X -Where Twitter goes to die.

Kendra

Twitter

Post by Kendra »

"I think this is kind of an abject lesson that [journalists] can't really bank on Twitter being stable over time, at this point."

Here's some of my conversation with
@atrupar
, one of several journalists suspended from #Twitter earlier this week.
@livenowfox
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:59 pm Am I the only one around here who has never been on Twitter?
I am not "on" Twitter, although this summer they prodded with a popup when reading so I created an account, with a seldom used Yahoo email attached, and use it only to read. No preferences set, no personal details, not following anyone.
p0rtia

Twitter

Post by p0rtia »

So, can we agree that anyone who pays for a blue check mark on Twitter gets blocked?

And if not, what's the arguement?
sugar magnolia

Twitter

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kendra wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:28 pm
"I think this is kind of an abject lesson that [journalists] can't really bank on Twitter being stable over time, at this point."

Here's some of my conversation with
@atrupar
, one of several journalists suspended from #Twitter earlier this week.
@livenowfox
"Abject?"
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, that maybe should have been "object".
Katie Porter '28
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:23 pm Yeah, that maybe should have been "object".
That's my conclusion. Part of how misquotations happen.
tek

Twitter

Post by tek »

It turns out that "abject lesson" is an eggcorn, a special form of malaprop (wrong word usage) caused by two English words sounding about the same in a particular dialect. In this case, the culprit might be Indian English, which pronounces the "a" in "about" and "abject" very much like an "o" sound.
https://owlcation.com/humanities/abject ... ect-lesson
Kendra

Twitter

Post by Kendra »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:34 pm
Foggy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:23 pm Yeah, that maybe should have been "object".
That's my conclusion. Part of how misquotations happen.
Good catch all, I missed that.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

Musky seems to be wanting to claw some of his money back out of this mess.

https://www.businessinsider.com/musk-se ... re-2022-12
Elon Musk is reportedly seeking investors for Twitter at $54.20 a share — the same price he paid for it
Lakshmi Varanasi
Dec 17, 2022, 12:08 AM

Musk's family office is looking for new investors for Twitter, according to Semafor.
New shares of Twitter will be sold at $54.20, the same price Musk paid back in October.
Musk also sold Tesla shares worth $3.6 billion, according to filings from the SEC.

Twitter appears to be struggling. 

Users are leaving in the platform in droves(https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/1 ... took-over/). Key advertisers are disappearing (https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... odus-musk/). And the bills are piling up. 

Now, the company is setting its sights on new investors. According to a report from Semafor, Jared Birchall, the manager for Elon Musk's family office "reached out to potential investors this week."

Birchall is apparently offering shares of Twitter to investors for the price of $54.20 a piece, Semafor reported. That's the same price that Musk paid with his $44 billion takeover of the company in October. 

Since then, he's made a slew of changes like revamping Twitter Blue, the platform's subscription tier. He's laid off significant numbers of workers and is considering not paying severance, according to the New York Times. He's tried to impose strict guidelines on working from the office.

In early December, Musk even erected bedrooms in the company's San Francisco headquarters, seemingly backing his plan to introduce a more "hardcore" culture at Twitter that employees should be working long into the night.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Alienating mainstream advertisers with deep pockets, treating employees like live-in indentured servants or worse, sticcing rabid followers on former executives, giving air to conspiracy theories, talking about "alternatives" for journalists to murder, driving off the leaders and celebrities people follow (e.g., Takei), yeah, that's a business model I sure want to invest in. Sign me up!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:32 pm Alienating mainstream advertisers with deep pockets, treating employees like live-in indentured servants or worse, sticcing rabid followers on former executives, giving air to conspiracy theories, talking about "alternatives" for journalists to murder, driving off the leaders and celebrities people follow (e.g., Takei), yeah, that's a business model I sure want to invest in. Sign me up!
I am totally on board with this business plan!

---
(aside, can you please consider changing your avatar image -- it is way creepy)
Dr. Ken

Twitter

Post by Dr. Ken »

It was inevitable
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
p0rtia

Twitter

Post by p0rtia »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

That was worth sticking with it to the end!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

Oh we all should have seen this coming! :rotflmao:
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:52 pm (aside, can you please consider changing your avatar image -- it is way creepy)
Off Topic
My public lands one disappeared, or I can't find it. Not a Doctor Who fan? Weirdly, one of the things I've learned the production team takes into consideration is the aliens/monsters can't be too scary for children. British children are apparently tough. :shock:
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Twitter

Post by Slarti the White »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:42 pm
neonzx wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:52 pm (aside, can you please consider changing your avatar image -- it is way creepy)
Off Topic
My public lands one disappeared, or I can't find it. Not a Doctor Who fan? Weirdly, one of the things I've learned the production team takes into consideration is the aliens/monsters can't be too scary for children. British children are apparently tough. :shock:
I'm not sure if neon's comment was tongue-in-cheek or not, but if you look at his avatar, you will know that he is most certainly not a fan of the Doctor -- he's a DALEK!
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Slarti the White wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:50 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:42 pm
Off Topic
I'm not sure if neon's comment was tongue-in-cheek or not, but if you look at his avatar, you will know that he is most certainly not a fan of the Doctor -- he's a DALEK!
Off Topic
:lol: Totally missed that. Exterminate!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

I have a Brit friend who was terrified of Dr Who when he was a child. His parents thought it was funny but he was traumatized by those angels.
Dr. Ken

Twitter

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Twitter

Post by poplove »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

NBC News Bars ‘Disinformation’ Reporter Ben Collins from Discussing Elon Musk On-Air

Caroline Downey
Fri, December 16, 2022 at 8:01 PM GMT+1

NBC News barred “disinformation” reporter Ben Collins from discussing Elon Musk on its airwaves out of concern that Collins’s criticisms of the new Twitter CEO crossed the line into personal attacks, according to a new report that comes after Musk suspended a number of prominent reporters from the platform for reporting on his whereabouts.

Collins, who advocates banning disfavored public figures from major tech platforms in much of his writing and on-air commentary, has been barred from talking about Musk on the airwaves of NBC and MSNBC, Semafor reported. The ban comes after Collins spent weeks attacking Musk over his decision to restore the accounts of a number of right-wing influencers and provocateurs, such as Roger Stone and Laura Loomer.

The dictate from NBC executives reportedly came down after Collins ridiculed Musk for failing to realize that Twitter’s deputy general counsel, James Baker, had previously served as general counsel for the FBI.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nbc-news-bar ... 05073.html
(original National Review)
neeneko

Twitter

Post by neeneko »

tek wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:37 pm
It turns out that "abject lesson" is an eggcorn, a special form of malaprop (wrong word usage) caused by two English words sounding about the same in a particular dialect. In this case, the culprit might be Indian English, which pronounces the "a" in "about" and "abject" very much like an "o" sound.
https://owlcation.com/humanities/abject ... ect-lesson
The comments are really worth taking a peek at. People point out that the author has some.. ahm.. flaws in their reasoning and initial data.
Danraft

Twitter

Post by Danraft »

Besides that, in the video he says, “object”…
Kendra

Twitter

Post by Kendra »

Update from the Free Speech Absolutist
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

Danraft wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:00 am Besides that, in the video he says, “object”…
I suspected as much.

But the sound of the word "object" starts (phonetically)(in this context) with the sound "ah".

You realize this is the same mistake as the guy with the sign that says "Get a brain, morans" made. If you asked that dude how he pronounced "morans" he would pronounce the word morons correctly, because it SOUNDED like "morahns" when he was sounding out the spelling of an unfamiliar word.
Katie Porter '28

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”