Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

June bug

Re: Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Post by June bug » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:49 pm

maydijo wrote:I remember once a friend of mine who is against marriage equality threw her arms up in disgust and said, "Where does it end?"

Where does it end? Maybe when everyone has equal rights under the law, how does that suit?
:thumbs: :thumbs:

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Equality won out - it's a yes!

Nearly 80% of eligible Australians had their say (this, in a country that is known for its political apathy.) In every single state and territory, Yes won the day. On a federal level, nearly 62% of people voted Yes, 38% voted No.

Considering turn-out was slightly higher with the oldies than with the younguns, this is about as definitive a result as you can ask for: Australians want marriage equality!

Love wins. Equality wins. Fair go wins. :mbounce: :bunny: :cheer1: :cheer: :happydance: :lovestruck:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Congrats!!!!!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:26 pm

:thumbs:

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:32 pm

:-D :clap: :thumbs:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:48 pm

:thumbs: :cheer1: :cheer: :bunny:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 pm

As soon as it's legal, of course, I'm going to have to divorce my husband and find me a woman to marry.

What? Now that gay marriage is legal, doesn't that mean we all have to marry people who are our same sex?

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:18 pm

:thumbs:

:-D

:daydream:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Yay!!!!!

Live coverage. No vote leader tool named Shelton* taking questions at 7:20pm ET. Labor's Terri Butler at 7:30pm.

Lyle Shelton (lobbyist)
Lyle Shelton is a lobbyist on Christian issues. He was a former youth pastor and a local councillor. He served as the Chief of Staff of the Australian Christian Lobby for six years and was appointed as Managing Director in May 2013.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Before the vote was announced the Yes campaign counseled its supporters not to gloat if Yes won the day. Screw that. I'm going to gloat and if they don't like it, too bad.

The comments from the No team are funny though. (I can say that since they lost, neener neener.) Senator Abetz has indicated that Yes only won because of celebrity endorsements. Because we don't really care about LGBTIQ friends and family members, we just care what famous people think. One random comment on a news site said that Parliament can't possibly pass this, because it'd alienate 38% of the voters. Gee, last I checked, 64 was higher than 38. Tony Abbott, the former PM, has thanked the 4.7 million Australians who support marriage between a man and a woman. Because everybody who voted No just hates straight people. Shelton has said it's only come about because the marriage equality campaign was "relentless," which I thought was an interesting word choice. Clearly he means that as a bad thing, but since when has it been bad to relentlessly pursue something you want?

And then there's this beautiful picture:
love.jpg

Congratulations, George and Luke!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Yes won only because it got more votes. That's really tough.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:58 pm

I will admit to being a little surprised, I had thought that with all the nastiness and vitriol and as mentioned previously the general political apathy that it might not have passed. I am very glad to have been wrong. What did surprise me was the general attitude of the parliament and its members who were so negative. I guess our politicians aren't the only ones who can misread their electorate. I think this is a ringing endorsement even though the opposition won't see it that way. Go Aussies.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:58 pm
I will admit to being a little surprised, I had thought that with all the nastiness and vitriol and as mentioned previously the general political apathy that it might not have passed. I am very glad to have been wrong. What did surprise me was the general attitude of the parliament and its members who were so negative. I guess our politicians aren't the only ones who can misread their electorate. I think this is a ringing endorsement even though the opposition won't see it that way. Go Aussies.
After Malheur and last year's presidential election I was surprised too, and braced for a No victory. This has gone some way towards restoring my faith in people. Some people, at least.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Good show, mates!

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:23 pm

:fiesta: :shootin: :geezerette: :banana: :happyfamily: :ymca:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 pm

maydijo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 pm
As soon as it's legal, of course, I'm going to have to divorce my husband and find me a woman to marry.

What? Now that gay marriage is legal, doesn't that mean we all have to marry people who are our same sex?
Of course not. That's silly.

It just means one of you will have to get a sex-change operation. 8-)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 pm
maydijo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Of course not. That's silly.

It just means one of you will have to get a sex-change operation. 8-)
Ugh, that just reminded me of how a friend of mine was denied coverage of her gender confirmation surgery by her insurer yesterday. The insurer will remain unnamed. Reason: the surgeon is out of the insurer's network and the insurer has no surgeons who perform gender confirmation surgery in network. My friend was very upset, but called the surgeon's finance office today. She was told this happens quite a lot. Her surgery date was pushed back a couple of months so she can work it out with the insurer. Cost without insurance: $24K for the surgery alone. That doesn't include the plane trip to another state, having to stay in the other state for 10 days for post-surgery aftercare and various and sundry expenses.

I wish my friend worked for my evil, too big to fail employer...our insurance covers gender confirmation surgery like any other surgery, with the usual hoops to jump through and that sort of thing. (I checked.)

