Train Wreck - Train Derailment

Azastan

Re: Train Wreck - Train Derailment

Post by Azastan »

Mr Pfister wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:32 pm
It's become painfully obvious to me that this engineer simply doofused his way off the end of that track. He had one job to do, and that was to not fuck up while driving a fucking train.

It makes no sense to me that a 80-> 30 MPH transition was not something that was front and center in everyone's mind that day.

I've looked at the route for Amtrak 501, and there are several spots along the way where there are what appear to be rather tricky spots where the train would need to slow down, such as the 90 degree bend going into Napavine. Check out the excruciatingly tight bends to get into Union Station in Portland :eek2: .

I think the engineer was trying to make up time (they left 10 minutes late from Seattle) and figured he could press his luck and get away with it.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Chilidog wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:29 am
Railroad union hearsay alleges that the two locomotive engineers lost track of where they were because much — if not all — previous route qualification training had taken place at night when busy freight railroad traffic could accommodate the luxury of a non-revenue passenger train on multiple training runs. As a result, on the maiden run the two engineers had difficulty associating daytime landmarks with their ever-changing location.
So the same basic problem that caused the philly derailment, engineers dependent on memory and situational awareness rather than having signs and systems that let them know what they should be doing.... losing track of where they are relative to speed limits.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Wasn't he training another engineer? Maybe they were chatting or the one guy was showing the other something and they plain old missed the sign? I wouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as that.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

neeneko wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:04 pm
So the same basic problem that caused the philly derailment, engineers dependent on memory and situational awareness rather than having signs and systems that let them know what they should be doing.... losing track of where they are relative to speed limits.
The are mile markers on every mile of track and these have additional markers every quarter mile in-between. If the engineer and conductor are paying attention they should know exactly where they are, regardless of other landmarks. I would think their route guide would have the speed limits relative to mile markers listed. Someone just wasn’t paying attention.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

More on the training
Amtrak has said it trained employees on the new route, but Hiatt says the training was done at night and some crew were put in the rear locomotive, facing backward.
http://kgmi.com/news/007700-law-firm-in ... to-safety/

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:31 pm
More on the training
Amtrak has said it trained employees on the new route, but Hiatt says the training was done at night and some crew were put in the rear locomotive, facing backward.
http://kgmi.com/news/007700-law-firm-in ... to-safety/
Again, it was still dark when the train derailed, since sunrise that day was around 7.52 am, and train derailed at 7.30 am. That is really not much of an excuse. Some crew? Does that mean the engineers were in the rear locomotive? They didn't get switched around so that everyone could see the route?

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

My take on this is that the engineers are afraid that eventually, their jobs are going to be phased out

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:40 pm
My take on this is that the engineers are afraid that eventually, their jobs are going to be phased out
Well this is one of the ways to ensure that result.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I think it usually takes close to a year before a final report with as many of the answers as possible will be known. There's certainly nothing about why here.

https://www.narprail.org/happening-now/ ... line-1048/
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) released a preliminary report on the Amtrak Cascades derailment in DuPont, WA and said that the accident could have been prevented through the use of Positive Train Control (PTC), a technology that can remotely monitor, slow and stop trains that are speeding.

The report said, “In this accident, PTC would have notified the engineer of train 501 about the speed reduction for the curve; if the engineer did not take appropriate action to control the train’s speed, PTC would have applied the train brakes to maintain compliance with the speed restriction and to stop the train.”

The NTSB previously said that the passenger train was moving at 78 mph in a 30 mph zone around a curve. The excessive speed saw Amtrak train 501 jump the tracks and derail, resulting in the deaths of three passengers, including RPA members Jim Hamre and Zack Willhoite.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

NBC News

@NBCNews

Engineer in deadly Amtrak crash mistook signal ahead of curve
http://
nbcnews.to/2rDmU7B
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

So very sad. I have to say that the engineer's account seems inconsistent:
The conductor, 48, said at the time of the accident he was looking down at copies of track bulletins and "he then heard the engineer say or mumble something. He then looked up and sensed that the train was becoming 'airborne,'" the NTSB said in the summary.
"The engineer said that he did see the wayside signal at milepost 19.8 (at the accident curve) but mistook it for another signal, which was north of the curve," the agency said in an update.

