friend and colleague to all of us at CNN,” Mark Thompson, the network’s CEO, said in an email to staff Saturday. “A political veteran and an Emmy Award-winning journalist who brought an incomparable spark to CNN’s coverage, known across our bureaus not only for her political savvy, but for her unwavering kindness. Our hearts are heavy as we mourn such an extraordinary loss.”
CNN anchors and others spent a lot of time on air this afternoon, apparently she was highly regarded by all.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Rest In Peace

Post by Reality Check »

Bill Walton, college and NBA basketball star. He was 71 and suffering from cancer.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/402 ... on-dies-71
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Rest In Peace

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn was a pal, and allowed Bill to borrow her history notes, when they were in the same class at UCLA. She gave me a scare, she screamed so loud when she learned about his passing. This one hits really close to home. :cry:
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
John Thomas8

Rest In Peace

Post by John Thomas8 »

A grand voice of sports absurdities is silenced. That's sad.
scirreeve

Rest In Peace

Post by scirreeve »

I chatted with Bill in an airport a few years ago. By "chatted" I mean I (a random person to him) said a couple of words about the Blazers to him and then listened to Bill's stream of consciousness talking style for 10 minutes or so. RIP Bill
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Rest In Peace

Post by Foggy »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:57 pm A grand voice of sports absurdities is silenced. That's sad.
Yeah, he was such a great player, I fear his broadcasting career will be overlooked.
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
John Thomas8

Rest In Peace

Post by John Thomas8 »

Foggy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:55 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:57 pm A grand voice of sports absurdities is silenced. That's sad.
Yeah, he was such a great player, I fear his broadcasting career will be overlooked.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Rest In Peace

Post by keith »

I dont think its a coincidence that he died on the same day that the PAC12 did.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Rest In Peace

Post by keith »

Interestinly, ABC Australia Radio National lead the hourly news broadcast with an excellent obit for Walton, the second story was the landslide in PNG, followed by Gaza.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Rest In Peace

Post by northland10 »

scirreeve wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:05 pm I chatted with Bill in an airport a few years ago. By "chatted" I mean I (a random person to him) said a couple of words about the Blazers to him and then listened to Bill's stream of consciousness talking style for 10 minutes or so. RIP Bill
The closest I got is that I met and sat a few seats away from his college coach during a distinguishes citizen dinner back when I was like 19 (I was their uniformed Eagle Scout and the youth member on thr council executive board). Wooden was the guest speaker.

I don't think we talked about Bill, or anything.

His passing is sad. Even I who does not really follow basketball knows who he was.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Volkonski »

Disney song writer Richard Sherman has died at 95.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Rest In Peace

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

He wrote beautiful music!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Rest In Peace

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Gift link - Marian Robinson, mother of first lady Michelle Obama, dies at 86
Marian Robinson, a homemaker from the South Side of Chicago who became the first presidential in-law in generations to live in the White House after her daughter, Michelle Obama, became first lady of the United States, died May 31 in Chicago. She was 86.

The family announced the death in a statement but did not provide a cause.

Mrs. Robinson, who often was called Mrs. R or the “First Grandma,” was the daughter of a painter and a stay-at-home mother and became a stay-at-home mother herself at a time when few African American women could afford not to work.

In a small but comfortable home, she raised her daughter, who pursued a career as a lawyer and health-care executive before becoming first lady, and her son, Craig Robinson, who grew up to become a college basketball coach. In later years, Mrs. Robinson also worked as a bank secretary.
Much more at the link above.
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janis_Paige
​(m. 1956; div. 1957)​
Ray Gilbert

​(m. 1962; died 1976)​
Janis Paige (born Donna Mae Tjaden; September 16, 1922 – June 2, 2024) was an American actress and singer. With a career spanning nearly 60 years, she was one of the last surviving stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Born in Tacoma, Washington, Paige began singing in local amateur shows at the age of five. After high school, she moved to Los Angeles, where she became a singer at the Hollywood Canteen during World War II, as well as posing as a pin-up model.

This led to a film contract with Warner Bros., although she later left the studio to pursue live theatre work, appearing in a number of Broadway shows. She continued to alternate between film and theatre work for much of her career. Beginning in the mid-1950s, she also made numerous television appearances, as well as starring in her own sitcom It's Always Jan.
Link won't embed. See below. Loved this episode of Columbo.
Oh no! The irrepressible Janis Paige, who was unforgettable as ‘Goldie’ in 1971 Columbo episode ‘Blueprint for Murder’, has died at the grand old age of 101 😭
Volkonski
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Volkonski »

Doctor Who legend William Russell dies aged 99
He played one of the show's first ever companions.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/do ... ewsupdate/
Doctor Who legend William Russell, best known for playing school teacher Ian Chesterton, has died aged 99.

The Guardian has confirmed the death of the actor, who is survived by his wife, Etheline. He died on 3rd June 2024.

Russell first appeared in An Unearthly Child, the first ever Doctor Who story, alongside William Hartnell who played the First Doctor, Carole Ann Ford, who played companion Susan, and Jacqueline Hill who played fellow teacher Barbara Wright.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “General Stuff”