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:43 am

maydijo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:13 pm
After Malheur and last year's presidential election I was surprised too, and braced for a No victory. This has gone some way towards restoring my faith in people. Some people, at least.
Malheur was a local jury trial so not really comparable with a national referendum. Trump, however... perhaps also different because of tribalism in politics.

A better comparison is Ireland's recent same sex marriage referendum. That too produced a high turnout and a strong "yes!" majority, surprising many, especially the church leaders who still thought they owned the nation's souls and minds (they under-estimated the ability of their congregation to politely listen to priests but decide for themselves). If I recall, only one district from about 30 voted "no" and that district was not far off evenly split.

Both of these referendum results are interesting in that they suggest a much higher level of tolerance in the general population to people who are different than we often glumly assume. And that it's an engaged sort of tolerance: a response rate of 80% is really good.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 am

OMG it's great to wake up to some good news for a change! :dance:

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 am

Foggy wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 am
OMG it's great to wake up to some good news for a change! :dance:
Indeed.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 am

mmmirele wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 pm
Ugh, that just reminded me of how a friend of mine was denied coverage of her gender confirmation surgery by her insurer yesterday. The insurer will remain unnamed. Reason: the surgeon is out of the insurer's network and the insurer has no surgeons who perform gender confirmation surgery in network. My friend was very upset, but called the surgeon's finance office today. She was told this happens quite a lot. Her surgery date was pushed back a couple of months so she can work it out with the insurer. Cost without insurance: $24K for the surgery alone. That doesn't include the plane trip to another state, having to stay in the other state for 10 days for post-surgery aftercare and various and sundry expenses.
A friend of mine is trying to get surgery at the moment, and was informed by the clinic that they don't even bother trying to get her insurance company to cover the surgeries anymore. Every other carrier has apparently signed an agreement to streamline the process, but the one she is under (only one that could be afforded in the state) refused to join the agreement and pretty much always denies such surgeries.

So now she is hoping for gofundme.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Salon: Kim Davis’ possible opponent: Man she refused a marriage license:
Davis’ opponent for re-election may be David Ermold, a gay man whom she rejected face-to-face

Kim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who refused to marry same sex-couples on religious principle is up for re-election next year. The incumbent, however, may be pitted against an old enemy when she runs: David Ermold, a gay man who was denied a marriage license by Davis’ office in 2015. Now successfully married, Ermold is apparently “seriously considering” running for Davis’ job.

“I think I could win,” Ermold told the Associated Press on Nov. 7. “I don’t think that she has learned anything from the experience at all. I really, truly think that she feels like she is right. I really don’t think she cares at all about what civil rights are,” he said.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:26 am

The Weird Science of Homophobes Who Turn Out to Be Gay

This is worthwhile reading, informative.
There is, at this point, enough research in this area to suggest that there may be something deeper to the armchair psychology. But the “secretly gay homophobe” theory is far from being a complete explanation of anti-LGBT prejudice in American politics.

Twenty percent of people who describe themselves as “highly straight” is still 10 percent fewer than the 32 percent of Americans who oppose same-sex marriage.

Just because that 20-percent subgroup is “significantly more likely” to tout an anti-LGBT ideology doesn’t mean we can assume someone like Mike Pence is likely to be covering up a secret past as a gay clubgoer just because of his anti-LGBT track record. So-called closet cases may be abundant, but there’s no way to prove that every Republican who tries to legalize anti-LGBT discrimination is hiding something.

In fact, overgeneralizing and joking as if that were the case may hurt LGBT people.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-weird ... ia=desktop

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:33 pm

Heck, Trump would talk about the Holocaust without mentioning Jews. :madguy:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:22 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:26 am
The Weird Science of Homophobes Who Turn Out to Be Gay

This is worthwhile reading, informative.
There is, at this point, enough research in this area to suggest that there may be something deeper to the armchair psychology. But the “secretly gay homophobe” theory is far from being a complete explanation of anti-LGBT prejudice in American politics.

Twenty percent of people who describe themselves as “highly straight” is still 10 percent fewer than the 32 percent of Americans who oppose same-sex marriage.

Just because that 20-percent subgroup is “significantly more likely” to tout an anti-LGBT ideology doesn’t mean we can assume someone like Mike Pence is likely to be covering up a secret past as a gay clubgoer just because of his anti-LGBT track record. So-called closet cases may be abundant, but there’s no way to prove that every Republican who tries to legalize anti-LGBT discrimination is hiding something.

In fact, overgeneralizing and joking as if that were the case may hurt LGBT people.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-weird ... ia=desktop
I consider myself highly straight, but if anything that makes me more accepting of gay marriage - after all, if I couldn't be gay no matter what, why should I expect gay people to just choose to be straight?

Return to “Social Issues”