Democrats Behaving Badly

AndyinPA

Re: Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 pm
How much of an investigation is Roy Moore owed? What about Trent Franks?
When did they ask for one? Al Franken did right up front.

I don't think Moore wants one; Paul Ryan decided Franks wouldn't get one.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 pm

This is a former Republican Governor of Minnesota - for whom I crossed party lines and voted for.

Ex-GOP Governor Calls For Franken's Reinstatement After ‘Absence Of Anything Resembling Due Process’
Former Minnesota Gov. Arne Carlson (R) has called on Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) not to resign his Senate seat over sexual harassment allegations until he can receive “due process” from the Ethics Committee.

“Being a victim can be painful but the answer to an injustice cannot be to create another injustice,” Carlson writes. “I am deeply troubled by the resignation of Al Franken and the complete absence of anything resembling due process.”

“It is time for all of us to sober up,” he insists. “While I am not always in agreement with Senator Al Franken, I firmly believe in due process which is a cornerstone of our democratic way of living. Whenever in history we abandoned it, we severely damaged ourselves.”

“The simple fact is that Al Franken has been the Senate’s most effective challenge to Trump and his subordinates,” Carlson concludes. “The possibility of any rigging by Roger Stone and his associates should cause all of us to call for a rescinding of the Franken resignation and a prompt and thorough review of all allegations by the Senate Ethics Committee.”

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Thom Hartman had one of his quick call-in polls today. There were about 20 calls. Callers only had to answer "Stay" or "Go." All but two said stay, and the two who said go only said it conditionally.

GhostOfSolomon

Post by GhostOfSolomon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:20 am

Here is an interesting thread claiming the Franken image is photoshopped. I am no photoshop expert, anyone here can provide some insight on what he is saying?

One must not accept any doctrine from reverence, but first try it as gold is tried by fire.

#IngloriousBastard
#Wolverine

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:44 am

Photoshop has many non-nefarious uses, particularly for professional photographers, and this would likely have been even more true in 2007-2009 than today. (For example, I'll use Photoshop for things like HDR merges and stitching panoramas together from multiple frames.)

To the extent that Photoshop was used on the image, it was likely to improve brightness/contrast, crop, and make other normal corrections (like repairing red-eye and removing sensor dust spots). Had the image been "Photoshopped" in the sense of actually moving Franken into or within the image, there should be far more evidence than just the metadata. In particular, there should be evidence around Franken's outline, particularly given the state of the art in 2009.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:28 pm

And didn’t Franken actually cop to the picture? I thought he said he remembered the picture being taken, but he was just funnin’. And I thought he said it was the backstage and counter with the kiss that he remember differently.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Wasn't this said to be on the way home? (It's getting hard to remember all the details.) Why would she be wearing a flack jacket on the plane home?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:39 pm

I skimmed through the guy's Twitter thread. I'm 95%+ sure that he's going so far down the rabbit hole that he's likely to exit in the antipodes. I see little to no evidence that he has a background in or understanding of photography in general, let alone the photo forensics website he tried to use or the changes in the state of the art since 2009.

And, of course, it's apparent that the photo in question was modified in at least one regard - it's been cropped. Given the camera used, the original image would have had a 3:2 aspect ratio; the image we see is approximately square. That's almost certainly irrelevant to the core message of the picture. (I don't know about you, but aside from someone with a gun pointed at Franken's head, I can't think of any exculpatory information that would likely be contained in a cropped-out bit.)

Even today, transplanting Franken into that photo skillfully enough to pass casual examination would probably be a technological challenge. In 2009, getting the transplant right - shadow and all - would have been extremely difficult, particularly given Franken's hairstyle and the slightly fuzzy shirt he's wearing in the picture. That's almost equally true for the challenges involved in photoshopping her in - the shadow on her armor is very hard.

Eyeballing the EXIF, the image looks like it's a crop of the edge of a slightly larger picture. The lighting looks appropriate for an on-camera flash, and the slightly-grainy look on things is appropriate for an ISO in the 4000s. Both the use of the flash and the high ISO (to compensate for dim lighting) are appropriate to a dimly-lit military flight.

And as far as his use of the fotoforensics thing goes, here's something taken directly from their website - "Similarly, saving a JPEG with an Adobe product will automatically sharpen high-contrast edges and textures, making them appear much brighter than low-texture surfaces."

