Russia Invades Ukraine

pipistrelle

Re: Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:14 am
Chilidog wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:06 am https: //twitter.com/vtchakarova/status/1502624752900399109?s=21

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I'm suspecting Photoshop. I see railcars under the rocket. There are several sets of tandem axles.
I think it was intended as a joke. There’s another one of a tractor pulling a plane through the air.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:14 am
Chilidog wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:06 am https: //twitter.com/vtchakarova/status/1502624752900399109?s=21

I'm suspecting Photoshop. I see railcars under the rocket. There are several sets of tandem axles.
I also suspect which begs the question: What do you call propaganda when it helps your side?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:49 am
I think it was intended as a joke. There’s another one of a tractor pulling a plane through the air.
That one would be fun!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:52 am I also suspect which begs the question: What do you call propaganda when it helps your side?
Inspirational
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Chilidog wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:06 am

Hey, I have a friend who's been on a waiting list for a commission in the Ukrainian Farmer Space Force, dammit!
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Marie Yovanovitch with Stephen Colbert

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Searched for Fuck You Putin on Etsy and here is what you can get!

https://www.etsy.com/market/fuck_you_putin
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

RVInit wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:57 pm Searched for Fuck You Putin on Etsy and here is what you can get!

https://www.etsy.com/market/fuck_you_putin
Ooooooohhhhhh! Somebody's going shopping tonight! (I especially like the Russian Warship T.)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:04 pm
Problem is this time, it could mean the end of humanity...

I respect Vindman, and feel the pain for his countryman, but what he's suggesting means the end of humanity....

Putin will go into "watch the world burn" mode if we get involved....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:05 pm
Volkonski wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:04 pm
Problem is this time, it could mean the end of humanity...

I respect Vindman, and feel the pain for his countryman, but what he's suggesting means the end of humanity....

Putin will go into "watch the world burn" mode if we get involved....
Respectfully, that's not what Vindman said and it's not his message. In fact, his message--in addition to pointing out that the US missed early chances to provide surface to air missiles to Ukraine because the US's bad intel (confirmed by the intel folks at the Senate Hearing earlier in the week) said that Kiev would fall in two days--it that the US MESSAGING sucks and is reactive to Putin's utter bullshit, allowing him to set the agenda. He advocates for an end to the US talking about what it won't do, which he says i like lighting a match to Putin's confidence that the US will not make any attempt on any front to stop him, ever.

Yes, he says US/NATO should be providing more surface to air missiles and other armaments right now, and yes he is tell you what he thinks the US/NATO did wrong 20 ten years ago and one year ago and one month ago, but he then states that what's done is done; he accepts "yes, no ground troops" and "yes, no no fly zone" for the reasons that have been repeated incessantly, and gives his opinion about what should be going on now, both on the military side and the messaging side.

He quotes Churchill: Eventually, the US will do the right thing, when all other options have been exhausted.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

max seddon @maxseddon
In southern Ukraine, Russian forces reportedly introduced a curfew in three towns and banned weapons and "non-sanctioned" protests.

Rule-breakers will be "strictly punished" by "military law enforcement." And there's a call for informants. via @zn_ua
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... es-ukraine
Brent Renaud, an award-winning US film-maker whose work has appeared in the New York Times and other outlets, has been killed by Russian forces in the flashpoint town of Irpin, outside Kyiv. A US photographer, Juan Arredondo, was wounded.

Renaud, 51, was hit in the neck and died after coming under Russian fire while working on Sunday, according to local police officials and multiple Ukrainian sources.

Jane Ferguson, a reporter for PBS Newshour who was nearby when Renaud was killed, tweeted: “Just left roadside spot near Irpin where body of American journalist Brent Renaud lay under a blanket. Ukrainian medics could do nothing to help him by that stage. Outraged Ukrainian police officer: ‘Tell America, tell the world, what they did to a journalist.’”

Just left roadside spot near Irpin where body of American journalist Brent Renaud lay under a blanket. Ukranian medics could do nothing to help him by that stage. Outraged Ukranian police officer: “Tell America, tell the world, what they did to a journalist.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

If Zelensky is taken alived by the Russians there will be a military show trial similar to the Stalin's Show Trials in 1930s. He will be tried as a terrorist along with other high ranking Ukrainian political and military leaders.

This is Putin's way to show to the world that their government was illegal from the start and as such they are criminals and are not protected by the Geneva Convention regarding prisoners of war.

And of course the GOP will lead the cheering section.

I hope that I am wrong.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Scary video, but not surprising. I'm not sure how many people forget his background was firmly KGB. Maybe this has something to do with how "poorly" the invasion has gone so far.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Christopher Miller @ChristopherJM
President Zelensky walked to a hospital today to visit wounded Ukrainian soldiers and award them with state honors for their sacrifices.

10:04 AM · Mar 13, 2022
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/ ... ine-stalin

A must read.

The Weakness of the Despot
An expert on Stalin discusses Putin, Russia, and the West.
[Russia is] a military-police dictatorship. Those are the people who are in power. In addition, it has a brilliant coterie of people who run macroeconomics. The central bank, the finance ministry, are all run on the highest professional level. That’s why Russia has this macroeconomic fortress, these foreign-currency reserves, the “rainy day” fund. It has reasonable inflation, a very balanced budget, very low state debt—twenty per cent of G.D.P., the lowest of any major economy. It had the best macroeconomic management.

So you have a military-police dictatorship in charge, with a macroeconomic team running your fiscal, military state. Those people are jockeying over who gets the upper hand. For macroeconomic stability, for economic growth, you need decent relations with the West. But, for the military security part of the regime, which is the dominant part, the West is your enemy, the West is trying to undermine you, it’s trying to overthrow your regime in some type of so-called color revolution. What happened is that the balance between those groups shifted more in favor of the military security people––let’s call it the thuggish part of the regime. And, of course, that’s where Putin himself comes from.

The oligarchs were never in power under Putin. He clipped their wings. They worked for him. If they didn’t work for him, they could lose their money. He rearranged the deck chairs. He gave out the money. He allowed expropriation by his own oligarchs, people who grew up with him, who did judo with him, who summered with him. The people who were in the K.G.B. with him in Leningrad back in the day, or in post-Soviet St. Petersburg––those people became oligarchs and expropriated the property to live the high life. Some of the early Yeltsin-era people were either expropriated, fled, or were forced out. Putin built a regime in which private property, once again, was dependent on the ruler. Everybody knew this. If they didn’t know, they learned the lesson the hard way.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

1108FF13-3F76-473A-A985-7E555269F355.jpeg
1108FF13-3F76-473A-A985-7E555269F355.jpeg (237.72 KiB) Viewed 591 times
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

That New Yorker article was a good read, thanks. One important point is Putin does not equal Russia, just as POTUS does not equal USA. One thing mentioned only in passing is Russia's lag in the Industrial Revolution which is still evident to this day. Like in the photo above. This disparity is primarily self-afflicted and after Ukraine will only get worse. Which often leads to blind nationalism as a convenient recourse, particularly with older demographics. When their kids want their toys, they may throw bricks. Another factor in the fray are the Russian mobs, but that will never be reported. Some of those guys are pretty tough, but are only motivated by self-interest.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I'm waiting for the part where something in the power structure breaks and people start getting lined up in front of walls. :twisted:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

I'm remembering the part where Gorbachev's birthmark was totally 666.

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”