Rest in Peace

Fortinbras

Re: Rest in Peace

Post by Fortinbras »

Frank Vincent, an actor who played a Mafia kingpin on The Sopranos, has died at age 78, from complications of heart surgery.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.3493561

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

TollandRCR wrote:The huge question: did the bombing of Hiroshima and then Nagasaki save Japanese lives? I have had civil discussions with Japanese professors who accepted that the war emperor (Hirohito) had to be displaced. Two of MacArthur's aides agreed with me.

Should you ever visit Japan make time for Hiroshima. There is no experience remotely like it. American veterans visit it and, like me, cry most of the time. It is one thing to have stopped evil; it is another to have caused it.
Oh yes. We went last year. The museum is very graphic and so I shielded our kids from parts of it (the life-size mannequins with their skin dripping off them, and the exhibits which show actual human body parts) and tried to focus their attention on other exhibits. The story about the little girl who died of cancer ten years after the bomb was heart-breaking. We touched the tiles that were melted by the heat. And yes, we cried. Afterwards we walked in the park and sat on a bench overlooking the Atomic Dome and had a good long talk with the kids about all the many good people who are working hard to make sure nothing like that ever happens again.

And then Trump was elected. Thanks, American voters!

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

On a personal note, my father in law died last week. He was elderly and had been ill for a good many years, and so, while we mourn, we are also grateful that he is no longer in pain.

Edith Windsor's death yesterday should also be mentioned. She was a brave, pioneering woman in the fight for marriage equality.

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

maydijo wrote:On a personal note, my father in law died last week. He was elderly and had been ill for a good many years, and so, while we mourn, we are also grateful that he is no longer in pain.
Condolences to you and the family. :bighug:
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

maydijo, :bighug:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

Thanks. We really are okay. He had a lovely peaceful death surrounded by his family. We were supposed to lose him at Easter, but he defied expectations. Because everyone was prepared for it then, this doesn't seem like such a blow. Instead it seems like we had a bonus few months with him. Back then my husband said that he'd go when he was ready, and considering the circumstances of his death, it certainly seems as if it was his choice. Not all deaths are tragic. He had a good life up until the past 5 or 6 years, and a good death, and what more can anyone ask for than that?

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Rob Nigh, the lawyer who energetically defended Tim McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber, has died at age 57.

http://hosted2.ap.org/TXAMA/9fe6901e65e ... cfa5a70f06

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Barbara Blaine, founder of the Survivors' Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP), died on Sept 24th, age 61, of uncommon heart ailment.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/toledo ... =186761171

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Swiss-American mountaineer Norman Dyhrenfurth dead at 99
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS VIENNA — Sep 27, 2017, 7:15 AM ET

Norman Dyhrenfurth, a Swiss-American mountaineer and filmmaker who led the successful U.S. expedition in 1963 to Mount Everest that put six climbers on the summit and inspired generations of Americans, has died. He was 99. Ditta Vogt, the sister of Dyhrenfurth's long-time partner, Maria Sernetz, said Wednesday Sept. 27, 2017 that he died Sunday in a Salzburg hospital.

Norman Dyhrenfurth, a Swiss-American mountaineer and filmmaker who organized the successful American expedition in 1963 to Mount Everest that put six climbers on the summit and inspired generations of Americans, has died. He was 99.

Ditta Vogt, the sister of Dyhrenfuhth's long-time partner, Maria Sernetz, said he died Sunday in a Salzburg, Austria, hospital of natural causes.

Dyhrenfurth assembled the historic team of 19 mountaineers and scientists for the 1963 Everest Expedition that practically launched the modern U.S. mountaineering and outdoor industry by putting the first Americans on top of the world's highest peak. The U.S.-led mountaineering expedition he led included 900 porters carrying about 26 tons of food, clothing, equipment and scientific instruments.

But he also was an accomplished cameraman and director who was head of the UCLA Film School in the 1950s and worked on movies such as "Five Days One Summer" and "The Eiger Sanction," plus TV shows such as "Americans on Everest."

In the half-century since the famous American expedition, mountaineering has changed so much that it is sometimes difficult to appreciate just how adventurous it was for a team of Americans to set out in 1963 trying to climb Everest by two different routes at once.
http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireSto ... 9-50122554

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

Fortinbras wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:55 pm
Barbara Blaine, founder of the Survivors' Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP), died on Sept 24th, age 61, of uncommon heart ailment.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/toledo ... =186761171
I know several people who have been abused by clergy, and the damage that it has done to them is beyond measure. All have found help, fortunately, through SNAP or other organizations. This woman made a tremendous difference in the lives of thousands of people whose lives were destroyed by the sickness of men who abused positions of power and trust to feed their illness.

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Internationally infamous fake-news writer Paul Horner dies in Phoenix

Fake-news pioneer Paul Horner, whose hoaxes drew international attention on the Internet and during the 2016 presidential election, died in Phoenix on Sept. 18, officials confirmed. He was 38.

For at least six years, Horner sprayed the Internet with intentionally false stories designed to inflame readers. Those stories often went viral on Facebook, allowing him to misinform tens or hundreds of thousands of people — including eventual voters — from his Phoenix apartment.

"All the stuff I write has a moral purpose of targeting things I don’t like in society," Horner told The Arizona Republic in a September 2016 interview. "Anybody who gets tricked by my stuff is people that I’m targeting, trying to make them change the way they think."

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office spokesman Mark Casey said in a statement Tuesday afternoon that there were no signs of foul play in Horner's death, which is under investigation.

"Interviews with Mr. Horner’s family indicate the deceased was known to use and abuse prescription drugs. Evidence at the scene suggested this could be an accidental overdose," the statement said. <SNIP>
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... 701038001/

FWIW another article from an unfamiliar site

Is the Internet’s most famous hoaxer Paul Horner dead?
http://www.thatsnonsense.com/internets- ... rner-dead/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

0F00195D-6CD3-47DF-BE9D-7B12801ECDB9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

91, what a life. Repped Playboy TV for years, the stories... Get me drunk and I'll tell you about a night with Jenny McCarthy at Webster Hall in NYC before she was PMOY (Playmate of the Year) :P

Hef must be having a blast now that equipment is recharged! Look out angel girls :lol:
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:28 pm
91, what a life. Repped Playboy TV for years, the stories... Get me drunk and I'll tell you about a night with Jenny McCarthy at Webster Hall in NYC before she was PMOY (Playmate of the Year) :P

Hef must be having a blast now that equipment is recharged! Look out angel girls :lol:
Oh, Licious . . .
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

With Hefner, it may take extra effort to close the casket lid.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

FORTINBRAS!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: out of 10!!
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter »

Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 am

Gentlemen (Foggy, you too!): There are ladies present. :geezerette:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:rotflmao: He was a horn dog, for sure.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

ObjectiveDoubter wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:18 am
Nuttin most ladies here haven't seen, if I may speculate.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

ObjectiveDoubter wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:18 am
Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 am

So is the problem offending us? Or managing expectations?
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

:rimshot:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Before moving to California, the Playboy Mansion was in Chicago. Hugh Hefner gave a tour in 1966 showing off the mansion's unusual features.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Anne Jaffreys, who played Marian Kerby, "the Ghostess with the Mostess", on the TV series TOPPER, died at age 94. She also played Tess Trueheart on the TV series of DICK TRACY, and a slew of B movies.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

My goodness, I didn't think she was still a live. Her co-stars Robert Sterling(husband), Leo G Carroll, and Neil(Buck) are all long dead.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Anne Jeffreys

I remember seeing her in Camelot when I was little.

Return to “Current Events”