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:46 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm
Wasn't this said to be on the way home? (It's getting hard to remember all the details.) Why would she be wearing a flack jacket on the plane home?
I think she said it was right after a gig, and she was too tired to take off her helmet and flak jacket before sitting down and falling immediately asleep.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:46 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
I think she said it was right after a gig, and she was too tired to take off her helmet and flak jacket before sitting down and falling immediately asleep.
Yeah, but they’re on the plane.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:48 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:46 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Yeah, but they’re on the plane.
I'm fairly sure from past conversations with my wife that wearing armor while crossing the flight line to the aircraft was a standard precaution.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Edited to hide, because my friend doesn't need the exposure. Giving it more thought, she's been behaving the past couple of years the way my fundie brother has been - increasingly angry and belligerent, just mad at the world. It got my brother into trouble where he works, and it's gotten her into trouble where she works, too. When my brother did the crazy thing at work (they insisted he give them a phone number that they could reach him at, he became enraged, pulled out his cell phone, threw it to the ground, stamped it to pieces, and said, "There. I now have NO PHONE for you to reach me at.") we all knew he'd gone 'round the bend. I think my friend has, too.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:16 pm

That's actually very sad.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:46 pm

I’m not being facetious or glib here: our modern society can do that to a person. There are many things about our culture that can just flatten people who aren’t equipped to deal with them. The culture wars, ginned up controversy to divide us so we can’t band together to stop the Shock Doctrine that’s happening right now. It’s been building for a while, non?

I hope your friend doesn’t do anything about her Franken delusion. She’s liable to be further crushed.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

GhostOfSolomon

Post by GhostOfSolomon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:07 pm

One must not accept any doctrine from reverence, but first try it as gold is tried by fire.

#IngloriousBastard
#Wolverine

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:56 am

WaPo
Failed Va. congressional candidate accused of fraud

A former Democratic candidate for Congress in Virginia is accused of stealing money from a federally funded school nutrition program years ago.

Shaun Brown, 58, was indicted Wednesday by a federal grand jury in Norfolk on charges of wire fraud and theft of government property. The scheme lasted at least nine months in 2012, according to the indictment, and involved more than $400,000 in fraudulent reimbursements.

According to the indictment, Brown worked in 2011 and 2012 for a nonprofit called JOBS Community Outreach Development Corp. that worked with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Summer Food Service Program to provide meals to low-income children during school breaks. Prosecutors say that Brown and others directed employees to fill out fake forms inflating the number of meals served and would then pocket the extra funds.

Brown, who owns an export firm, ran a largely self-financed campaign against now-Rep. Scott W. Taylor (R) last year for the 2nd Congressional District seat vacated by Scott Rigell (R) and lost by a 23-point margin. Democrat Ralph Northam beat Republican Ed Gillespie in the district on his way to winning last month’s gubernatorial election, and Democrats are expected to target the seat more aggressively next year. Brown told the Virginian-Pilot in July that she plans to run again; at least three other Democrats are competing in the primary.

¡Qué vergüenza!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:03 am

There's a Democratic groundswell of opposition to Sen. Gillbrand, who can kiss her future political ambitions goodbye. All thanks to her attack on Al Franken, who was a good senator and badly needed by the Dems. Replacing him with a political nobody who's unlikely to be re-elected was not a win for women, even though his replacement is female herself.

Major donor reconsiders support for Democrats who urged Franken to quit
A prominent donor to the Democratic Party says she is considering withdrawing support for senators who urged their colleague Al Franken to resign after he was accused of sexual misconduct.

The donor, Susie Tompkins Buell, has been one of the Democratic Party’s most generous supporters for decades. In particular, she has been a champion of female politicians, including Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Maria Cantwell of Washington.

Last month, those senators were among the dozens who called for Franken to resign from the Senate after at least six women accused him of sexual harassment or misconduct, such as forcible kissing and groping.
:snippity:
“In my gut they moved too fast,” she wrote. Franken “was never given his chance to tell his side of the story.”

“For me, this is dangerous and wrong,” she added. “I am a big believer in helping more women into the political system but this has given me an opportunity to rethink of how I can best help my party...As for Gillibrand, unfortunately, I believe she miscalculated and has shot herself in the foot. I have supported her for many years. Will I going forward? To be determined.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:50 pm

New York Daily News
Brooklyn pol Pamela Harris charged with spending federal, state money on lavish trips and lingerie ...

The Brooklyn politician was charged Tuesday with turning the nightmare aftermath of Hurricane Sandy into a money-making scheme by lying about the damage to her Brooklyn home.

Harris looted tens of thousands of dollars in state and federal funds in several scams — and then tried to cover up her crimes, according to a newly-unsealed federal indictment.

The politician spent $10,000 of her ill-gotten gains on vacation getaways, covering airline and cruise tickets for the politician and her husband, officials charged. ...

