Paris Olympics - July 26th to August 11th (did I mention it's in Paris?)

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

GOAT!

Biles took the gold in the all around.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I have been busy, so I am not paying attention, but my thoughts on the opening ceremony:

I expected something a bit weird, arty, and avant-garde, i.e. French (like the Albertville shows). In 2028, I expect overly schmoozy sentimentality, lots of Hollywood, and flashy, i.e. American (remember 1984?).

The ones complaining about the Paris ceremonies are those who only want to stir outrage. It did not matter what was there; the commenters would find it negative because that is what they do. The fake Christians were looking to create outrage. It had zero to do with the "faith".
101010 :towel:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

northland10 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:49 pm I have been busy, so I am not paying attention, but my thoughts on the opening ceremony:

I expected something a bit weird, arty, and avant-garde, i.e. French (like the Albertville shows). In 2028, I expect overly schmoozy sentimentality, lots of Hollywood, and flashy, i.e. American (remember 1984?).

The ones complaining about the Paris ceremonies are those who only want to stir outrage. It did not matter what was there; the commenters would find it negative because that is what they do. The fake Christians were looking to create outrage. It had zero to do with the "faith".
There's that certain segment of "Christians" who view the world through the "Christians are persecuted" lens - and always find ways to prove it.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

3x3 basketball. It’s like a bite size game.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Post by poplove »

Brent Terhune's take on the opening ceremonies.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

3x3 basketball is fun to watch
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

Like Reddog and keith, I am really digging 3 x 3 hoops.

Also women's handball, those ladies are wild athletes!

But I'm just getting started. My lawn needs mowed. I have projects.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:26 pm GOAT!

Biles took the gold in the all around.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Simone Biles Turns 1 Of Donald Trump's Controversial Terms Into A Winning Tweet
The six-time gold medalist isn't holding back this Olympics. Like, at all.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/simone-b ... 291b68c0ac
Simone Biles celebrated her “black job” after winning her second all-around gymnastics gold at the Paris Olympics.

“I love my black job,” the nine-time Olympic medalist wrote on X, formerly Twitter, sharing a tweet from singer Ricky Davila that read: “Simone Biles being the GOAT, winning Gold medals and dominating gymnastics is her black job.”

Former President Donald Trump has injected the term into the public discourse in recent weeks, raising eyebrows with his use of the phrase on multiple occasions. :snippity:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

Wow, Jade Carey. Ferocious. :lovestruck:

And Rebeca Andrade, for that matter. Couple of awesome ladies. It's gotta be hard to even compete with the Amazing Simone.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Have they had the mixed relays long? I don't remember seeing them before and don't remember them in 2020. I think they're super fun and fun to watch.

The 10,000 meters was amazing. They just cruise along for 9.5 kilometers then it looks like a 100 m dash. Those folks are amazing.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Rolodex wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 12:47 am Have they had the mixed relays long? I don't remember seeing them before and don't remember them in 2020. I think they're super fun and fun to watch.
Not for long, possibly not even the previous Olympics. The early versions allowed teams to run in any order but they have settled in M-F-M-F, which means a more bunched race, which is probably better for spectators. I assume (without checking) that that order is mandated because with the free order my impression was that teams preferred a man on the anchor (last) leg.

It is a lollipop event, more so than the single sex relays. It is run early in the program, so runners who fancy their chances in their own solo event might be reluctant to risk injury or fatigue from a (relatively) low prestige event. If it were run at the end, the solo runners would be more enthusiastic about participating, perhaps an opportunity for the medal they didn't win in their solo event.

But that's not a bad thing in my opinion! It gives more athletes an opportunity to compete. And if major teams are less involved it gives minor teams an opportunity to focus on something that becomes achievable.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Great thoughts, Sam! I think it's a great event and have enjoyed watching them!

Seems like there were a million heats for men's 100m!
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Since my brother who is a Yeti coaches for MTeam Fencing, I am contractually bound to watch as much fencing as possible. (Greg Massialas, owner of MTeam Fencing, coaches both men's & women's National & Olympic foil teams.)

