Hijack This Thread

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:21 pm https: //twitter.com/CheriJacobus/status/1502651473200656384
The question becomes did she send him the autographed photo, and likewise did JS send her that key?
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Julian Assange denied permission to appeal against extradition”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60743322

“Assuming the home secretary approves the extradition - which may not be before June - Mr Assange can still try to open up the parts of the US case he lost way back in January 2021.
They include potentially important questions about whether his actions as Wikileaks chief were protected by human rights safeguards concerning freedom of speech.
So while the Supreme Court's decision means he's closer than ever to extradition, this affair is not over yet.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Uninformed wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:13 pm “Julian Assange denied permission to appeal against extradition”:

“Assuming the home secretary approves the extradition - which may not be before June - Mr Assange can still try to open up the parts of the US case he lost way back in January 2021.
They include potentially important questions about whether his actions as Wikileaks chief were protected by human rights safeguards concerning freedom of speech.
So while the Supreme Court's decision means he's closer than ever to extradition, this affair is not over yet.”
With Brexit it is unclear as to how much the UK will still consider themselves bound by the European Human Rights Treaty, Sovereignity and foreign judges etc.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:35 pm
Uninformed wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:13 pm “Julian Assange denied permission to appeal against extradition”:

With Brexit it is unclear as to how much the UK will still consider themselves bound by the European Human Rights Treaty, Sovereignity and foreign judges etc.
Oh that's an interesting point that hadn't occurred to me. It may be a whole 'nother ballgame now!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/adm-r ... ar-AAV4yiN
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Pennsylvania’s former Health Secretary has been named one of USA Today’s ‘Women of the Year.’

Admiral Rachel Levine is the U.S. Assistant Secretary for Health in the Biden administration.

Dr. Levine is part of a distinguished list of women published by USA Today, including Melinda French Gates, Simone Biles, and Vice President Kamala Harris.
Go, Admiral!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:clap:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

Not related to a book I'm reading now, but the institutional inertia to replace "outdated" geographic names is progressing a bit here in Colorado

The Clear Creek County commissioners voted to rename Mount Evans. Here's what happens next
CLEAR CREEK COUNTY, Colo. — The Clear Creek County Board of County Commissioners have voted to rename Mount Evans to honor the Indigenous people of Colorado, and the recommendation will now go on to the state and federal naming boards.

The Mestaa'ehehe Coalition — Mestaa'ehehe means Owl Woman in Cheyenne — said Tuesday's decision came after three weeks of meetings, public comments and discussions.

They recommended the new name of Mount Blue Sky. The Arapaho were known as the Blue Sky People and the Cheyenne have a ceremony each year called Blue Sky, so the coalition decided that name was more appropriate.

:snippity:

A spokesperson for the Mestaa'ehehe Coalition said the recommendation will now go to the Colorado Geographic Naming Advisory Board for consideration. Then, they will pass it along to Colorado Gov. Jared Polis, who will then pass his recommendation along to the United States Board of Geographic Names, which will make the final decision.
I may not be around when this finally happens, but it is a start to remove the name of an infamous Governor of Colorado. Hey, they replaced McKinley with Denali, so there's hope.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fuel thefts now a problem in Texas.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Not to be alarmist, but quietly start stocking up on basics around the house. NOW. Today.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:00 am Not to be alarmist, but quietly start stocking up on basics around the house. NOW. Today.
Why?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:07 am
bill_g wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:00 am Not to be alarmist, but quietly start stocking up on basics around the house. NOW. Today.
Why?
For the worst reason of all: I didn't listen last time. My Spidey sense woke me up saying get off work early, and go get staples.

It's as stupid as that. In less than a month we'll know if I'm a prophet or an idiot.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Let's put it this way. If you have some spuds with growing eye on them, turn some sod over in your yard and bury them. You may be needing them.

That's how intense my Spidey sense is this morning.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Bill you’re scaring me too. Potassium iodide kinda supplies? Or general :hittingthefan: supplies?

TRL, Slim, Sam -how did you know it was time for cataract surgery? Doc tell you or…?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:29 pm Bill you’re scaring me too. Potassium iodide kinda supplies? Or general :hittingthefan: supplies?

TRL, Slim, Sam -how did you know it was time for cataract surgery? Doc tell you or…?
Scared is the wrong word. Concerned would be appropriate. The urgency is fading in me, but only because I've had a bunch of stuff to do this morning. However! The last time I ignored this feeling, I couldn't get toilet paper for months. Then we couldn't get flour, sugar, noodles, Rice-a-Roni, etc. The pillagers pillaged. So, I've been accumulating this year. I have a very short list of non-perishables to get like 10# sugar and flour, and another box of matches. And maybe some more candles.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I loved this -

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Leave it to a woman!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:01 am Leave it to a woman!
:dance: We are pretty awesome when you get right down to it! :batting:
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

We Can Do It!.png
We Can Do It!.png (279.86 KiB) Viewed 991 times
:thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

NOT THE ONION! I REPEAT NOT THE ONION
https://newjerseybrief.com/2022/03/12/i ... al-cavity/
Dr. Thomas says it’s a miracle that both the farmer and his animal are still alive, and questioned what caused the bird to get stuck in there.

“I don’t really know how the bird got there, both getting it out was so complicated and damaging that I can’t imagine that getting it in could have been any fun either.”
Dr. Thomas who extracted the hen from Mr. Adam’s rectal cavity says it’s a miracle that both the man and the animal survived.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Useless things we learned when we were today years old:

Find an ad for an analog watch. What time is it in the ad? Now, find ANY OTHER AD FOR AN ANALOG WATCH. What time is it now? How about now? NOW?

It’s always gonna be the same. :shock:
► Show Spoiler
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:23 am Useless things we learned when we were today years old:

Find an ad for an analog watch. What time is it in the ad? Now, find ANY OTHER AD FOR AN ANALOG WATCH. What time is it now? How about now? NOW?

► Show Spoiler
Also that position neatly frames the manufacturers name and / or logo on most watches.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Never realized it until now. Totally true.
Attachments
watch ads 1010.jpg
watch ads 1010.jpg (174.71 KiB) Viewed 923 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:23 am Useless things we learned when we were today years old:

► Show Spoiler
Not always. I HAD to find an exception. :P
DFF85893-2CE7-405D-9D71-97EED96CAF0A.jpeg
DFF85893-2CE7-405D-9D71-97EED96CAF0A.jpeg (87.62 KiB) Viewed 900 times
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:01 am Leave it to a woman!
Particularly one who has experience in stepping on men.

Return to “General Stuff”