Hijack This Thread

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

I often gloss over commercials, but sometimes one catches my eye. Maybe it's because I am a musician but this one made me LOL. Bravo, Infiniti. You got my attention (though, sorry, not buying a car from them, at least for the foreseeable future).

101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My current favorite is the Chevy Silverado Walter the cat commercial.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Not always. I HAD to find an exception. :P
I knew someone would. :lol:

10:10 on that watch would have blocked two of the three dials. Concept remains.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20220318_071238.jpg
Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I don't know where else to put this, but I can't get it out of my mind. 15 year old girls, and their lives are down the drain for a 4 hour joyride.
Several friends of mine saw the aftermath, one was in the Rouses when it happened, one lives across the street from where the car was abandoned, and a bunch of them knew her personally. My heart is broken for all of them.

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/ ... 7e840.html
northland10

Post by northland10 »

"To read this page turn off your ad-blocker" and so I did. The next message "to read this page, please subscribe."

Well f*** you. Why couldn't you say that the first time? I would have just left.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Unfortunately, I didnt get that message and I read the article. That was a seriously messed up crime. What did the children do after the carjacking? I hope the last hours before they were arrested were filled with terror and remorse.

I can’t tell from the picture - were the children white?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:21 pm "To read this page turn off your ad-blocker" and so I did. The next message "to read this page, please subscribe."

Well f*** you. Why couldn't you say that the first time? I would have just left.
Yeah, I run into that all the time. Ticks me off, too. I just left. I know sometimes you can find a workaround, but I didn't for this, although I would have liked to have known more (or I wouldn't have clicked!),
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

We’re in a hotel near Dullas Airport on our way to London and I’ve accidentally been stabbed at the base of my left thumb by a very pointy toothpick and I’m shocked at how painful it is! AND I’m left handed and I can’t even hold a fork!🤨
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:51 pm We’re in a hotel near Dullas Airport on our way to London and I’ve accidentally been stabbed at the base of my left thumb by a very pointy toothpick and I’m shocked at how painful it is! AND I’m left handed and I can’t even hold a fork!🤨
Hands are full of stuff, including nerves. I’d get it checked out to avoid permanent nerve damage.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yikes. (And have a great trip.)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:21 pm "To read this page turn off your ad-blocker" and so I did. The next message "to read this page, please subscribe."

You got that on the NOLA.com site? Never seen it before.
Google Linda Frickey for the full story.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:01 am

That's just horrible.

Thanks for the tip.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:56 pm Yikes. (And have a great trip.)
Put LOTS of sanitizer on it. Wash and squeeze when you can. Then smother with antibiotic ointment. Oh, and enjoy London! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

(You do know y’all are telling a former EMT/current Dr’s wife how to treat a puncture wound? :lol: )

Have a great trip!!
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:55 pm (You do know y’all are telling a former EMT/current Dr’s wife how to treat a puncture wound? :lol: )

Have a great trip!!
Doctors are the worst and most stubborn patients.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

northland10 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:18 pm I often gloss over commercials, but sometimes one catches my eye. Maybe it's because I am a musician but this one made me LOL. Bravo, Infiniti. You got my attention (though, sorry, not buying a car from them, at least for the foreseeable future).
Yeah, that one cracked me up, too. First, just the concept of the ad, but then the idea of all these kids doing a concert recital for a single person who's sitting in a car. That set up just really tickled me for some reason.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I have been to NOLA various times in the past so it's possible I used up a limit of views. I was just annoyed with them (the language was directed at them) but essentially making me go through a step, and get their ads, if was not going to be able to read the content anyway.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:17 pm

Yeah, I run into that all the time. Ticks me off, too. I just left. I know sometimes you can find a workaround, but I didn't for this, although I would have liked to have known more (or I wouldn't have clicked!),
The workaround is to right click on a link and then open in incognito mode for that one time (any tracking info gets intercepted and temporarily saved separate, then discarded when closing the incognito window (applies to chrome browser, others have similar private capabilities)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

northland10 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:37 pm

I have been to NOLA various times in the past so it's possible I used up a limit of views. I was just annoyed with them (the language was directed at them) but essentially making me go through a step, and get their ads, if was not going to be able to read the content anyway.
The workaroun in general is to click on the lock icon in the address bar, look for the cookies jar menu entry and remove them from this site (description is for chrome browser, others will have similar destructive powers), note no need to brute force clean all cookies from all sites via browser menu
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Julian Assange: Wikileaks founder gets married in Belmarsh prison”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60852832

:smoking:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
northland10

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:46 pm The workaroun in general is to click on the lock icon in the address bar, look for the cookies jar menu entry and remove them from this site (description is for chrome browser, others will have similar destructive powers), note no need to brute force clean all cookies from all sites via browser menu
Yeah, I know the workaround by either specifically removing specific history items, or sometimes going incognito (or using a different browser user since some systems will recognize if you are using Incognito mode). This was more a rant that if they were going to paywall me, they did not need to make me go through the extra step of turning off Adblock to tell me that.

I assume the reasons for that behavior were unintentional as that was just the order of the code and they don't want to bother taking the time to change it, or intentional as they want to make sure they can still send you ads. Granted, my eyes are fixed on the subscribe popup so I am not reading their ads, but they get their hit and pay either way.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Flatpoint High wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:58 pm NOT THE ONION! I REPEAT NOT THE ONION
https://newjerseybrief.com/2022/03/12/i ... al-cavity/
Dr. Thomas says it’s a miracle that both the farmer and his animal are still alive, and questioned what caused the bird to get stuck in there.

“I don’t really know how the bird got there, both getting it out was so complicated and damaging that I can’t imagine that getting it in could have been any fun either.”
Dr. Thomas who extracted the hen from Mr. Adam’s rectal cavity says it’s a miracle that both the man and the animal survived.
Not the ONION, perhaps, but still satire. Per Snopes it's from World News Daily Report, another satire site: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/india ... en-rectum/

Return to “General Stuff”