Sanctions and Support

MN-Skeptic

Re: Sanctions and Support

Post by MN-Skeptic »

New York Times -

A Russian-owned yacht is stuck in Norway as oil suppliers refuse to refuel it.
A Russian-owned superyacht is stranded in northern Norway because local oil suppliers refuse to refuel the ship amid Russia’s war in Ukraine and the sanctions that many countries have imposed on Moscow as a result.

The yacht, “Ragnar,” is owned by the Russian oligarch Vladimir Strzhalkovsky, a former K.G.B. agent who made his fortune in nickel mining and is a longtime associate of President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia. Mr. Strzhalkovsky has also served as deputy minister.

Although Mr. Strzhalkovsky is not on the European Union’s sanctions list targeting Russia since its invasion of Ukraine, politicians from several Norwegian parties have urged their government to confiscate the superyacht.

Norwegian law prevents the government from doing so without an E.U. directive, Foreign Minister Anniken Huitfeldt told the public broadcaster NRK. She added that because Norway was not a member of the bloc, “there are no established channels for third-party countries like Norway to come with their own suggestions for the list.”

The ship has been moored for several weeks in Narvik, a port city in northern Norway, the boat’s captain, Rob Lancaster, told NRK. “We are a Western crew of 16,” the broadcaster reported him as saying. “We have nothing to do with the owner.”

Sven Holmlund, a local oil supplier, offered little sympathy for those aboard the vessel. “Why should we help them?” he told NRK. “They can row home. Or use a sail.”
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:07 am Estiveoshot_20220315_210636.jpg
:thumbsup:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:mad: :mad: :mad:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Huh, wonder what it means? :think:
20B60E04-4CBE-4E1C-BD34-8801433D8439.jpeg
20B60E04-4CBE-4E1C-BD34-8801433D8439.jpeg (111.3 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:19 pm Hmm, what do think that means? Guess it's just a mystery.
Jon Cooper @joncoopertweets wrote: Does anyone have any idea why there were ZERO Republicans on Russia’s sanctions list? 🤨
Because they didn't want to accidentally sanction someone who actually has money or is doing business there?
raison de arizona

Travis Akers @travisakers wrote: CEO of @Nestle Mark Schneider says the company will not exit Russian markets or suspend business with the Putin regime.

These are the companies and products produced under the Nestle umbrella.
Nestle's Russia Ties Puts Company in Twitter Users' Crosshairs

While many companies have suspended operations in Russia due to the war in Ukraine, Swiss food conglomerate Nestle has continued to provide essential products to Russia despite the mounting pressure to cut ties.

On Thursday, Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal tweeted that he spoke with Nestle CEO Mark Schneider "about the side effect of staying in [the] Russian market."

"Unfortunately," Shmyhal wrote, "he shows no understanding. Paying taxes to the budget of a terrorist country means killing defenseless children & mothers. Hope that Nestle will change its mind soon."

Nestle has halted advertisements in Russia and will not be working on any capital investment, and stopped shipping non-essential items like espresso coffee and mineral water, but has continued to provide more essential items like baby food to Russia, Bloomberg reported.
:snippity:
https://www.newsweek.com/nestles-russia ... rs-1689068

Do I want to see a shortage of baby food in Russia? No, but I am also unwilling to have my dollars support the killing of children in Ukraine. So screw Nestle. There definitely are products on this list that I previously bought, but will not any longer.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

There are lists being maintained at Yale School of Management tracking the status of businesses with ties to Russia. There are four lists at the site:

1 - WITHDRAWAL - Clean Break: companies completely halting Russian engagements
2 - SUSPENSION - Keeping Options Open for Return: companies temporarily curtailing operations while keeping return options open
3 - SCALING BACK - Reducing Activities: companies scaling back some but not all operations, or delaying investments
4 - :evil: DIGGING IN - Defying Demands for Exit: companies defying demands for exit/reduction of activities

You can see the lists at https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-40 ... ome-remain.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
raison de arizona

