E. Jean Carroll v. Donald J. Trump and United States of America (poll added!)

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

What will the jury decide?

Trump liable for rape; award of more than a million dollars
63%
Trump liable for rape; award of less than a million dollars
19%
Trump liable for rape; award of one dollar (it's possible!)
3%
Trump not liable for rape or assault
4%
Hung jury, which means mistrial and new trial later
11%

Total votes: 72

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:16 pm Just saw a great Robbie Kaplan interview with Anderson Cooper. She gives her take on the ratio for punative damages--she ways 6:1--and how much TFG will have to cough up for bond in order to appeal--20 percent.
So, he will have to find $16.66 Million dollahs and hand it over before he can even consider dragging this into the stalling via appeal process.

Gosh.

I guess he is gonna be MATCHING YOUR DONATION 5 TIMES OVER a lot in the next few days.

Oh, and for the record, my vote was "Trump liable for rape; award of one dollar (it's possible!)" :bag: :crying:
Hic sunt dracones
much ado

Post by much ado »

How many days does he have to file a notice of appeal?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

much ado wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:53 pm How many days does he have to file a notice of appeal?
Is his lawyer skilled enough to know?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

John Thomas8 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:55 pm
much ado wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:53 pm How many days does he have to file a notice of appeal?
Is his lawyer skilled enough to know?
Well, obviously his skilled Legal team of fighters should know, so there is no need for us to tell them. In case they would be looking everywhere for legal tips, which obviously they would not be, because they are skilled and legal and a team.
Hic sunt dracones
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

60 days if you're the government
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

So much winning!

I guess he can pile this on to the fraud verdict a few years ago for Trump University ($25 million). I remember when it was ongoing, he complained about the "Mexican" judge. He's moaning now about Biden...but nothing about the jury who actually came up with the verdict/amount?

Oh well. He can just sell MAL for $1billion or whatever he said it was worth...he'll have plenty left over to pay whatever Engornon comes up with for his business fraud case.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
much ado

Post by much ado »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:58 pm
What if you're Trump?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

much ado wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:00 pm
What if you're Trump?
You put it on the long finger. *snigger*
Hic sunt dracones
much ado

Post by much ado »

In a related question:

When can E. Jean Carroll start draining Trump's bank accounts?

My understanding is that she just needs a Certificate of Judgement (or something like that) from the Clerk of the Court. And then she takes that to a bank that holds one of Donald's accounts and tells them to give her Trump's money. This is easier if the account is in the State of New York, else she has to get the local state courts to recognize that she holds a valid monetary judgement.

Anyway, I found this helpful guide on how to do it. I have not yet read it in detail...

New York State Unified Court System - Collection Basics

Outside of an appeal, what can Trump do to forestall collection?
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

How fast is trump going to be hiding assets? He's going to have to sell some buildings. Since he can't (probably what Engoron will say, hopefully) do business in NY any more, selling his buildings (or his share in them) will make that income hard to hide (I hope).
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
much ado

Post by much ado »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:17 pm How fast is trump going to be hiding assets? He's going to have to sell some buildings. Since he can't (probably what Engoron will say, hopefully) do business in NY any more, selling his buildings (or his share in them) will make that income hard to hide (I hope).
Engoron appointed a "Monitor", Barbara Jones, to keep him from transferring or hiding assets. My understanding is that she must approve any transactions of that sort.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I reported on Jones’ full letter here: viewtopic.php?p=242312#p242312
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

much ado wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:00 pm
What if you're Trump?
Well, he claims he's the government, right? He should test that assumption at his earliest latest convenience
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:52 pm
p0rtia wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:16 pm Just saw a great Robbie Kaplan interview with Anderson Cooper. She gives her take on the ratio for punative damages--she ways 6:1--and how much TFG will have to cough up for bond in order to appeal--20 percent.
So, he will have to find $16.66 Million dollahs and hand it over before he can even consider dragging this into the stalling via appeal process.

Gosh.

I guess he is gonna be MATCHING YOUR DONATION 5 TIMES OVER a lot in the next few days.

Oh, and for the record, my vote was "Trump liable for rape; award of one dollar (it's possible!)" :bag: :crying:
Shirley he has updated the bestest balance sheets evahhh for his NY trial and Deutsche Bank will gladly approve his loan application. :twisted:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

much ado

Post by much ado »

poplove wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:28 am $20 so far!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/vtgub-donald ... legal-fund
Someone named Jimmy Burke organized it and donated the first $10.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Another awesome Fogbow discussion! Thank you RC, Bob and everybody, it was outstanding, fun and funny.

George Conway gave an amazing, emotional interview about this. It is in the tweet below. If you can't see it, I'll try to find another way to post it, it's that good. He takes it to the Republicans for backing and enabling this sick, malicious liar.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Luke wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:26 am Another awesome Fogbow discussion! Thank you RC, Bob and everybody, it was outstanding, fun and funny.

