Hijack This Thread

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

A bit more on the plots and the reason for my frustration with our sales group:

The Google Earth image above showing mostly yellow is from the Gresham-Barlow SD build a few years ago. It's the First Student bus yard at Hogan and Palmquist. You can see the buses parked in the lot on the east side, with the dispatch center, maintenance barns, and additional parking on the west side. One of the places we want the best signal possible was predicted to be 95% poor service.

Nobody wanted to hear it. They didn't want to present it to the customer. They didn't even want to propose it as Phase II for the next budget cycle. I was ignored. But! Boy oh boy did they howl when it came true.

The dispatchers were frustrated. Our sales mgmt forgot the first rule of system coverage - it has to work in their driveway. They wanted me to find a hat to pull a rabbit out of it. Sorry. No hats. No rabbits. This was cut from the project as cost prohibitive.

We can add it back in. Sales had to take it out of their margin, not mine, to fix. But, that's still a hit on the overall company margin that we could have avoided if we had allowed the customer to make the call where to allocate resources, and what to plan for.

This is why I make these models.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

bill_g wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:40 am This is why I make these models.
It’s not just poots, trumpistas, sov cuts, and other obviously delusional people who, ignore inconvenient facts. My time in IT was constantly plagued by wishful thinking. I hope you get enough “satisfaction” from doing what you know is professional and right. (P.S. Saw your post on the Bundy thread; this kind of “plagiarism” cum laziness seems to have become more common since the internet made so much useful information readily available). :smoking:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Shannon Ballman wrote: During World War II, fighter planes would come back from battle with bullet holes. The Allies found the areas that were most commonly hit by enemy fire. They sought to strengthen the most commonly damaged parts of the planes to reduce the number that was shot down.

A mathematician, Abraham Wald, pointed out that perhaps there was another way to look at the data. Perhaps the reason certain areas of the planes weren't covered in bullet holes was that planes that were shot in those areas did not return. This insight led to the armor being re-enforced on the parts of the plane where there were no bullet holes.

The story behind the data is arguably more important than the data itself. Or more precisely, the reason behind why we are missing certain pieces of data may be more meaningful than the data we have. Don’t only listen to what is being said. Listen more to what is not being said.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
June bug

Post by June bug »

Fascinating idea - thanks for sharing it, r d!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Ohhh.... there is a good story for a fundraising data analyst to consider (and repeat often).
101010 :towel:
tek

Post by tek »

meanwhile, in the things-you-didn't-know-you-needed department:
marketbasket_tunes.jpg
marketbasket_tunes.jpg (197.62 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

It is April Fools Day. Already I have seen a couple of dubious news stories and one story that the author goes out of his way to insist is not an AF joke.

Going to be a long day for us news junkies. :roll:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:18 pm
bill_g wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:40 am This is why I make these models.
It’s not just poots, trumpistas, sov cuts, and other obviously delusional people who, ignore inconvenient facts. My time in IT was constantly plagued by wishful thinking. I hope you get enough “satisfaction” from doing what you know is professional and right. (P.S. Saw your post on the Bundy thread; this kind of “plagiarism” cum laziness seems to have become more common since the internet made so much useful information readily available). :smoking:
Mornin Uni -

This is the sixth or twelth time someone has "borrowed" my ideas. I'm constantly having to solve little problems. Having started my career as a contract engineer for GM and Ford, I was used to my ideas belonging to the people that hired me. It was their IP, not mine. So, when I landed in telecom work, though the company paid my salary, the customer paid the company, and therefore the single solution I created was the customer's IP. We never write contracts that even discuss IP. Perhaps we should have.

In some respects it is flattering that my work lives on and other people continue to replicate it even if they never know who did it first.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAVLiEV
The House has voted with a slim bipartisan majority to federally decriminalize marijuana.

The vote was 220 to 204. Republicans Tom McClintock of California, Brian Mast and Matt Gaetz, both of Florida, joined the majority of Democrats in supporting the bill, while Democrats Henry Cuellar of Texas and Chris Pappas of New Hampshire voted against.

The bill, sponsored by Democratic Rep. Jerry Nadler of New York, will prevent federal agencies from denying federal workers security clearances for cannabis use, and will allow the Veterans' Administration to recommend medical marijuana to veterans living with posttraumatic stress disorder, plus gains revenue by authorizing a sales tax on marijuana sales.