"He said that as soon as he saw the 30 mph sign at the start of the curve, he applied brakes. Seconds later, the train derailed as it entered the curve," the NTSB said. The engineer allegedly told investigators he planned to start braking about one mile before the curve.
From the NBC News article linked above.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/28/us/amtrak ... 24PMVODtop
Workers say they warned Amtrak before deadly crash

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

NBC News

@NBCNews

JUST IN: Train carrying congressional Republicans to GOP retreat in West Virginia has hit a vehicle, according to source on train -
http://
NBCNews.com

10:36 AM - Jan 31, 2018

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

This is much more likely to be the fault of the trash truck driver. And it seems like there were not serious injuries, possibly other than the trash truck driver.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Yeah the headline as quoted by Thomas Jefferson: „GOP politics heading to a train crash“ :blackeye:

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

I hope nobody was seriously hurt. That said:

Congressional Republicans were literally in a literal train wreck with a literal garbage truck. That's.........I mean......
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Mikedunford wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:54 pm
I hope nobody was seriously hurt. That said:

Congressional Republicans were literally in a literal train wreck with a literal garbage truck. That's.........I mean......
Reports are that there was a fatality on/in the garbage truck. But yes, the headlines are beyond ironic.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I note it never says where they were going to the retreat (or Iv'e not seen it), only that it's in West Virginia. I'm going to take a guess that it's The Greenbriar, a very expensive resort in WV. The train goes right by the resort.

And, yes, there does seem to be some karma here for the republicans!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/31/politics ... index.html
A train carrying members of Congress -- including House Speaker Paul Ryan -- to their legislative retreat in West Virginia hit a truck Wednesday, multiple sources told CNN, leaving at least one person dead.
Multiple sources said that all members of Congress on the train and their families were OK, with the exception of a few minor injuries. White House press secretary Sarah Sanders confirmed in a statement that there was at least one fatality from the collision, though it was unclear who that was.
Another site said that it was the driver that was killed. The men on the truck are most likely to be the ones killed. This is, unfortunately, probably the most common train accident. It's usually because the driver of the vehicle tried to race the train.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

King survived. :crying:
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/le ... na-n844501
An Amtrak train traveling from New York to Miami collided with a CSX freight train early Sunday morning in Lexington County, South Carolina, causing the lead engine and some passenger cars to derail.

Officials confirmed there were at least two people killed and 70 injured among the 139 passengers and 8 crew.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Drumpf sent his thoughts and prayers. For real.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 am
More likely some minion sent them on his behalf.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 am
He did. I'd rather know what he's going to do about keeping Americans safe, what is this now three deadly accidents in two months?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Seems that CSX switched the Amtrak train to the wrong track. This mistake may have been compounded by the Amtrak train then missing a signal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/04/us/a ... olina.html
The CSX train was stationary, and appeared to be on the correct track, Gov. Henry McMaster said at a news conference on Sunday. “It appears that Amtrak was on the wrong track,” he said. CSX operates the track, according to its online system map.

:snippity:

While it was too early to speculate as to what might have happened, “it appears that one or the other of the trains failed to obey a signal,” Steven Ditmeyer, an industry consultant and former federal railroad official, said in a phone interview on Sunday.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Amtrak again.

Amtrak train breaks apart at 125 mph

https://nypost.com/2018/02/06/amtrak-tr ... SocialFlow
A high-speed Amtrak train bound for Penn Station broke apart as it was moving at top speed through Maryland.
The 2150 Acela was traveling from Washington D.C. to the Big Apple when the incident happened at about 11:20 a.m. The train was traveling at about 125 mph, according to the source.

“Someone could have been walking through the train when that happened and fell to their death,” said the source.

A photo shows the connector between two coupled trains broken and separated.

Amtrak officials confirmed the incident, but didn’t immediately have details.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”