Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Assault on the Capitol (DC)

pipistrelle

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:12 pm
MEGGS, sounding distraught, says he doesn't know how he's going to find a new lawyer since he has limited ability to make calls and access internet while incarcerated.

"I can’t even try to defend myself at this point," he said.
:violin:
He can get a competent public defender like anyone else. My guess is a new lawyer buys you more time. But try to get a competent one the first time.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Oh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/08/us/p ... ander.html
Ali Alexander, a prominent organizer of pro-Trump events after the 2020 election, has agreed to cooperate with the Justice Department’s investigation of the attack on the Capitol last year, the first high-profile political figure known to have offered assistance to the government’s newly expanded criminal inquiry.

Speaking through a lawyer, Mr. Alexander said on Friday that he had recently received a subpoena from a federal grand jury that is seeking information on several broad categories of people connected to pro-Trump rallies that took place in Washington after the election.

In a statement from the lawyer, Mr. Alexander said he was taking “a cooperative posture” with the Justice Department’s investigation but did not know what useful information he could give. He also disavowed anyone who took part in or planned violence on Jan. 6.

While it remains unclear what Mr. Alexander might tell the grand jury, he was intimately involved in the sprawling effort to mount political protests challenging the results of the election, and had contacts with other organizers, extremist groups, members of Congress and, according to the House committee investigating Jan. 6, White House officials during the period after Election Day.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Alexander spins it differently. Go figure.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

US Capitol riot prosecution of Jeff McKellop includes some of the highest-level accusations of assault against police

From court filing this week ===>
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

In letter seeking leniency, friend of Jan 6 defendant Jean Lavin of Connecticut says Lavin has suffered from "sleeplessness, hopelessness" "unwanted harassing phone calls" and "repeated episodes of reporters setting up cameras in front of her home"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:confuzzled: but didn't mind the publicity of showing up a the Capitol?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

They sent the court a letter in Comic Sans???
much ado

Post by much ado »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:01 pm They sent the court a letter in Comic Sans???
This article is kind of fun...

How Comic Sans Became the World’s Most Notorious Font
While Comic Sans may be appropriate for an elementary school project or a Beanie Baby’s heart-shaped tag, it lacks gravity. So when the font began to appear on defibrillators, warning signs, and even tombstones, typographers were aghast.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Kendra wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:18 pm
In letter seeking leniency, friend of Jan 6 defendant Jean Lavin of Connecticut says Lavin has suffered from "sleeplessness, hopelessness" "unwanted harassing phone calls" and "repeated episodes of reporters setting up cameras in front of her home"
She decided to [expletive deleted] around, now she gets to find out... :violin:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Society has rightly judged her actions with appropriate consequences. Now the legal system should do the same.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Jan 6 defendant seeks leniency.. and includes this passage in memo to court ====>
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

So the woman who went the wrong way on an Interstate and killed a person, wants leniency because her uncle and his friend made her storm the Capitol?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Azastan wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:05 pm So the woman who went the wrong way on an Interstate and killed a person, wants leniency because her uncle and his friend made her storm the Capitol?
If her uncle and his friend jumped off a bridge....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:49 am New rule: “fair trial” means the trial must take place at least four states away from the scene of the crime.
Another high-profile Jan 6 defendant is seeking to transfer his case outta DC and into his home area (Iowa)

Doug Jensen

He argues he can't receive a fair trial. "Anyone living in the DC was less than 7.5 miles away from the events that occurred at the US Capitol on January 6"
Turns out Q-nutjob Doug Jensen came in voluntarily for an interview Jan. 8th. He appears to have been convinced tfg was staying in power and there wouldn't be any consequences for his actions. Oops.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 69.1_1.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Link to Jensen's FBI interview from Jan 8 2021.

I've read about a third of it, and so far have gone from incredulous to infuriated to pitying.

All I can say is, the human mind is a mystery, and reality isn't a river in Egypt.

:pickle:
raison de arizona

p0rtia wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:21 pm Link to Jensen's FBI interview from Jan 8 2021.

I've read about a third of it, and so far have gone from incredulous to infuriated to pitying.