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:42 pm There are lists being maintained at Yale School of Management tracking the status of businesses with ties to Russia. There are four lists at the site:

2 - SUSPENSION - Keeping Options Open for Return: companies temporarily curtailing operations while keeping return options open
3 - SCALING BACK - Reducing Activities: companies scaling back some but not all operations, or delaying investments
4 - :evil: DIGGING IN - Defying Demands for Exit: companies defying demands for exit/reduction of activities

You can see the lists at https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-40 ... ome-remain.
Wow, great list :thumbsup: thanks for that!
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:47 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:42 pm There are lists being maintained at Yale School of Management tracking the status of businesses with ties to Russia. There are four lists at the site:

Wow, great list :thumbsup: thanks for that!
Reebok and Subway :nope:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I almost picked up some Smarties at the checkout today. Boy, did I dodge a bullet (no disrespect intended.)
May the bridges I burn light my way.

ImageImageImage x5
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Russia has accused Canada of childishly annotating a letter it sent at the United Nations seeking support for its draft resolution on providing aid access and civilian protection in Ukraine.

In a spat on Twitter, Canada's UN mission added multiple remarks to the March 16 missive from Russia's UN ambassador, Vassily Nebenzia.

"Thank you Russia for your letter dated March 16," Canada's UN mission tweeted.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-18/ ... /100920686

One such edit included annotating a section of the Russian letter that read: "Like other members of the international community, we are gravely concerned about its deterioration."

Canada crossed out the first few words and changed the rest to read: "We are not gravely concerned about its deterioration," and inserted at the end "because we are the primary cause".

etc

raison de arizona

I posted that earlier in the Canada thread. It’s funny. I suggest reading it. Xpost
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:44 pm A little well-deserved Canadian snark.
► Show Spoiler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:31 pm
Do I want to see a shortage of baby food in Russia? No, but I am also unwilling to have my dollars support the killing of children in Ukraine. So screw Nestle. There definitely are products on this list that I previously bought, but will not any longer.
My cat will eat almost nothing but Fancy Feast.

She is going to have to learn to eat something else.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My aunt, who moved to the Berkeley hills in the 60s, kept a list of Nestle products to boycott stuck to her fridge. It looked like a regular letter sized paper folded in thirds but when you unstuck it, it turned out to be accordion pleated. It cascaded to the floor like a waterfall and puddled at your feet when opened.
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Nestlé has been killing babies since I was a kid!
But I was lucky. My mom was an early active member of La Leche League.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

keith wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:53 am

My cat will eat almost nothing but Fancy Feast.

She is going to have to learn to eat something else.
This is going to be tough for animal owners, cats in particular. Do be careful trying to move your cat to a different brand. Cats, on occasion, WILL starve to death rather than switch foods (unlike dogs, which will eventually eat).

Unfortunately, Purina make several prescription diets for cats and dogs, such as ultrahydrolyzed protein diets, which may be the only thing an individual cat or dog can eat without incurring severe allergic reactions. Dogs in particular are susceptible to allergic reactions of this nature.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

There are a lot of companies on the list that are doing the same thing Nestle is - cutting back on some products/services but continuing to provide others, especially essentials. It's a good resource to check if there are other companies that should be boycotted as well.
raison de arizona

Olga Tokariuk @olgatokariuk wrote: Some German citizens launched a petition demanding to stop buying natural gas from Russia and financing its war in Ukraine. Last I checked, the counter on the website showed that Germany paid Russia more than 3 bln euro since the start of the war on Feb 24
stopgas.org
Stop funding the war

The EU paid more 15 bln to Russia for its fossil fuels since the invasion of Ukraine began on Feb 24, according to this source. Stop funding Russian war against Ukraine! https://crea.shinyapps.io/russia_counter/
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:46 am
Oooooooh...... I saw these puppies demo'd in an FPX (Fire Power eXercise) a couple of years ago ..... Lovely godson got me an "ask no questions" access.

Fastest (Mach 3.5 on burnout) MANPAD on the market that chucks 3, independent, explosive filled, tungsten spears at the target on impact that also does a spanking good job on light armored vehicles if required as well.

