Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Now 63F going down to 60F. :biggrin:

North Fork will be erecting barriers to keep most of the rest of the country from coming here. ;)

Before the barriers could arrive our favorite niece (from North Carolina) arrived with her family and her son's friend. We got a new roof on the little cottage that Mrs. V owns with her #2 brother (who is favorite niece's father) just in time. (Mrs. V got NOFO roofers to give her next day service. :o Very persuasive woman Mrs. V.) Great nephew and friend are staying with us in the big spare bedroom over the kitchen.

I spent most of Thursday and Friday in hospital (a story for another post) because of some mental confusion on my part on Wednesday but all tests were negative. Must have been the heat. I don't do well when it is hot.

Word to the wise, don't let them give you a diuretic shortly before a contrast MRI. :?

Also avoid hospitals that are 120% full. An ER hallway is no place to spend a night on a gurney. Did observe enough human drama to fill scripts for a whole season of a new medical TV show "North Fork Trauma". ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I’ve been waiting for another medical show to come along. But don’t cross any picket lines - we can wait til the writers and actors strikes are over!

Glad you’re home and feeling better. ERs are no fun even when everything turns out OK.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Feel better soon.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our NC visitors are over at a south shore ocean beach today.

Mrs. V is off rehearsing for her performance at the UU Fellowship on Sunday.

I am having a very quiet afternoon on the porch.

Plumber coming tomorrow to look at leak under the hot water heater so I will be on plumber handler duty.

NC visitors going into Manhattan where it could get up to 95F.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Hottest days of the summer so far. Heat index could reach 103F.

Happily there is a stiff breeze. :thumbsup:

Cool front expected Saturday afternoon.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our NC visitors left on their 12 hour drive home this morning.

Our younger daughter, her husband and their baby are in the air flying up from Texas for a couple of weeks.

It is the height of summer here. Come Wednesday every cottage on the Circle will be occupied.

Our potluck dinner in the Circle is a week from today. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Grandson, who has lived his 4 months of life in an apartment, is just gobsmacked by all the nature here. :biggrin:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:53 am Grandson, who has lived his 4 months of life in an apartment, is just gobsmacked by all the nature here. :biggrin:
I’ll bet!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:53 am Grandson, who has lived his 4 months of life in an apartment, is just gobsmacked by all the nature here. :biggrin:
:biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

After the 3 hottest days so far this summer today is dry and cool. :biggrin:
Of course this has brought out the lawnmowers. :(

The rain which accompanied the cold front last night will encourage the grass to grow.

Clearly this is a conspiracy by Big Lawn interests to enrich themselves at the expense of suburbanites. :mad:

We should stage rebellion! ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

While I finished my breakfast Mrs.V, as is her habit took her iced coffee and her phone and headed out to the lower front porch to Wordle.

When I came out a bit later I found her coffee and phone but she was gone.

Twilight Zone moment. ;)

Soon however she, our daughter, Mrs.V's cousin from the DC area and our grandson in his stroller appeared in the Circle.

Sigh.

Seems like just yesterday that we were pushing our daughters around the Circle in their strollers. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Speaking of strollers, modern strollers are much fancier than those we had when our daughters were little. Like the difference between a Model T and a Town and Country minivan. :o
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:57 am Speaking of strollers, modern strollers are much fancier than those we had when our daughters were little. Like the difference between a Model T and a Town and Country minivan. :o
Don't get me started on dog strollers...
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The morning take baby for a stroll group is gathering. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Turns out that the denizens of the cottage just east of us are all leaving tomorrow. :o

The husband of Mrs. V's cousin there who just arrived Saturday was only down for a long weekend.

Currently he is mowing that property and the Circle using an 18 inch walk behind mower.

No word on who from that branch of the family will be coming next.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V, her DC cousin and our SIL have headed out to the shops partly to get ice cream and cake for my birthday.

Our daughter and grandson are over in the little cottage for naps.

I am on the porch doing the important job of listening to lawnmowers.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

As we rush toward Labor Day time is running out for summer activities.

Overlaps are inevitable.

This week is the fire department carnival in Sag Harbor. Meanwhile the fire department parade in Hampton Bays is tonight.

Good time not to have a fire on the East End. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

As Foggy goes in for more shoulder surgery a brief update of our joint surgeries.

Mrs. V has had both hips replaced the second one just last fall.

Now our favorite niece (one of our NC visitors last week) who was the very young flower girl at our wedding will have a hip replacement later this month.

Needless to say aunt and niece have been talking a lot about how to optimize recovery. :biggrin:

I feel :oldman: . ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Potluck dinner in the Circle day! Weather perfect. Son in law here to lug our picnic table up to the Circle. :thumbsup:

The Oldies station is broadcasting today from a South Fork auto dealership. Negotiate your best deal
then get an additional $500 off!

Still getting late birthday cards. Why do they all have photos of cats on them? :think:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:54 am Still getting late birthday cards. Why do they all have photos of cats on them? :think:
I believe it is empty-nest women thing. Kids are gone and they either get a doggie or a kitty. And the world needs to know them. It's one reason I despise that site nextdoor.com because half the postings are of fur-babies.

:shrug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Quiet Sunday morning on the Circle.

Nice potluck dinner last night. Mrs. V's enchiladas were a hit. Totally eaten. :thumbsup:

Son in law flies home today. Younger daughter and grandson stay another week. Must get SIL to lug down our second table which was used for serving last night. Always have to wait until everyone collects their serving dishes.

My cousin on my father's side is coming down tomorrow for a few days to meet grandson.

The last few weeks as soon as the little cottage gets empty new visitors arrive. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Rainy Monday morning.

Lawns will need mowing in a couple of days. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The back to school sales have begun.

The summer's over........

Meanwhile radio ads continue for spring flowers and plants. Local hardware stores and pharmacies have everything you need for your season in the sun. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

At dinner this evening Mrs. V, our daughter and my cousin from Massachusetts decided to introduce grandson to bleu cheese dressing.

It was a hit!

Of course grandson and daughter now need a bath and a shower respectively. ;)

Oldies station reporting least traffic in weeks. Height of vacation season so folks are staying out for weeks at a time.

Oldies station DJ this evening is playing every summer song he can think of and asking listeners to send in requests.

The East End will not let go of summer easily. ;)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”