George Conway gave an amazing, emotional interview about this. It is in the tweet below. If you can't see it, I'll try to find another way to post it, it's that good. He takes it to the Republicans for backing and enabling this sick, malicious liar.
:snippity:
You're welcome Luke. I enjoyed the interview with George Conway. You can see the emotion he has about this. He certainly hooked up EJC with the perfect attorneys to handle her case.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

much ado wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:54 am
If every T voter of 2020 would just give $1 we can reach the final amount in no time... :twisted:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I saw a tweet (or xit or whatever it's called) about the highlighted bit:
Reality Check wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:17 pm AH concludes, rebuttal by EJC attorney Crowley:
Habba: Imagine you are living your life. You have a family, a beautiful wife, and an important job to do. You're hit with an allegations. There are no facts -
Roberta Kaplan: Objection!
Judge Kaplan: Sustained.
The author of the tweet (sorry, can't find it) wrote it is basic trial law that you can't ask a jury to do put themselves in the defendant's position, or at least that's what I think the author said, it was brief and I'm no lawguy.

Is that because the jury should be assessing and evaluating on the facts as testified (or exhibited in evidence), not imagining anything?

The tweeter (or xitter?) said this was a prime example of how Habba is not a good trial lawyer. And someone (here? elsewhere?) mentioned that "ineffective assistance of counsel" is not grounds for appeal in a civil case, it's up to a civil defendant to ensure they have effective counsel who will present their argument well.

I wonder if Trump will pay Habba? Perhaps he'll give her a bunch of trading cards, a few leftover Trump Steaks and an honorary doctorate of Trump University?

Trump is finding out that lawyer-wise "you get what you don't pay for."
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:30 am I saw a tweet (or xit or whatever it's called) about the highlighted bit:
Reality Check wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:17 pm AH concludes, rebuttal by EJC attorney Crowley:
Habba: Imagine you are living your life. You have a family, a beautiful wife, and an important job to do. You're hit with an allegations. There are no facts -
Roberta Kaplan: Objection!
Judge Kaplan: Sustained.
The author of the tweet (sorry, can't find it) wrote it is basic trial law that you can't ask a jury to do put themselves in the defendant's position, or at least that's what I think the author said, it was brief and I'm no lawguy.

Is that because the jury should be assessing and evaluating on the facts as testified (or exhibited in evidence), not imagining anything?
It's called the "Golden Rule" argument.

1. The Golden Rule. Do not ask the jurors to put themselves in the shoes of a party or appeal to the juror’s sense of self protection (the latter is sometimes called the “Reptile Strategy”). See Forrestal v. Magendantz, 848 F.2d 303, 309 (1st Cir. 1988). It is improper to argue “send a message”, Strickland v. Owens Corning, 142 F.3d 353 (6th Cir. 1998), except in a punitive damages case, Settlegoode v. Portland Pub. Schools, 371 F.3d 503, 519 (9th Cir. 2004).

The prohibition against golden rule arguments has been a longstanding feature of the American legal system. A golden rule argument is a “jury argument in which a lawyer asks the jurors to reach a verdict by imagining themselves or someone they care about in the place” of an interested person, such as “the injured plaintiff or crime victim.” Black’s Law Dictionary 761 (9th ed. 2009); Brown v. Parker Drilling Offshore Corp., 410 F.3d 166, 180 (5th Cir. 2005); Minato v. Scenic Airlines, Inc., 908 F.2d 977 (9th Cir. 1990) (unpublished).

The “Reptile Strategy” attempts to appeal to jurors’ concerns about their own safety and the safety of the community, rather than evidence regarding the specific plaintiff in the case. See Retamosa v. Target Corp, 2021 WL 4499236, at 1 (C.D. Cal. May 4, 2021) (citing Sialoi v. City of San Diego, 2016 WL 6092590, at 1 (S.D. Cal. Oct. 18, 2016)).
https://www.fbasd.org/post/objections-d ... g-argument

Also, too "there are no facts" is a blatant misrepresentation of the record. The relevant facts were found by the prior jury.
Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:30 am The tweeter (or xitter?) said this was a prime example of how Habba is not a good trial lawyer. And someone (here? elsewhere?) mentioned that "ineffective assistance of counsel" is not grounds for appeal in a civil case, it's up to a civil defendant to ensure they have effective counsel who will present their argument well.
"Ineffective assistance of counsel" is a concept that derives from the Constitutional right to counsel in criminal proceedings. It has no application to civil actions.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

This is impressive -- and true! I checked Pravda Social.

Luke Johnson 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious 7m
Fact Check: TRUE. Trump hasn't posted E. Jean Carroll's name since the verdict on #PravdaSocial. He can't control himself so he will, but for the moment $83.3M shut him up. Excellent. Keep those judgments coming. His stye: https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump

Quote Ford News @FordJohnathan5 46m
🚨 #BREAKINGNEWS After the decision yesterday regarding punitive damages rewarded to E. Jean Carroll by a jury. Donald Trump found that 83.3 million is now the time to shut up.

Donald Trump for the first time in weeks didn't post on Truth Social regarding E. Jean Carroll. 🚨

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

shit I should have done this I could pay off my student loans

actually, I just reported this
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:31 pm
shit I should have done this I could pay off my student loans

actually, I just reported this
Yes, but the faithful aren't exactly donating to a rando in Houston. Even they may be too smart for that.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”