Joe Biden Gets Lucky Again!

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Joe Biden Gets Lucky Again!

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/will-smith-r ... e456ff0013
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Will Smith resigned Friday from the motion picture academy following his Oscars night slap of Chris Rock and said he would accept any further punishment the organization imposed.

Smith in a statement released Friday afternoon he would “accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate. I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable.
I don't really have a problem with this. I would have had a problem with them taking his Oscar back.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yeah, and he has risen slightly in my esteem. This is the most sincere apology I can remember from a public figure in a long time.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:45 pm Will Smith is a piece of garbage and I’ve watched the last work of his I ever will. Same goes for Denzel Washington and the other degenerates that leaped to comfort him.
Will Smith refused to leave the Oscars after slapping Chris Rock, academy says

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Wednesday that Will Smith was asked to leave the Oscars ceremony after he slapped Chris Rock — but Smith refused.
:snippity:
What an entitled asshole, Suranis is right!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... s-refused/
There seems to be a lot of confusion on this point. Apparently, after it was first reported, several people contacted Variety and another fairly big entertainment mag whose name escapes me at the moment, and said that Will wasn't asked to leave. I also heard reported on MSNBC last night that Smith himself was not asked to leave directly. Someone spoke to a representative of his about him leaving and the representative said that Smith wanted to stay so he could apologize.

I'm glad to see him resign from the Academy. I'm sure part of it is in hopes that they'll take this as appropriate contrition and not strip him of his Oscar, but I hope it's mostly sincere.

Some other interesting discussion I've seen talked about how there are 5 people who've been kicked from the Academy - 4 for sexual misbehavior and 1 for selling screeners (Bill Cosby, Roman Polanski and Harvey Weinstein are 3 of them, the other 2 I'd never heard of) - but none of them were stripped of any of their Oscars, so there's apparently some sense that that might be too harsh, though none of those people committed their offenses on-stage and during an international broadcast. I'm split as to what I think about whether they should take his Oscar or not, honestly.

What I'm not split on is that Smith won't be getting any more of my money - nor Chris Rock for that matter, though he's never gotten much from me to begin with.
filly

Post by filly »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:51 pm Yeah, and he has risen slightly in my esteem. This is the most sincere apology I can remember from a public figure in a long time.
Yes his flak who wrote it was very sincere.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Yes, most excellent lawyering.
Hic sunt dracones
Lani

Post by Lani »

Jade has spoken about alopecia in several magazines and the freedom she felt. For example:
“He loves it,” Pinkett Smith gushed about her spouse during a September 2021 episode of Red Table Talk after she shaved her head. “It was just time. I was just ready for that kind of expression and release. I’m so glad I did it. It was such a beautiful experience and such a freedom. I feel more connected to myself and to the great diving in a very special way. I was just like, ‘I’m over it.’ It was that moment. I was just like, ‘I’m done. I’m just done with the worry. I’m done with the care. I’m just done.’”
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-ne ... husband-3/

I think her husband has a problem, not her.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well she was not amused Oscar night, gushing interview or not.
Hic sunt dracones
Lani

Post by Lani »

Suranis wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:38 am Well she was not amused Oscar night, gushing interview or not.
May be she was worried about her husband.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:41 am
Suranis wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:38 am Well she was not amused Oscar night, gushing interview or not.
May be she was worried about her husband.
Or maybe she just doesn't like being the butt of jokes in front of millions of people.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I hate this title
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:13 pm I hate this title
Yeah.. I get the joke, but there is some real weight behind this event and framing it as 'here is how it centres the white guy!' is kinda tasteless, esp given how much 'white people do not see what the big deal is' is involved.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

neeneko wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:13 pm
Yeah.. I get the joke, but there is some real weight behind this event and framing it as 'here is how it centres the white guy!' is kinda tasteless, esp given how much 'white people do not see what the big deal is' is involved.
:roll:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

neeneko wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:13 pm Yeah.. I get the joke, but there is some real weight behind this event and framing it as 'here is how it centres the white guy!' is kinda tasteless, esp given how much 'white people do not see what the big deal is' is involved.
What? :confuzzled:
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Smith is barred from attending the Oscars for 10 years, sez Academy.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lansdowne

Post by Lansdowne »

filly wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:34 pm
neeneko wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:13 pm
Problem with this title is, it contains no hint what the actual subject matter is. Anyone in three months or three years looking for threads about Joe Biden will find this one and click it, even though it contains nothing about the man himself. Thread starter gets to edit it is my understanding.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock
But what really offends me
Is a thread title

Image Image Image Image

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”