The bill also expunges the record of people convicted of non-violent cannabis offenses, which House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said, "can haunt people of color and impact the trajectory of their lives and career indefinitely."
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Prince Andrew repays cash amid financial dispute”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60961791

“According to the court papers, Mrs Isbilen claims Mr Turk advised her to make a "gift" of £750,000 to Prince Andrew, which it is claimed she was misled into thinking was for assistance with her passport.”

I’m sure this must be the only instance of Prince Andrew being involved in such dubious behaviour.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Oh yeah. Let's drill into whataboutism on national TV to imagine the asymmetry in public reaction and wonder out loud why that would be. I can't quite put my finger on it. Immabettin Mel asked for this interview.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Smith would have been arrested but apparently Chris Rock insisted it was nothing. That was the last reporting I heard about it.

About the slap, Smith actually laughed pretty hard at the joke himself and then after he saw his wife’s reaction that’s when he lost it.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... ptoms.html
10 Stomach Symptoms You Should Never Ignore

1. Prolonged diarrhea (especially if paired with fever, cough or loss of taste and smell)

2. Blood in your stool

3. Severe cramps after eating

4. Difficulty swallowing

5. Unexplained weight loss (especially if accompanied by abdominal pain)

6. Chronic or prolonged constipation (especially if you're having pain)

7. Sudden, intense abdominal pain

8. Frequent, severe or worsening heartburn

9. Swollen abdomen

10. Feeling full after eating very little

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Had a great time with my niece and grand niece today at Camden Market in London.
Camden Market.jpg
Camden Market.jpg (71.75 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
:thumbsup:

It's frightening to see how much sugar is consumed there, especially from someone that never eats sugary shit like all these hand crafted diabetic coma treats.
Attachments
Camden Market 2.jpg
Camden Market 2.jpg (111.14 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

Fun!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I thought this item on last night's newscast here in The Cities was interesting, thought any Prince fans here might enjoy it -

Film Of Prince At Age 11 Discovered In Archival Footage Of 1970 Mpls. Teachers Strike
Deep in the WCCO film archives are hundreds, if not thousands of opportunities to travel back in time. And on one reel a treasure lay hidden, untouched, for 52 years.

The date was April 1970. Minneapolis Public Schools educators went on strike.

WCCO restored the film to offer context to the educators strike that happened in the same district just last month.

When WCCO Production Manager Matt Liddy learned 13 minutes of video had been restored from film in 1970, he decided to give it a look.

“I grew up in Minneapolis, so all I cared about was looking at cool old buildings from the place I grew up. Did I recognize my old school? Did I recognize any landmarks?” Liddy said.

His curiosity turned into a discovery when he saw a reporter interviewing kids as teachers picketed in the background next to school. And there was one young boy in particular who answered a question that left Liddy speechless.

“I immediately just went out to the newsroom and started showing people and saying, ‘I’m not gonna tell you who I think this is, but who do you think this is?’ And every single person [said] ‘Prince,’” Liddy said.
More at the link above.

The televised story WCCO put out at YouTube -

tek

Post by tek »

Wow.
raison de arizona

Holy crap, amazing! Thanks for that, I’ll be passing it around today.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That Prince video is the best. I will have to show it to my Mom. She is 86 years old and she LOVES Prince. She was heartbroken when he passed away.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

HatIsWithCriminalDefendants@Popehat
Boxers accustomed to fighting unconscious, hogtied opponents revolt in face of new rule allowing unconscious, hogtied opponents to have one arm free

https://t.co/5jUIYkgYbz
Why Hundreds of New York City Prosecutors Are Leaving Their Jobs
New burdens, low pay and pandemic malaise prompted the resignations of a fifth of the legal work force in Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn.
DISCOVERY!

Sung to "Tradition" from Fiddler on the Roof.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I wasn’t the only one who thought Fox “News.”

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess that's the leftovers of the rabid J6 Republicans :twisted:
Tiredretiredlawyer

I was snookered.

https://www.snopes.com
Mayim Bialik Targeted in Phony CBD Gummies Endorsement, False Allegations
One of the false claims was that Mayim Bialik had endorsed CBD gummies.

Rating

False

About this rating
Context

Online ads claimed that allegations "had been confirmed" against actor and "Jeopardy" host Mayim Bialik. Clicking those ads led to fake CBD gummies endorsements that featured her image and likeness. The truth was that there were no allegations and she never endorsed any CBD gummies products.

The misleading article that was written to look like it came from Fox News, but in reality had nothing to do with the company, read as follows:
Mayim Bialik reverses dementia solution sparks huge lawsuit pressure on Fox, she finally fights back on air

By Brit Hume | Fox News

Return to “General Stuff”