She was arrested Tuesday morning and was expected to make a federal court appearance for arraignment later in the day. Authorities said her looting of government funds went on from 2012 through 2017. ...

Last year, when she became aware of the investigation, the elected official went to friends with a request that they lie to FBI agents, the indictment charged.

Harris, 57, could face up to 30 years in prison if convicted of the top count in her 11-count indictment. She was charged with wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, making false statements, bankruptcy fraud, witness tampering and conspiracy to obstruct justice.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:05 am

Miami Herald
Hallandale Beach mayor accepted illegal checks from Russians, prosecutors say

Joy Cooper knew the value of her political power.

On a summer day in 2012, the Hallandale Beach mayor met in her City Hall office with two men she thought were wealthy landowners from California as well as a close acquaintance, South Florida attorney and lobbyist Alan Koslow.

The landowners — FBI agents working undercover — would help finance Cooper’s re-election run. In return, she would push their construction project through the city commission. ...

Cooper went on to win re-election in November 2012, after soliciting and receiving thousands of dollars that state prosecutors now say were illegal campaign contributions. Cooper, 57, who had served as mayor since 2005, was suspended by Gov. Rick Scott on Friday after she was charged with campaign finance violations, official misconduct and money laundering.

Cooper was released on a $12,000 bond Thursday as she awaits trial. Her defense attorney said the state’s case — turned over by the FBI to Broward prosecutors last year — was flawed because it was ultimately built upon the cooperation of Koslow. He’s now a fallen attorney who pleaded guilty to an unrelated federal money-laundering charge in 2016 and helped investigators make the case against Cooper.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:59 pm

A Democratic "Rob Porter" story ?
Dem Senator Who Hit Ex-Wife Sits Out Rob Porter Abuse Scandal
Delaware's Tom Carper admitted to giving his ex-wife black eye

BY: Brent Scher February 9, 2018 4:15 pm

Delaware senator Tom Carper, a Democrat who has admitted to hitting his ex-wife hard enough to give her a black eye, will not be commenting on the scandal surrounding spousal abuse by now-resigned White House official Rob Porter.

The accusations from Porter's two ex-wives of domestic abuse, which were bolstered by a photograph of one of them with a black eye she says was caused by Porter, was the top political story this week in Washington, D.C. Carper, however, has been silent.

"We do not have a comment on Porter," said a Carper spokesperson.

The Delaware Democrat first faced accusations of domestic abuse back in 1982 during his first run for Congress, but he called the accusation "without basis in fact" and prevailed in the election.

In a 1998 interview reported on late last year by the Washington Free Beacon, however, Carper admitted it was true all along.

"Did I slap my wife 20 years ago? Yes," Carper told Delaware reporter Celia Cohen. "Do I regret it? Yes. Would I do it again? No."

The story Carper initially called "totally false" was based on a 1981 court deposition that included Carper admitting to giving his now-deceased first wife "some discoloration of her left eye and some puffiness."

http://freebeacon.com/politics/dem-sena ... e-scandal/

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:13 am

:nope: :hang:

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:13 pm

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2 ... 398440002/

Nashville Mayor Megan Barry resigns from office as part of guilty plea to felony theft charge

Nashville Mayor Megan Barry resigned on Tuesday amid a sex scandal involving her former head of security, a stunning fall from power for a leader who was once among Tennessee's brightest political stars.
Barry, a Democrat, announced her resignation at a packed morning news conference at the mayor's office. It came after she pleaded guilty in court a half-hour earlier as part of a negotiated agreement with District Attorney Glenn Funk to felony theft over $10,000 related to her affair with her former police bodyguard.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:17 pm

$20 porn-unblocking fee could hit Internet users if state bill becomes law
State legislation pending in Rhode Island would force Internet service providers to block "sexual content" by default and charge a one-time fee of $20 to any Internet user who wants to view porn or other "offensive material" online. ISPs would have to hand the money they collect over to the state so it can "help fund the operations of the council on human trafficking."

The bill was introduced on Thursday by Democratic state Senators Frank Ciccone and Hanna Gallo and is titled "An Act Relating to Public Utilities and Carriers—Internet Digital Blocking."

Given the state's definition of sexual content, the Ciccone/Gallo bill would force ISPs to block pretty much all pornography, even if it was performed by consenting adults and violates no law.

Separately, the proposed requirement to block "patently offensive material" would include any material that is "so offensive on its face as to affront current standards of decency."

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:24 pm

:thumbs:

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:49 pm

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Return to “Congress”