Almost as much fun to shoot as a Carl Gustav but with a lot less of the internal organ shaking Charlie G bestows.....

Love my godson when we bond over a mutual enjoyment of turning government money into noise.....
raison de arizona

I'd like to get a full transcript of his remarks if anyone runs across it.
Pope asserts Ukraine right to defense in blasting Russia war
Pope Francis is denouncing the “perverse abuse of power” on display in Russia’s war in Ukraine

ROME -- Pope Francis on Friday denounced the “perverse abuse of power” on display in Russia’s war in Ukraine and called for aid to Ukrainians who he said had been attacked in their “identity, history and tradition” and were “defending their land.”

Francis’ comments, in a message to a gathering of European Catholic representatives, marked some of his strongest yet in asserting Ukraine’s right to exist as a sovereign state and to defend itself against Russia’s invasion.

It came just days after Francis told the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, that the concept of a “just war” was obsolete since wars are never justifiable and that pastors must preach peace, not politics.

Those comments, during a video call Wednesday with Kirill, seemed to be an indirect jab at the patriarch’s apparent defense of the war. Kirill, who is close to Russian President Vladimir Putin, has seemingly justified the invasion by describing it as part of a struggle against sin and pressure from liberal foreigners to hold “gay parades.” He has blamed the West and a fellow Orthodox patriarch for fomenting enmity between Ukraine and Russia and echoed Putin in insisting they are “one people.”

In his comments Friday, Francis did not mention Russia by name — evidence of the Vatican’s tradition of not identifying aggressors and its attempts to keep open a dialogue with Kirill's church. But Francis strongly backed Ukraine.

"The heartbreaking scream for help from our Ukrainian brothers pushes us as a community of believers not just to serious reflection, but to cry with them and work for them; to share the anguish of a people wounded in its identity, history and tradition,” Francis told the meeting in Bratislava, Slovakia.

“The blood and tears of the children, the suffering of women and men who are defending their land or fleeing from the bombs shake our conscience. Once again humanity is threatened by a perverse abuse of power and partisan interests, which condemns defenseless people to suffer all forms of brutal violence.”

Kirill, for his part, insisted that Francis and the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, who also spoke by video call with the patriarch this week, understood the Russian position and were “sympathetic” to it. He repeated that the goal of the Russian Orthodox Church “despite the very negative political context" was to preserve the “spiritual unity of our people - the Russian and Ukrainian peoples - as a single people who emerged from the Kiev Baptismal font.”

Neither the Vatican nor Lambeth Palace expressed sympathy with the Russian position in their readouts of the calls and did not refer to Russians and Ukrainians as one people.
https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... r-83527041
raison de arizona

A macabre suggestion for Subway since they are keeping their sandwich shops in Russia open.
PATRICE O'ROURKE ⛦🇺🇦 @Patrice_Brost1 wrote: .@SUBWAY You know how you wrap your sandwiches in paper? Hey, how about in Russia you imprint photos of dead Ukrainian children on the paper so you could still sell your sandwiches there but when Russians open up their sandwiches they'll see dead Ukrainian kids. A win win.
raison de arizona

Denys Shmyhal @Denys_Shmyhal wrote: Ukraine government official
Talked to @Nestle CEO Mr. Mark Schneider about the side effect of staying in Russian market. Unfortunately, he shows no understanding. Paying taxes to the budget of a terrorist country means killing defenseless children&mothers. Hope that Nestle will change its mind soon.
raison de arizona

They've got to figure out a way to get Europe off Russian gas, like now two weeks ago now. The machine must be starved.
Klitschko @Klitschko wrote: Every day that passes, more civilians are killed. Every business relationship with Russia means more money to finance this genocide.
STOP IT NOW.
#StopPutinsWar #FreeUkraine #WeAreAllUkrainians #StandWithUkraine #StopTheWar #StopWar #Ukraine #United #SupportUkraine #StandTogether

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”