All I can say is, the human mind is a mystery, and reality isn't a river in Egypt.

If you remember, he was the chief lead butthead that Officer Goodman managed to lead away from the Congress critters. Here's some footage from that.
► Show Spoiler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sucks to be you, Doug.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Opening arguments start today in the trial of Dustin Thompson. It's courtroom-only, and I won't be there today, so no updates from me.
Elsewhere in the Prettyman Courthouse, jury selection is getting underway for Dustin Thompson. His attorney argued for months that he should be able to call Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani as witnesses, but Judge Walton shut that plan down last week.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

STANDBY: In court next hour..... Bigo Barnett .. in his high-profile Jan 6 case

Barnett is the man accused of putting his feet on desk in the office suite of Speaker Nancy Pelosi
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:21 pm Link to Jensen's FBI interview from Jan 8 2021.

I got a few pages in, then realized how long it is. I was amused when he asked if they were FBI since they seemed unaware of the awesomeness of Q. They were clearly drawing him out. He also mentions losing friends and family. The mind boggles so much.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

New: Richard Barnett has REJECTED the plea offer from US Justice Dept.

Defense says the offer would've meant 70-81 months in jail guidelines range (approx. 6 years) Defense says it wasn't "reasonable"

Sept. 6 trial date is looming
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:07 pm

I got a few pages in, then realized how long it is. I was amused when he asked if they were FBI since they seemed unaware of the awesomeness of Q. They were clearly drawing him out. He also mentions losing friends and family. The mind boggles so much.
Yeah, the FBI dudes are very good, I thought.

He goes on and on with the stream-of-consciousness. They don't ask him much (at least as far as I've read), he just tells them about himself and about how he was radicalized and what he believes. Occasionally he wonders if something particularly nuts is true or not (think JFK being alive), but mostly he seems to have no idea that what he is believing in is crackers.

Then he drops it in passing that he was in in the foster system his entire childhood, and was molested for most of that time, then he goes back to talking Q.

You get a bird's eye view of why someone might have no critical skills at all when it comes to identifying the truth.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yeah, I have to say I went through all kinds of emotions reading the transcript too. His life story is sad; there are perhaps millions like him in our country.

When we adopted our Sprout it by was a process, long and thorough. We had an FBI background check, filled out reams of forms, questionnaires that asked our views on a myriad of parenting issues. We used to joke, but it’s not really a joke, that if all parents had to go through what we did, there’d be a lot fewer kids in the world. This poor guy, probably, for one.

Doug talks in that weird, ADD stream of consciousness that trump uses, too. It’s like he can’t finish a thought.

I think we’re doomed. :?
raison de arizona

Trump 'authorized' assault on Capitol, Jan. 6 defendant argues at trial
An attorney for Dustin Thompson argued that "vulnerable" people like his client "believed the lies that were fed to them" by Trump.

An attorney for a man who took a coat rack and a bottle of liquor during the U.S. Capitol attack argued to a jury Tuesday that former President Donald Trump "authorized" the assault on the building on Jan. 6, 2021, by convincing "vulnerable" people like his client that the election had been stolen.
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... -rcna24118
raison de arizona

Soldier Who Was First Service Member Charged After Jan. 6 Riot Is Being Removed from the National Guard

A Virginia National Guardsman who pleaded guilty on charges related to his role in storming the U.S. Capitol with the pro-Trump mob on Jan. 6, 2021, is being removed from the service component.

Jacob Fracker pleaded guilty in March to a federal conspiracy charge, according to the Department of Justice. He served as an infantryman, assigned to the 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 29th Infantry Division.

Fracker was arrested on several charges a week after the attack on the Capitol, which was aimed at preventing the largely ceremonial certification of President Joe Biden's 2020 victory. In the 15 months since, Fracker has not been allowed to perform any military duties but remained serving, a National Guard spokesperson said.

"Now that his civilian charges have been adjudicated, the process has started for an administrative separation from the Virginia Army National Guard," Alfred Puryear, a spokesperson for the Virginia Guard, told Military.com in an emailed statement.
:snippity:
https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... guard.html

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”