The men's foil medal rounds were tense. USA choked and missed out on Bronze, but the Italy/Japan bout for Gold was a joy to watch.
► Show Spoiler
USA took Gold in women's team foil, and individual women's foil was dominated by the Yeti's friend, Lee Kiefer, aka America's Favorite Murder Elf. Lee is engaged to Gerek Meinhardt of the USA men's foil team, another MTeam alumnus.

The Stabby Arts have been well represented in Paris.
Image Image Image Image
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

We have twin grands (boy and girl) and we were helping out with them yesterday. Olympics were on and we watched what we could while chasing kiddos. I told my son that the kids should be enrolled in fencing asap as it would probably be a great scholarship sport (we were talking about their 529 plans LOL). Plus, if they add in playing oboe, they should get a full ride.

How cool to have twins on the Olympic stabby arts team in 2044!
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Rolodex wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 4:41 pm We have twin grands (boy and girl) and we were helping out with them yesterday. Olympics were on and we watched what we could while chasing kiddos. I told my son that the kids should be enrolled in fencing asap as it would probably be a great scholarship sport. Plus, if they add in playing oboe, they should get a full ride.

How cool to have twins on the Olympic stabby sports team in 2044!
The Yeti specializes in the training of larval stabinators. He pretends to not like children, yet, somehow, children do not fear him.

(It's hilarious seeing the Yeti teaching a class of littles; he's 6'3", 265, with a size 15 shoe.)
Image Image Image Image
Whatever4
Verified:

Post by Whatever4 »

I’m now a backstroke fan. :daydreaming:

Gold medalist Thomas Ceccon. Not just a pretty face… there’s the rest of him too. :batting: :lovestruck:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTNVnNs7p/
IMG_3049.png
IMG_3049.png (325.33 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 4:49 pm

The Yeti specializes in the training of larval stabinators. He pretends to not like children, yet, somehow, children do not fear him.

(It's hilarious seeing the Yeti teaching a class of littles; he's 6'3", 265, with a size 15 shoe.)
These are larval stage stabinators for sure; they aren't yet 2 and maybe 24" high. I think I have figured out Christmas presents!
My son was in the navy and has a sword from there but they def aren't ready for that. I think my son would be actually pretty delighted and I know for sure my DIL would love to cheer the stabby arts!
keith

Post by keith »

I'd not be surprised to see my twin niece and nephew competing in skateboarding, surfing, or rock climbing by the next Olympic cycle.

( Isn't rock climbing an Olympic event yet?)
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

About the stabbing arts: there has been a trend in recent years to introduce less formal, more fun, less structured variants of the stuffy, formalized versions of sports and games. Think triathlon, 3x3 basketball, rugby sevens, canoe slalom. And the mixed relays in running and swimming are a nod towards adding a touch of fun.

Fencing looks – to this non-fencer's eyes – role fit such a change. Instead of the balletic prancing to and fro among a poster, something more akin to a real fight. Not necessarily with tables to leap onto and chandeliers to seeing from, but one more like a real contest that continues until a winner emerges.

Is there such a thing? Perhaps kendo approaches it, but that's for heavy Japanese swords, not lighter 18C or so European weapons, like the epee.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

keith wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 1:35 am I'd not be surprised to see my twin niece and nephew competing in skateboarding, surfing, or rock climbing by the next Olympic cycle.

( Isn't rock climbing an Olympic event yet?)
I seem to remember a wall climbing event last time. Maybe it was an exhibition sport? It was really fun to watch. I guess it's rock climbing, but it was a simulated, man-made climbing thing.

Our twins are made for Olympic stories, yeah?
keith

Post by keith »

How 'bout them Fox sisters?

Jessica - Gold C1 Canoe
Jessica - Gold K1 Kayak
Noemie - Gold KX Kayak Cross

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”