Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Religion in schools

Azastan
Verified:

Re: Religion in schools

Post by Azastan »

northland10 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:55 pm That may be a bit of an overgeneralization. Not every school was that way. I actually don't recall even "subtle" teaching of Christianity in school (I was raised Quaker so would likely notice more Christian teaching in the school than others). Most school Christmas carols were very much secular ones, bordering on pagan traditions (snow, bells, trees).

You must have grown up in a different time. My schools, especially elementary schools, were definitely oriented to 'we are Christians here even if we can't bluntly teach the Bible'. 'Silent Night, Holy Night' was a staple at the CHRISTMAS PTA meetings. As someone who was religion skeptical even in elementary school, I felt quite like an outsider. 'Holiday' (you know, 'holy day') breaks were Christmas and Easter, not Winter and Spring breaks.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I went to grade school in a tiny town. Probably 30% of the kids were JW and didn't do the pledge of allegiance or celebrate Xmas etc. No kid cared - don't know about the adults.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

scirreeve wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:40 am I went to grade school in a tiny town. Probably 30% of the kids were JW and didn't do the pledge of allegiance or celebrate Xmas etc. No kid cared - don't know about the adults.
Interesting that I had quite the different experience. There was significant pushback against someone like me, who didn't perform the pledge of allegiance.

As someone who was a foreigner, I was intensely aware that I was not considered a 'real' American by my fellow students. This was brought home the year that one of my teachers asked if anyone knew the difference between the UK system of government, and the US system of government. I knew, because I'd been taught at home. I was told by one child of 10 or 11 that 'if I didn't like the US, I should go back to England'. Said by a child, to a child (and who obviously wasn't going to get on a ship and head back home). I said nothing about the comparative values of the two systems, just explained the differences.

Such hate. I've never forgotten it.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

So much of this depends on time and region.

When (and where) I was in school, it was right in the middle of wave of 'oh, if we allow any religious activities, we have to allow them all? not just christian? Well, NO activities then, look what those horrible gay people did to your bible study!'
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I will admit I had managed to wander through a rather sheltered world from a bunch of the nastiness and I realize that there were others schools and other towns that were not that way. I was a child of the late 70s early 80s so that may be a bit different that others.

ETA: There is also the issue, to be honest, that I may have missed signals that somebody of a different or no faith may have picked up. That is why conversations like this are important, to hear what others hear.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Not so much religion in schools, but religious schools. I guess.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Religion and Politics”